No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » futuristic improvments to the factions
 Author futuristic improvments to the factions
Type Zero
Admiral

Posted: 2005-10-07 20:56   
I have been thinking on many ways to improve the reliability of Dark Space. I believe I have solved this problem by allowing factions to mimic the tech of their enemies to a certain degree that would allow for more if not a completely new form of game play.

1. I was thinking of the fact that when many ships in game are destroyed they leave behind many artifacts that could be reversed engineered to a degree that would allow for them to be implemented on the ships of the faction that recovered the alien tech I.E.- ill use the UGto as an example cause they are the most aggressive faction (in my opinion) if an UGTO ship destroys any ICC or K'luth ship they can recover tech that could make warfare much easier for them, destroying an ICC ship leaves shields and pulse beams tech that the UGto cant produce on their own, and K’luth cloaking devices and engine designs. This would allow the creators to be more inventive in their ongoing process of making Dark Space a real MMOG

2. if this new system was implemented you could bring back missions one for example would be "Destroy the research facility before it finishes researching said new tech" or something that would seem to be a threat to the other factions. Or convoy raids that award the player with money or prestige, something new that will attract new players to your game. And make the game more interesting to all fans or the sci fi genre. Me my self believes in large fleet encounters that battle it out for important resources.

2. A) Instead of the current system where you don’t have enough players to defend all border worlds. If factions could steal and implement tech from the other factions it also would add and new strategic value to the game. If ICC ships could cloak and had better armor they would be force to reckon with so would the UGto and the K'luth it would allow for the game to implement treaties and agreements that would better protect the way of life for the players in-game like a treaty the forbid the use of certain tech for a faction(s) also it would allow the game to finally include AI ships that travel between planets to help balance out planetary resources, which brings me back to the mission idea for example if a planet didn’t have enough food or minerals for day to day operations players could be tasked with the duty of correcting this economic deficiency. And thus I also think the game should get rid of bombers, this Is the only reason I believe this fact, ship based weapons can strike planetary targets I suggest that bomber if not removed can be limited to the role of planetary defense removal meaning their bombs would only damage military targets like defense bases and barracks this also would be a strategic move to improve Dark Space.

3. General ideas for the game would also be the focus on single player encounters under normal conditions like during PEACE time, meaning that there would be no bombing or large scale ship battles. If the players need points for these they can bomb and fight pirate factions or perform special operations.

I hope you can try to see my point of view when you read this
Also please keep all negative comments to the end of your post
And remember to reply honestly to my brief idea (LOL)

sincerly,

Master Vore

[ This Message was edited by: Vore on 2005-10-07 20:57 ]

Email Type Zero
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-10-07 21:09   
What do I do if the post is all negative?

No

Faction tech is there for a reason, and it suits each faction to it's own.

How would you like my cloaking EAD with AHR and pulse beams, and shields.

You show you know nothing about the game by the fact that you say "UGTO is the most agressive faction". Wrong, K'luth are, UGTO are the most energy efficant. They are the ones who do the most damage over time in any case or scenario.

Now please, think an idea through fully.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2005-10-07 21:17 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-10-07 21:24   

Mimicing other factions? Well that somewhat proses several problems...

The ability to salave tech may be a good idea for weapons which are in a way, generic. Such as torpedos...missiles, etc. But for faction specific things such as disruptors and shields, this seriously impedes the game.

How so? If another faction can mount any other factions tech, this proses the problem of inbalence, that being of ships with Shields/Cloak/Auto repair, the works (in one package). This proses the problem of people able to create ships which simply enough own all - this should not be the case in this game.

*hears SFC ringing with the word Research facilitys* Mean uh...well lets take this at an objective point of view.

This is already done in a manner with planets and researching tech; while the idea of outposts being able to do so, this would negate the need for planets altogether - this kinda er...obliterates a core concept of the game.

Also what does having not enough players have to do with technology? 0.o

Now reading on I see it getting much worse. For starters, I already stated, that ships with tech not of their factions would imbalence the game to horrible standards.

But now making treaties?

This is a war game - we play to kick ass and chew bubble gum, not to make "quality of life" - THERE IS NOT QUALITY LIFE. We just try to shoot more than the other guy.

Oh, and we had AI trannys for resources - they got removed because they were farmed.

It also, balences resources automatically now, so why waste time with having players do it...bleh, not another EvE concept...

And oh look..another trekkie idea - planetary bombardment with weapons. Maybe Core weapons, but regular weapons? Hell no. And removal of bombers, is never going to happen. Bombing is another core concept of this game, which coincides with planetary captures. To remove bombing removes another strategic part of this game.

And lastly - this is a teamwork based game - there is not peace time in a combat game. All of these changes you suggest are trying to convert DS into something its not. This is a game, not real life where there is war and deaths, this is a game where we come to have fun and shoot the hell out of each other and capture territory with friends and foe alike.

PLease Vore, for gods sakes, bear in mind fundamental concepts of the game itself.

-Ent

[ This Message was edited by: Enterprise on 2005-10-07 21:26 ]

Type Zero
Admiral

Posted: 2005-10-07 21:34   
my ideas serve to impliment some strategic importance to certian player actions also to generaly open the game up to the values of just fighting and dieing for points that concept id gonig to get old very quickly which will pull current members away from this game in favor of better more open ended games that allow the players more freedom to expand that is what my post is truely about if you didnt see that then you are a fool that is afraid of change.

Email Type Zero
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-10-07 21:36   
Quote:

On 2005-10-07 21:34, Vore wrote:
you are a fool that is afraid of change.

No I just don't want the game, of which I enjoy playing souly because of combat, to be changed to forfill YOUR needs. No one else wants this, and it would generate an array of UNFAIR ships. There is faction RESTRICTED tech for a REASON.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-10-07 22:03   
Quote:

On 2005-10-07 21:34, Vore wrote:
my ideas serve to impliment some strategic importance to certian player actions also to generaly open the game up to the values of just fighting and dieing for points that concept id gonig to get old very quickly...

For the past five years, the concept of this game has been fighting and dieing for points.

*looks around* I have been here for 3 years myself. Some longer.

It has not gotten old yet.

Quote:

...more freedom to expand that is what my post is truely about if you didnt see that then you are a fool that is afraid of change...

"Change for the good is the wise; change for the worse is the fool."

-Ent

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-10-08 01:35   
This Game will not have nor will it Ever have more Tech if any, i have given suggestions to improve this game and they have turned their noses up at it like it was nothing, the same is being done to you vore, lol im sorry bud but damn, yer suggestions are freakishly outthere man

Email GothThug {C?}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-10-08 03:45   
Quote:

On 2005-10-08 01:35, GothThug{C?} wrote:
This Game will not have nor will it Ever have more Tech if any, i have given suggestions to improve this game and they have turned their noses up at it like it was nothing, the same is being done to you vore, lol im sorry bud but damn, yer suggestions are freakishly outthere man

No, good suggestions are considered and if suitable and doable are put up. Ones that don't fit in with gameplay and are not doable, they don't put in.

Atleast Goth knows when his idea's aren't so good though...

c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2005-10-08 05:08   
I seem to recall Faustus himself taking the faction specific concept out of the game. It took the more vocal members of the community to talk him out of it.

But now, all of a sudden, faction specific tech is and always has been 'vital and intended', strange.

Page created in 0.013623 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR