No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Placebo...?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Placebo...?
Mad Bum
Grand Admiral
ExtraTerrestrial Space Bums

Posted: 2005-10-15 08:40   
I think this is a case of mass collective madness you should all be in the loony bin generally going wibble and playing with your lower lip

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-10-15 12:04   
I got poop

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Thiresias
Admiral

Posted: 2005-10-15 12:40   
Here's B

Quote:
The letter B probably started as a pictogram of the floorplan of a house in Egyptian hieroglyphs or the Proto-semitic alphabet.

By 1500 BC, the Phoenician alphabet's letter had a linear form that served as the basis for all later forms, which appeared in both the angular and more rounded forms. Its name must have corresponded closely to the Hebrew beth.

When the Ancient Greeks adopted the alphabet, they changed its name to beta and turned the letter upside-down and later added a second loop. In earlier Greek inscriptions, the letter faces to the left, but in the Greek alphabet of later times it faces to the right, although there continued to be variations between pointed and rounded loops.

The Etruscans brought the Greek alphabet to what is now Italy and left the letter unchanged. The Romans later adopted the Etruscan alphabet to write Latin, and the resulting letter, with rounded loops, has been preserved in the modern Latin alphabet used to write many languages, including English.

Email Thiresias
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2005-10-16 11:09   
I got who knows what...

Quote:
The Semitic letter Dâlet probably developed from the logogram for a fish or a door. In Semitic, Ancient Greek (Modern Greek /ð/) and Latin the letter was pronounced /d/, in the Etruscan alphabet the letter was superfluous but still maintained (see letter B). Greek letter: Δ (capital) or δ (small) (Delta).

Email Shigernafy
Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-10-16 11:27   
Welp..
Quote:
J was originally a capital of I.

Petrus Ramus (d. 1572) was the first to make a distinction between I and J. Originally, both I and J were pronounced (see IPA) as [i], [i:], and [j]; but Romance languages developed new sounds (from former [j] and [g]) that came to be represented as I and J; therefore, English J (from French J) has a sound quite different from I.

In other Germanic languages J stands for [j]. This is also true of Slavic languages that use the Latin alphabet as well as in Hungarian, Albanian, and Finnish, where it can never be a fricative.

In modern standard Italian only foreign or Latin words have J. Until the 19th century, J was used instead of I in diphthongs, as a replacement for final -ii, or in vowels groups (as in Savoja); this rule was quite strict for official writing. J is also used for rendering words in dialect, where it stands for [j], e.g. Romanesque ajo for standard aglio (garlic).

In Spanish J stands for [x ~ h] (which in some cases developed from the [dʒ] sound, i.e. the same sound that English still represents orthographically by ). In French former dʒ is now pronounced as [ʒ] (as in English measure).

In Portuguese, Turkish, Azeri and Tatar J is always prounced [ʒ].

Hebrew also influenced the English J, which in a few cases is used for [j] in place of the more normal Y. The classic example is Hallelujah which is pronounced the same as Halleluyah. See the Hebrew yod for more details.

Scotty
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-10-17 01:31   
I have the F

F developed from the digraph FH that stood for /f/.

The Etruscans were the inventors of this digraph; F on its own stood for /w/ in Etruscan as in Greek (where the letter F,called Digamma in Greek, has disappeared due to the fact that the /w/ phoneme itself disappeared.) The origin of F is the Semitic letter wâw that also represented /w/ and originally probably represented a hook or a club.

The minuscule f is not to be confused with ſ, the archaic long s (or medial s). For example, "sinfulness" is rendered as "ſinfulneſs" using the long s. The use of the long s died out by the end of the 19th century, largely to prevent confusion with f.

so it looks like we get the whole alphabet

Scotty

Email Scotty
Ramius
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2005-10-18 13:43   
The letter L is derived ultimately from the Semitic Lamed (crook/goad) which stood for the phonetic value /l/ as did the Greek letter Lambda Λ (upper case) or λ (lower case), as well as the equivalent Etruscan and Latin letters. In reference, it is spelled el or ell.

Email Ramius
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.034800 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR