No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +16.8 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » linux
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author linux
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-10-31 12:18   
Quote:

On 2005-10-31 08:44, JolesMan wrote:
terminal(command) screen? what's that?

GUI

Graphical User Interface.

shadey
Cadet

Posted: 2005-10-31 12:25   
while the gaming point is true many of the points bout ease of use are a bit outdated. The current distro are not all that much harder to use than windows, theyre just more customisable, if you dont like something in linux you change it to suit your needs. simple as that. And how is windows more developer friendly? try getting the source code for widows, not easy huh, well with linux not only is it easy, its encouraged.
and wireless can be made functional with a bit of work(ok quite a bit i admit)
and as far as your school computer being slow on linux, i have no idea why. Linux is very efficient at multitasking as it was built right from day one as a multiuser and multitasking os Windows was not. mircrosoft added these features rather late in comparison to unix (which linux gets much of its base)

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-10-31 13:47   
actually, I am running SuSE 9.2, windows configuration comfort, nearly normal linux performance, what else should I want

and about wireless devices....
at the installation: network devices found: eth0, eth1; configure?; configure; configured; (just passing through the manager)

[ This Message was edited by: DOM700 [-IMO-] on 2005-10-31 13:49 ]

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-10-31 16:05   
My master plan worked. I've been wanting to start a Windows v. Linux discussion for a while. Anyway...

Yes Backy, Windows 0wns any UNIX-based OS with VRAM. It was done horribly, not to mention complicated to expand (resizing swap partitions is kinda annoying). And the games department is a bit of a hassle (although WINE has, after 12 years, finally hit beta, and there's promise). I use Windows primarily, as I don't feel like configuring WINE all too much. And OpenOffice.org is crap.

As for Plug 'n Play, I used Mandriva Linux 10.1 and it picks up my USB pen drive. It just mounts it to /mnt/removable. And I prefer the UNIX all-in-one filesystem over windows's drives-are-separate system. I think Linux has a lot of potential as it is GPL, and it has come a long way.

Anyway, Linux has a lot of good qualities. First, the CLI. I dunno how to phrase this any clearer, but the bash prompt totally 0wns, craps on, javelin-tosses, and obliterates DOS in terms of functionality, particularly the ability to open a program without navigating to the folder it is stored in. Second, is the X Window system's flexible API. I mean, look at all the different WMs out there (KDE and WindowMaker my favorites). There's something for everybody. Their config tools are more extensive than Windows's. Software that you ned to buy for windows is standard for Linux. For example, some distros come with QTparted, which is basically Partition Magic for Linux.

Linux primarily uses OpenGL for their hardware accelerated gfx. And who says Linux got no games? There are plenty of good games for Linux. DOOM 3, UT2004, and the Sims come to mind.

For you readers who never tried Linux, I'll point you to the Knoppix website, which is a Linux distribution that runs right off the CD and never needs to touch the HD(you can theoretically run it on a comp with no HD!). Nice when your Windows installation dies and you need to back up stuff.

I can't think of other things to say about Linux, other than the usual (more stable, widely developed, GPL, etc.). Please, keep critisizing Linux. It gives me a topic to debate about.

And, I'd like to keep this civilized. No "OMG LIEK linux sux my windoze machin totally 0wnz0rs yuo...Why the screen go all blue?".

Backy, you have many good points. Keep them coming, I'm bored.

PS:
Quote:

And how is windows more developer friendly? try getting the source code for widows, not easy huh

I got the Windows 2000 source code on my machine, lol. I love these silly warez FTP sites...bug me via PM/e-mail if you want it, I guess...

[ This Message was edited by: Axalon{Absolut} on 2005-10-31 16:09 ]

Email Axalon
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-10-31 19:33   
Why would you want the windows source code?

I said it's easy to develop on windows, not easy to develop windows...

Another point:

Although the CLI owns DOS.... Dos is FAR, FAR older and much more dated than Linux. Bear in mind that Window doesn't even run of Dos anymore (if you think that, then do some research). Basicly, yes, linux is better at CLI.

Other than that, Windows is much more advanced in nearly everyway. Who says you can't change windows' GUI. Download a small 2mb program, and boom, you can apply styles gallor to suit your own.

@Axalon, you mentioned the linux all in one drive system. Yes it's nice, but have you actualy looked up the performance hit cost because of that system? It's horribly slow compaired to the way Windows handles it.

Yes, Linux uses OpenGL, and it IS a nice rendering system, but it's horribly dated now. Doom 3 uses OpenGL mostly, but it does have DX9 parts in it, it's a hybrid engine, and in all honesty, does put OpenGL up the market a bit, but so much more can be done with DX (and it's easier). Oh, also not forgetting the fact that games need to be heavily re-written to get them to work on linux. In the end, it's not just worth it.

shadey
Cadet

Posted: 2005-11-01 02:46   
linux has cute little Tux, beat that windows

[ This Message was edited by: tagar(dont fix the forums) on 2005-11-01 02:48 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-11-01 05:41   
Quote:

On 2005-11-01 02:46, tagar(dont fix the forums) wrote:
linux has cute little Tux, beat that windows

[ This Message was edited by: tagar(dont fix the forums) on 2005-11-01 02:48 ]

Owned

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-11-01 10:12   
alright....if you are using wine....stay with windows, just reboot....better performance

And....open office is bad? I am not missing anything compared to microsoft office

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-11-01 11:16   
Quote:

On 2005-11-01 10:12, DOM700 [-IMO-] wrote:
alright....if you are using wine....stay with windows, just reboot....better performance

And....open office is bad? I am not missing anything compared to microsoft office

Agree'd. Even in windows, OO is a great program. I use it to write letters to my girlfriend. I find it a lot better and easier to use than MSO.

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-11-01 12:34   
Alright, real quick to dispel one inaccuracy in the MS vs Linux argument...

Windows isnt "Better" for games... Windows has more games than Linux because many companys dont want to expend additional resources to code their game for different platforms.

Windows has a larger install base currently, so its more cost effective to code your games to it, and sell to a broader market. The Linux market isnt large enough yet for most Game companys to justify the additional expenditure to code their games for it as well.

Microsoft also leverages a lot of pull in the game industry. And hates Linux... So Microsoft brings their power to bare on any company they do business with and trys to lock them to contracts that forbid them from co-releasing on other platforms.

And while forcing game makers to not release on other platforms, their Lawyers have also go after and sued companys that made games for other platforms and not them. Not even 2 years ago, at the release of the X-box, MS sued EA games because EA was refusing to code some of their best titles for the X-Box. The MS lawyers forced them to do so, at additional cost to EA, yet still restricted them to their Sony and now Microsoft Contracts, meaning no Linux.

Should the desktop deployment of Linux swell to numbers that rival MS Windows, you will see a large sift in the number and quality of games available on Linux vs Windows...

Email Tael
Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-11-01 13:00   
Nicely said, Tael.

Anyway, my dislike for OO.o is that it is slow and a memory hog for us without ubercomputers. However, I still use it as its the most complete office suite for Linux (plus, they finally got a database program!).

In any case, Windows is still the most "usable" at the moment, due to Microsoft's vast majoity of the desktop market share (~90% I believe). Linux has potential however, and as tagar said, installation is much easier than it used to. Linux has a paltry ~2.8% of the desktop market, but 25% of the server market. Its a start. Linux still has the image of HackerOS to shake off, and that could take a while.

When will Linux get into the limelight? Many people suggest Q4 2006, when Vista is released. It all depends on how well Aero/Avalon/Indigo catch on.

And, just to clarify, I'm not a Linux fanboy, or an anti MS zealot. I got XP Pro and WinVista dual-booted on my machine. I play with Linux under the blanket of VMware these days (I did dual-boot Linux for a while alongside Windows, but whatever).

Its really hard to figure out what is the "best" OS. Windows has the sheer, brute power of marketshare, Mac OS X has Quartz Extreme for its prettiness and simplicity, and Linux is opensource and easily the most malleable of them all because of it. There is no "definitive" best OS, only a best OS for a person. Looking to play all your games? Windows is your man. Video editing got your eye? Then Mac OS is where you want to be. Want to be able to forge a "perfect" OS for your needs? Then Linux is what you want.

Now, I'll, for a change, defend the other 2 major OS's.

*goes into Windows Defense Mode*

People complain about Windows because your computer is riddled with spyware, you BSoD every 30 minutes, or your comp runs like a snail on acid.

All this could generally be prevented by NOT clicking on the "OMIGOSH fr33 pr0n!" links and having an A/V program and firewall up. Only opening e-mails from people you know helps too. Elementary computer security.

*goes into Mac OS X Defense Mode*

Nothing quite says eye candy than the Genie effect of a window minimizing to the dock, huh? There is also probably no better video editing tool than Final Cut Pro. Did I mention it's purdy?

The Mac OS has a friendly interface, is easy to learn, and now with its Darwin underbelly, presents potential for power users for the first time...

---------------------------

And you vintage people:

PS: Commodore is dead, get over it.

PPS: Amiga too. So sad.

PPPS: And BeOS. That...is dead much.

PPPPS: Why the heck do you still care about OS/2?

Email Axalon
vila
Cadet

Posted: 2005-11-04 18:24   
The reason linux owns windows, and always will own windows is because the simple fact that in linux I have total control over my system, I can choose what to compile into my kernel, I can control what services and programs that is run.
Sure windows is great for the non-techie, I don't argue with that. But a correctly configured linux will always outperform a windows box.
The only reason I personally use windows is because my unhealthy addiction to gaming for everything else linux. (programming, multimedia, servers, router)

Linux is what you make it.

//vila

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2005-11-05 01:20   
got to agree with vila on that
Thats a very good point for linux, some people dont like those NSA backdoors...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.021312 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR