No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Taking my leave
 Author Taking my leave
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-11-21 03:27   
It's come to the point in my online life (because I have no real life), where I no longer want to log into DarkSpace anymore. I still login to GCQL to say 'Hey', but it's rare that I ever see anyone online that I like talking too. Like Shig, Dem, Rock, Gideon, DarkSworde... Tons and tons of other players and friends just gone, or inactive. I used to play DarkSpace, not for the game, but for the community and friendship that I had with many of the players here. I've even met a fair few (Banshee, Drafell, Darksworde, Crash003, Viper...). The problem being that those friends play the game, and mostly look for the fun. When those people stop playing the game, a lot of other players get the chain reaction from their friends leaving because of the game and community.

I had a lot of friends here. Too many, my friends list wasn't big enough to hold everyone. At one point, I litraly had the entire community (those worth talking too anyway) on my friends list. It was a blast logging in, saying hey, and getting 20-30 replies back saying "Hey!". You felt special, almost loved... I had a lot of friends in 'high places' as some might of, or still say. People think I try to suck up, brown nose, etc, etc. I keep telling them I knew most of the mods, even admins before they where even considered mod material. I still remember Taelron being in PB, and Griff in GTN at one point. I even know the RoC, the game, everything better than some of the mods, even admins. But through no fault, but my own, did my chance of being 'premoted' (so to speak) deminish.

It's no surprise that the game is (as it is) broken, flawed and has a lot of problems. But I am taking my leave for, at most, an entirely different problem. The community, in my opinion, has dropped below what it used to be. Hardly any of us vets are left to try and defend and teach, and those who are here, play hardly at all. I miss talking to my friends... Seeing how their day has gone, what they've gotten up too, who they've humilated in-game... I don't get that anymore. I can't ask how their day has gone because they don't login. I can't ask what they've gotten up too because I've lost contact with a lot of friends. I can't ask who they've humilated in-game, because they don't play the game anymore.

I started playing this game for the game, as most people do. But I slowly clawed/climbed my way up the social ladder here, and got myself a firm grip on the vet/regular/whateveryouwanttocall it list. There was a small circle of friends, mostly all linked by my friends list. That's how a lot of new people got into the circle. It's getting increasingly hard to find people with that certain glint in their eye, and to add them to your friends list so everyone else can get to know them too. That's what this game turned into for me, a place to socialize. A place to meet new friends, to have fun with your mates... The trouble being, that I can't do that anymore.

Most of my friends here have left because of one problem, or another. All fall down to the game becoming absolutly pants. I don't think anyone can deny the fact that the game has degraded a lot. It's rescuably, but without Faustus or Tael doing some work, it's just sitting here, losing support. And that's what it's lost. My support. I don't get the niggly feeling of excitment when I log into the game anymore. I don't think "What fun I shall have slaughtering everyone in my EAD today!" anymore. Instead I think "Better not bring out my baby, she'll probably die".

Now I'm no noob, as most of you can probably agree. I don't mean to blow the trumpet or to brag, but I'm one of the more combat capable pilots here. I was famous for being in the EAD 24/7, touted as my ship by many UGTO. Now, I can live without the EAD being what it used to be. I can live with just that... I can't live with the fact that someone who has been playing for a few days (and a FEW days, no more than 15), can slaughter me in combat. Not through skill. Not through a natural ability to own vets. Not because of a special weapon. Simply because the game is flawed, and no one wants to fix it. Put simply, no matter how much skill you have, you can be beating in this game, and that takes away ALL my want to play the game. My skill, and many years of combat and game exerience now mean sod all.

It's come to the point where it has become VERY stressfull to play the game. And thats where a game stops becoming a game, and becomes a chore. Becuase that's what it feels like now. You login, have to defend HUNDREDS of planets against bombers you can't see, or respond intime too. If there IS combat, you get slaughtered because of an unseen build and unbalanced ships and weapons (ED's, PD's, MD's... The lits goes on). I loved this game. With every fibre of my being. Now, I barely feel the need to login in the morning to check the posts.

My friends, and many UGTO players have probably noticed a steady decline in my MV activity and general GCQL activity for some time now. I keep 'Doing a Dem' (loging in and out without a word), as I see in friends chat whenever I login 95% of the time.

This game has been destroyed for me.

The community has turned into a pool of selfish new players. And many of you are new to me, even those who have been here for over a year. There are those here who are just playing for personal gain. I don't mind that so much, but it's the fact that some people will go as far as to ruin the game for others. That was NEVER what DarkSpace was about. DarkSpace was about a bunch of friends playing, socializing, and having fun.

I don't see my friends anymore.
I don't see the socializing that used to happen.

I'm not having fun.

It's because of these reasons that I take my leave from the game until the point in time that it becomes playable again. I won't be anywhere near as active on GCQL as I used to be. I may sometimes just sit quietly in the corner for no reason.

To all of GTN... There are few words I can say. I know many of you feel the same way. You're all my friends, and so I say farwell to all of you, not just the few on my friends list.

Until next build....
Farwell my few friends.

- Jack

If interested, you can stay intouch via my email.
dvdgamer@hotmail.com

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* (19!) on 2005-11-21 10:07 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-11-21 05:01   
I will bet you money, within the next few posts, one of those 'selfish new players' (which in itself is pretty accurate - this is not to say all new players are selfish, its where most are at) are going to post saying 'Haha, too bad see you later we don't care' cause thats pretty much the gist I get from them myself.

Jack here, you know, has probably hit the finest point of probably why im hating this game right now, and a better reason why I unsubscribed.

When you've been here for as long as I have, you've pretty much seen it all. But you know, before these last two patches, this game was worth the wait everytime - simply because the rest of the community was willing to wait too. The community bless it, was really Darkspace, and the reason I logged on.

You can laugh and call us 'lobby campers' but you know, it used to be one hell of a time when you didn't feel like going ingame.

But then you know, it wasn't like this. There weren't these long arguments about balence - everyone agreed what was wrong, no matter what faction. There weren't people oppressing another, everyone cared. Everyone had respect, and courtesy, and decensy. And probably most of all, everyone in Darkspace then - they were all good friends.

But that has changed. These past two patches has shown a Darkspace which older players can no longer stand - and something that is causing us to slowly draw away. This game used to be the lull of life for me, but you know, the lobby is too overcrowed with people who just dont care anymore to bother.

This game you know, used to be the greatest in my book. Never because of the game itself. Infact, what made this game great was its community, and the people of that community. All helpful, all willing to have fun, for everyone. Newer players out there, don't have that, too selfish and too immersed in that prestige stat, too 'its there so ill use it' too much - to have any of that.

This game no, its not only about vets. But you know, because of these newer players - not all of them, but those who know who they are - they are driving away the vets that once made the place worth logging onto, but one day your going to wake up when you've achieved Grand Admiral only to realize that guess what - there just aren't any of the old vets here to celebrate it with and that those days are long gone too, when the only people left in Darkspace - are people who are just as selfish as you were too.

I think they will realize someday the consequences of their actions - but for now, they can know the satisfaction, of driving away one of its greatest members - and one of my greatest friends - that I have ever had the good fortune to know.

-Ent

kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2005-11-21 06:38   
Goog post Ent, not sure if I can elaborate further.

But then again once again this post will be locked or deleted with the rest of them. There are so many of them now.

How many vets who would have stayed? If only more contact with the community would have continued, some sign of life.

There is no contact with the community, NONE.

No explanations, no hopefullness, just absolute silence.

Anywho Jack....

In retrospect, alot of people downed you for being as active as you were and interactive in the dev process for DS. I for one think you did alot for DS.

And I know how you fell, I've felt this way for a long time.

I haven't played - blatenly refusing practicly - since they introduced the new MV and WHs. So I can't say I blame ya there.

Right now, it's pretty dead.

I hate to say it but this place really got hung out to dry. That being said, I cannot fault Faustus for taking jobs to support his family, that's doing what he needs to do. No one can fault him for that.

But, there was still alot of us who would have and tried to do more to save DS. But time after time we were pretty much turned out or put down for trying to help. *shrugs*

I wish you well in all you do Jack, it's been great bro. I hope it comes back around for us.

Untill then, Gods speed and may the wind always fill your sails.

ALWAYS,
[-GTN-]kenetiks

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
Page created in 0.007450 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR