Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Ran across old Screen Shot
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author Ran across old Screen Shot
Eleda
Cadet

Posted: 2006-01-14 03:29   
Quote:

On 2006-01-14 02:53, DOM700 [-IMO-] wrote:
Is there anyone with a screenie of the 2nd MV? The one when Procyon was a ICC homesystem

Ello Dom.

Ill have a look on my old PC's HD

Email Eleda
Archon
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-01-14 05:30   
/me misses 1.480 too

damn that was fun!

~Insanity Is Only The Beginning~

Email Archon
Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-01-14 10:28   
To this day, it still pleases me that Ragglock took a screenshot of one hundred and twenty-one K'luth infantry units on a TK planet versus one TK infantry unit.

Stubborn we stand! Hardly we shall ever fall!

...It helped when you could wall off infantry units with rings of buildings, and then barracks rotate... That helped to bring along the way planets capture now, with the "most infantry after one minute" rule.

Can't blame them.

Goto the website of Grimith
Gaderath
Admiral

Posted: 2006-01-14 11:11   
*Whew* That was a long time ago... /considers coming back when he has more time

Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2006-01-14 19:00   
CURSE YOU!

The fun times are ALWAYS over by the time I come into games...
I came in during late 1.481 in May of 2004...as Nastrandir (differenc account). I shoulda stayed around while the fun was still around....
And to think had I stayed at the time, I could be GA by now...

WHY YOU TORMENT US WITH THE MEMORIES OF DS GRANDEUR!?

\"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it,
and feed the charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.\" - Capt. John Sheridan

Email Entil-Zha the Starkiller
c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2006-01-15 11:42   
Quote:

On 2006-01-14 10:28, Grimith {Construction is All!} wrote:
...It helped when you could wall off infantry units with rings of buildings, and then barracks rotate... That helped to bring along the way planets capture now, with the "most infantry after one minute" rule.

Can't blame them.

Why not? I can, and will! What the hell was wrong with rax rotating? Just meant you had to bomb. The obvious way to improve ground combat was to add more features, like bunkers and gun turrets and tanks and a decent command system etc. Instead we got some of the most horrendous dumbing down imaginable. Now the only thing a player can do is to get more inf from another planet. It might suit those that want to fly in circles shooting pretty pixels at each other, but for the rest of us..pfft.

Let me remind y'all that DS not only used to be the best for PvP, it was also the only space game with decent planet interaction. 'Was' being the operative word.

*fumes

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-01-15 11:59   
Yes, but no where in the 'About' section does it indicate this is a ground combat simulator...

Infantry is good enough for capping planets, and rotating was never meant to be used in DS, someone simply found a way to make a planet theirs for extended periods of time, or keep it theirs, and barracks were never meant to be uses for that purpose, hence it was removed.

Also certain people abused it. Making the game vastly unfun for a lot of other players.

c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2006-01-15 12:06   
Quote:

On 2006-01-15 11:59, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Yes, but no where in the 'About' section does it indicate this is a ground combat simulator...

Omg, worse argument in the world, ever.

It is the niche the DS occupies, that it has both space combat and ground combat strategy. If you want a pure PvP space sim, play Vendetta or something. The fact that DS used to have both was a big plus. You, and others like yourself have said 'you just like fighting'. Go play another game if that's the case. One with no stragety , just a level treadmill.

[ This Message was edited by: c0ldfury on 2006-01-15 12:10 ]

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-01-15 13:18   

Email Bobamelius
Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-01-15 13:38   
Note: Immediately below is a response to C0ldfury's post about... infantry. Further below are a few more old screenshots. If you don't want to read some paragraphs, just keep scrolling, and the pictures will be down there.

I would be more appreciative if we could control the units better - hell, we can only see them whenever we're 500 gu or closer to a planet. However, the only reason why I would think of having more control over allied units back in 1.480 than I do now is because I almost always can't orbit a functioning planet unless it has been bombed. And, if it has been bombed, the point of controlling infantry units is not... much.

Still, I do operate them. If I do a small drop of like... four units on a planet, I'll set them to defend. That makes the enemy infantry work their way to them, and prevents my guys from tiring out... or... something like that. It makes me feel better on the inside.

My only upset is that taking fully developed planets purely with transport force is all but impossible. Sure, perhaps it wasn't right for one light ICC transport to be able to solo-capture planets, but I never had ECM cover, and I had to stop and -orbit- the planet (which assured I could get all of my infantry down, if I didn't die while orbiting), then fly all the way back and jump. And I always had to do two runs, and more if the nearest friendly planet wasn't nearby. Nowadays... *wiggles his fingers* Thirty-six bombs and it's surely gone!

I suppose, technically, you could put blame on the people (or solo: person) who changed the way the game was... but... what good does that do? Just like... what good did all of my above post do? It was off-topic. I didn't have an old screenshot in it at all.

So...

That's from some time in early 2004, a few days after I became a Fleet Admiral. Instead of doing transport capping, I got bored and decided to capture a planet with a station. So, I upgraded one, loaded 20 troops on it, and jumped through the gates on my way from CD*36 to Sol.

Do you know how many systems that is?

Count from CD*36 to Sol. That's the minimum number. That's not counting if, oh, say, there were celestial bodies in the way between A and B.

So, I got in there... I capped Pluto... then TBone, Tarnekep, and some other GTN person popped in the game, and proceeded to, well, hurt me. Tarnekep... yelled at me through /t. The UGTO had been kind enough to be leaving the ICC alone like that, and I just pop in and do that crap, so I've inadvertently caused my faction quite a bit of future pain.

Or something. I wasn't really paying attention.

So, I jumped my station away at half hull... far enough way so that it wouldn't be tracked (thirty seconds - back then, there weren't such things as "lag navigation maps"). And I sat. And I deliberated. Because, I had come this far... and the planet was going to be recaptured within a few minutes (and, sure enough, a shroom did move out to Pluto wielding troops!), and I wondered... whether I should do it or not.

I did it.

And, guess what?

I lost that station.

So... I logged... but, what do you know? The planet, for the time being, was still ICC!

Snapshot!!!

Oh... and... one more picture. Not necessarily the oldest - it was taken back in the middle of 2004... but... I'm putting it up here just to show you what the Templar Knights were capable of back when we had... a subscribed membership!

And it's... really been... downhill since.

Crackers...

Goto the website of Grimith
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.021276 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR