No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » Engineer
 Author Engineer
Tellaris
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-01-02 01:05   
I am wondering as why the first level engineer, at least for UGTO, now requires a rank of ensign. I've been away for a while, and just noticed that.
With this change, newbies are totally unable to build, and it completely locks out a very important part of the game from them. Any newbie that chooses to play in their particular server is doomed to combat and capturing only... Planets totally lose their value to them, other then objects to shoot at.

I checked, and ICC's is locked as well. I can only assume that K'Luth's is too.

[ This Message was edited by: Tellaris on 2006-01-02 01:15 ]

_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-01-02 02:05   
I'm not positive, but I think its so the newer players learn the basics of flight before venturing of much of the other parts of the game. Should ask an Admin though. Personally I see pros/cons to it.

~Switch

* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-01-02 10:18   
It's there to stop noobs building planets.

Instead, they can learn the basics first, and it's only 40 prestige.

You're only miffed because midshipmans don't have an easy way to earn prestige anymore without going into combat...

_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-01-02 10:50   
Combat takes forever to earn these days. Personally I think armor should still give some sort of prestige.

~Switch

* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-01-02 11:50   
among other things, its also set that way as incentive for players to subscribe which would be some much needed revenue for palestar

Cataclysm
Cadet

Posted: 2006-01-02 12:03   
Personally I think it's mainly to stop them messing up planets. I'm still a newb but i'm still amazed at how much someone can mess up a planet without being taught properly. I cap using neutron bombs so I leave buildings intact, somtimes I wish I hadn't when I find the mess the pervious owner has left. I can only assume if midshipmen could build this would be worse. Although the fact they can scrap buildings allows them to accidently mess things up, there was a midshipman in an extractor in sirius last week randomly scrapping things.

I think giving midshipmen Supply ships would be a better idea as combat is so very difficult to earn and they can't build.

Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-01-02 12:20   
It frustrates me to see engineers no longer open to the rank of midshipman, knowing that I'll have to now keep subscribing in order to do what I both do and love best in the MetaVerse - build planets.

The reason of disallowing newbies from building planets makes no sense to me after I've seen the amount of locks that are slammed on the planets these days. Even a lock of ensign could prevent any midshipman from building, including me if I chose to do so.

Now, with no engineer ships, there's not that much I'd be able to do unsubscribed. I doubt I'd be too keen to spend much, if any time in the game like that.

Only Doran's statement makes sense to me - that it forces people to subscribe (or wait for a free trial, or use a koopin) in order to access that feature of the game. Most likely a necessary evil. It disappoints me... but... all right. I can deal with that.

Maybe it'll change after my subscription ends. Maybe.

Goto the website of Grimith
c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2006-01-02 12:29   
Quote:

On 2006-01-02 11:50, Doran wrote:
among other things, its also set that way as incentive for players to subscribe which would be some much needed revenue for palestar

Hmm, well if that's the case, we should of seen a steady increase in the numbers of subbed players since engy was made ensign. Have we? No!

It wasn't broke, it didn't need fixing.

JRE
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-01-02 13:35   
Quote:

You're only miffed because midshipmans don't have an easy way to earn prestige anymore without going into combat...

Why would he care he's a FA and building doesnt net you that much pres anyway....at least not enough to make me want to say, "Hey, Ill go build for EASY pres"

Page created in 0.017621 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR