No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Flagship Proposal
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Flagship Proposal
HaVoX
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-01-20 09:04   
Quote:

On 2006-01-20 04:25, Enterprise wrote:
This idea, simply would not work.

Simply for the fact, that there is no true 'strategic value' of a Flagship.

Not without making it overly uber - and by doing that you only cause anyone who gets it to never leave it if he/she can.

The only real thing I can see for a Flagship is a more of a symbol of power rather than actually a ship worth using.

Sure, you have a powerful ship...but the question is, what balances out its power? What makes it truely better than any ship of less class other than that it has more modules? What would be its role besides spacebar mashing?

Take into account that a Flagship really isn't neccessary at all - unless you ljust want to bear the name of it. =P

-Ent

I agree with Ent, it would'nt serv any purpose but bragging rights, but would be interesting.

Now if there were to be a Flagship, for bragging rights of the particualar clan, it could be based on clan resources. Meaning if the clan has failed to hold the planets and resources needed to field the ship they would not be able to. Also it could be limited to the 3 highest ranking members of the fleet, which could in turn lead to a actual ranking system added to the clan system that would tag ranking members with a fleet title/rank.

This would limit the use of the ship in the MV to fleets that really wanted to work for it, give a goal be sides KILL KILL, BOMB BOMB, all the time.

There should also be a timer on the ships use after said resources have been exhuasted do to lose or destruction of planets, to represent the using up of already gathered limited resources needed to maintain a ship of its size and stature.

Again I agree with Ent that it has no value in the game other then to say look what I got, and should be limited as I posted above in my opinion.

HaV.

Email HaVoX
Distel {Combat BUMpkin} Stolz
Cadet
ExtraTerrestrial Space Bums

Posted: 2006-01-20 11:32   
How about instead of an Uber Flag "ship," a battle support platform is developed? Make it so that such a platform could only be spawned in a home system, and only at a SY planet with something like 150 tech (so fewer defs for said planet). It would have essentially the defensive capability of a planet, the ability to provide "in situ" factory services, repair, and also spawn infantry (say three or four rax worth). It would only be equiped with an Ultra-Wormhole-Device that takes a longer time (one hour?) to recharge...so that once its on site (in what ever system is being attacked), it must stay there and be defended. It could even serve as a mini SY...with only two garage slots per player; but only, say, six slots total for SY use.

Such a platform wouldn't have the ability to cloak or use ecm, and would be visible to any enemy if it were closer than 50,000 gus from a system's primary star. That way, with a little scouting, it could be "found" if further away. Yet it could provide complete support services for medium to larger sized battle groups. Great advantage for its users, but also a possible liability if found early.

Just a thought...and admittedly, not thorougly developed. Also a bit tongue-in-cheek as is Shig's idea

[ This Message was edited by: Distel {The BUMs Rush} Stolz on 2006-01-20 11:33 ]

Aneemal
Admiral

Posted: 2006-01-20 12:53   
better than most proposals!

Goto the website of Aneemal
Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2006-01-20 13:57   
.....ur losing the thought of the idea...it wouldnt be an "uber flagship" it would be like in HW2, ur ship would ahve a.....moderate amount of firepower like the supply stations, if it was clan usable then only 1 per clan....Using the ghostknife type of skin for the ugto ship (would make an awsome flagship )....and the firepower wouldnt be ubered....the bonus for the ships would be like adding artificial bugs to allied ships within a certain amount of gu....
I think that the flagships should have a unique skin since they are after all flagships. The weapons on it wound make it overpowered and totaly ubered, it would just have the same armor, shields, as a supply/support station would, with around the same amout of weapons. Once the ships destroyed, it would be like the remedy to the "bugs" and the ships would return to normal. To ensure that people just cnat form clans to use the flagship, i suggest making the limit as the resourcing and planet supporting that was suggested earlier in this forum.
These ships would be armed with the following (had time to add these )

1. about 21 regular cannon slots (dont know the plans for the whole modding system)
2. would have about 2-4 reloads and 1 build, this totaly depends on which faction.
3. It would have as said moderate supply/support station armor shields.
4. It would also have 4 HCL or whichever beam type weapons the faction has.
5. 8 fighter slots
6. no bombs whatsoever so that it cant be used to bomb the crap out of a faction....
7. it would have around the same amount of missile slots and torps slots as the said station.
8. It would be armed with 4 PCM's, which just to make people happy, could be fitted for PSM's.
9. it would be equiped with the HMA or WH gens.
10. It would finally have 6 IE drive slots

I used paragraphs too
any more suggestions to this fix? Oh, and it would have a 2-4k pres loss if u die in it, makes u prompt to defend it, and not to die in it

EDIT: i like the platform idea too

[ This Message was edited by: Veronw *FC* on 2006-01-20 13:59 ]

[small][ This Message was edited by: Veronw *FC* on 2006-01-20 14:14 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Veronw *FC* on 2006-01-20 14:28 ]

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2006-01-20 16:59   
well, the idea is to have a symbol of a position; the ship says "hey, im in charge." so maybe the real key is to give the person "in charge" some sort of special abilities.

wth those would be i dont know, but theyd be cool im sure. so the ship would be a bit more powerful and serve as a good remote base, but be more important for the special abilities it grants the user.

Aneemal
Admiral

Posted: 2006-01-20 17:43   
I.E. Buffs.!

i do think a ship that would give nearby ships within say 10k bonuses to the speed at which thier weapons fire or faster turning rate ( The grand admiral on the flagship is giving orders there for improving response times

would be a cool idea! would be nice if the ship was at least 2 - 4 times the size of a dread/station. and people could actually orbit/dock with it! and become protected by its shields/armour!

Goto the website of Aneemal
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2006-01-20 18:50   
i think thatd be a little... insane...

i was more thinking they could be used as a shipyard, perhaps be made the only ship capable of making WHs?, and also be able to do some new stuff, maybe activate an energy field like EE's have. possibly even do that remotely in a confined area?

Ulric Winters
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-01-20 20:08   
screw it, just make it a very heavily armed mobile SY

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2006-01-20 22:34   
.........off the purpose of this post again...its not supposed to house ships...its only the size of a station or slightly under that, and its going to be equipped with some sort of special function....other suggestions are welcomed tho (and I think that it should be clan absed and go to the clan leaders, that way a clan wont feel left out if one of the larget clans, lets say CEC had the only flagship avail for UGTO or KLuth....)

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-01-21 02:09   
Gawd yall are suggesting something like a friggin super Elite assault dread or Super assault dread or a Super Assault Siphon gawd, just stop with the ideas they give me a headache lol. and all factions DO in fact have a flag ship its called EAD, AD, and Siphon or Brood. as ent said this will never happen, work, or be even considered so give it up lol. what was suggested would be like the Empires version of the super star destroyer or the Mon Calimari Cruiser ugh.

Email GothThug {C?}
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2006-01-21 09:43   
Thread moved to Beta.

- Draf.

Goto the website of Drafell
Dom243
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-01-22 02:07   
oke heres some suggestions to make a flagship sem more, well, flagship-ish

-EXTREMELEY LARGE (cant fit thru jumpgates)
-instead of jg's it uses a wh device, however it can only reach 3 systems from your current one. 3 syatems being a relative distance, maybe make range liek 800k gu
-very slow, 3gu at most (hey its a big voracious hulk)
-since it is huge and slow, it has many armors, at least 8 on each side.
-normal cannons? pfft, new class of station cannons maybe 6 or so that have a range of like 7000 that also travel quite fast, these cannons are meant for flagship vs. flagship combat, also have to be sitting still to fire em.
-a few weapons to fend off some smaller ships, but not many, because it should have lots of other ships around it to do that
-16 fighter bays
-can fit specialized modules that give bonuses to certain attributes of other ships within the system: more energy, better damage, higher speed, or give negative bonuses to enemy ships, like less damage, less armor, slower etc.
-always carrys a certain number of resources taht can be replinished upon orbit of a planet, enough reasources for it to be in the battlefield and be able to spawn up to say, 10 ships, relative to the amount of materials each ship costs, but not above cruiser size, and ship classes take amounts of time to be built, like a few minutes.
-can also carry specialized repair fighters which seek out damaged friends and repair them.
-has quite a few pulse beams.
-a ship bay that can hold up to like 5 ships,but the amount is relative to ship size, not above cruiser size (granted the ability to hold a ship at all makes the ship itslef, stupendously large)
-cant fit a jumpdrive of any sort, only that wormhole.
-make a new rank requirement for this ship, but not the regular level up ie. duble teh rquired pres for each rank, like mayve say the new rank requires 150k pres.
-doesnt spawn at a planet, has to spawn at a specialized factory located in the homesystem in orbit around the primary star, but since the wh device on the ship itself only goes 800k gu at a time, teh factory can spawn a wh to any FRIENDLY system in the universe.
-doesnt leave game, to be able to log out with ot, you would probably wanna wh into teh middle of space and just log out, but the ship never physically leaves the game.
-factory can only spawn 1 ship every week or so
-the ships armor has a special quality making it very hard to be damaged by any ship larger than a dreadnought, otherwise it would just be giant cannon fodder for every other ship.
-maybe 5 reloads or so
-has an equipment factory on board
-has 2 builds or so

ok i just wasted like an hour of my life coming up with this stuff that will most likely never be implemented, so u best read it.

You also might think that alll these qualities would make it more of a mothership, hell lets just have that class of ship then. why not?

Mithrandir
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2006-01-23 12:18   
Wait.. so now you want mobile shipyards too? I thought everyone was crusading against shipyards these days - but now you want more of them, and able to move about in space?

Craziness..

Email Mithrandir
Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-01-27 10:13   
Should know by now Mithrandir, Humanity isnt the brightest species.

Goto the website of Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2006-01-28 20:37   
well its not supposed to be a mobile sy, its just a FLAGSHIP, not a command station, its a icon of power of tactics for a faction, not a new spawn point in the middle of a fight .....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024807 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR