No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +20.6 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » Wierdest bug thing ever!! -Help/advice needed
 Author Wierdest bug thing ever!! -Help/advice needed
ZoranP
Cadet

Posted: 2006-02-18 11:05   
I have this problem that has come up twice now...
What happens:

-Darkspace doesnt load, it gets stuck at Client Update... connecting to mirror-server.palestar.com : 9100
-None of my p2p programs work, they load and everything but no chance in hell that they connect to the main server or whatever.

The first time this happened was when i installed SP2...It was really wierd, and nothing i did could change it, XP firewall enabled or disabled...

So i installed XP on a fresh partition and didnt load any SP on it... Everything worked fine until now when i installed ZoneAlarm 6.1...Same thing is happeneing, poof!! lol...cant connect to DS anymore, nor can i download... I think it has something to do with firewalls, but Zonealarm has been uninstalled and nothing's change...

Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated

Btw, browsing and normal windows/flashget downloads work fine...Pings to darkspace.net work fine and return values...and so do pings to mirror-server.palestar.com

Im baffled...

[ This Message was edited by: ZoranP on 2006-02-18 11:08 ]

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-02-18 11:28   
take your computer out back of the barn and put it down...

Email Borgie
ZoranP
Cadet

Posted: 2006-02-18 11:29   
please?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-18 11:32   
Zonealarm has started it's truevector monitor, but you havn't configured ZA to allow any programs to access the internet.

ZoranP
Cadet

Posted: 2006-02-18 11:41   
i put shareaze under Super access and everything was ticket to allow it access and it still didnt work...

ZoranP
Cadet

Posted: 2006-02-18 11:43   
Btw zonealarm has been uninstalled and it still doesnt work...

ZoranP
Cadet

Posted: 2006-02-18 12:00   
well im going... im gonna go reinstall windows...

seeing as neither me, nor the really amazingly bright DS community (sarcastic), has come up with a solution to this problem...i'll just solve it the easy way, del C:/Windows Wish me luck...

JRE
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-18 16:53   
Quote:

On 2006-02-18 12:00, ZoranP wrote:
i'll just solve it the easy way, del C:/Windows Wish me luck...

Good solution...check windows firewall b4 you do that

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-18 17:53   
It's the Truevector monitor. All you had to do was set Zonealarm to allow it access...

ZoranP
Cadet

Posted: 2006-02-19 08:12   
I think i repeated this like 3 times now... "Zonealarm was uninstalled"!! It has nothing to do with the firewall, i hate it when people make me look stupid... But i think the firewall ***somehow*** caused it! Now if i thought zonealarm was the problem i would just have closed down "Vsmon" which is the truevector thingie...as well as ZlClient which is the zonealarm itself. I personally cant get my head round this problem as i cant see the cause, and therefore cant solve it...

As i said, installing SP2 caused the same problem, and what im wondering is what do these two things have in common? SP2 and Zonealarm? Im thinking along the lines of the sp2 inbuilt firewall, which i also disabled the first time the problem happend with no effect... And just now i tried running EVE Online, same problem it gets stuck just like DS when it tries to connect...

Lol, i decided to postpone my windows deleting...I had a change of heart Windows XP will always have a special place in my heart and up my sticky rectum!!

I prefer 2000, which i'd gladly install but cant find the cd which i think someone stole, bastards!

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2006-02-19 08:30   
well...theres always win 98 SE

Email Fatal Command (CO)
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-19 09:37   
Quote:

On 2006-02-19 08:12, ZoranP wrote:
I think i repeated this like 3 times now... "Zonealarm was uninstalled"!! It has nothing to do with the firewall, i hate it when people make me look stupid... But i think the firewall ***somehow*** caused it! Now if i thought zonealarm was the problem i would just have closed down "Vsmon" which is the truevector thingie...as well as ZlClient which is the zonealarm itself. I personally cant get my head round this problem as i cant see the cause, and therefore cant solve it...

When you uninstall Zonealarm, it can leave the True Vector monitor installed and running if it didn't install properly, or initialize properly in the first place. And just incase you didn't know, True Vector Monitor is a service, not an executable. The EXE is purely there to allow Zonealarm proper monitoring access to which programs are requesting access to the internet.

Quote:

As i said, installing SP2 caused the same problem, and what im wondering is what do these two things have in common? SP2 and Zonealarm? Im thinking along the lines of the sp2 inbuilt firewall, which i also disabled the first time the problem happend with no effect... And just now i tried running EVE Online, same problem it gets stuck just like DS when it tries to connect...

SP2 has a built in firewall, you probbaly didn't configure it properly. SP2 also significantly reduces the amount of open simultanious connections at one time. I think by default it's 10, but it can be hacked to allow 50 (microsoft allows this). They did this to reduce threat of spreading virus' (if the virus can't send to as many people, it can't spread as fast in their belief). This, is what causes most people to hate SP2, without actually understanding, or trying to fix it.

Quote:

Lol, i decided to postpone my windows deleting...I had a change of heart Windows XP will always have a special place in my heart and up my sticky rectum!!

I prefer 2000, which i'd gladly install but cant find the cd which i think someone stole, bastards!

Reinstall Zonealarm, reboot the machine. Give it access to trusted zones and programs, and see if it works. If it does, it's the true vector monitor. I've had this problem before, and the only known solution, is reinstalling windows.

[edit] You could try running services.mrc and deleting the TVM service, but I have no idea what that will do, and if it will fix it.

- Jack

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-02-19 09:56 ]

Valsodar
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-19 12:23   
Delete Zone Alarm. I had the absolutely same problem. Nothing you can do in Zone Alarm will change it. Don't use any other firewalls than the XP one.

Update: If you've already deleted Zone Alarm, make sure all of its files are gone. BTW, did you try performing simple maintenance scans? For example:Disk Clean-up, Disk Defragmenter, Ad-remover, Registry Mechanic, etc. Thats how I solved my problem. Don't delete XP.

[ This Message was edited by: Spown on 2006-02-19 12:28 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-19 12:58   
use sygate for your firewall needs

Jaydawg
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-19 23:41   
I had to go into my registry, and delete all zonealarm keys. Then, I had to go into windows and delete the true vector service that was still hanging around, blocking EVERYTHING that tried to connect to the internet. I had to enter safe mode to delete the files for some reason donno why.

Then, everything was back do normal!

Email Jaydawg   Goto the website of Jaydawg
Page created in 0.031661 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR