No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » To the community.
 Author To the community.
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-21 10:27   
Now, as most of you know, I was planning on leaving soon. Planned to take a break, think about DarkSpace a bit at a time, and then make my decision. I told one person about this, and I planned to go silently, without a word. Unfortunatly, some people caught wind, somethings happened, and now it's public knowledge. The main reason for my leavings was not just because of DarkSpace but because of things going on in my real life, personal things that I will not disclose here. Those of you who know of those things know what I'm talking about.

A large portion of me wanting to leave DarkSpace was simply because my help here goes abused, to put it lightly. The things I do/supply go un-noticed and that's not a nice feeling. I also know a lot of other people have done far more than me without any appretiation, and it kind of upsets me. Look at all the staff members who give up so much of their free time to police the lobby and game. The admins, who try their best to do what they can. The developers who do what they can to make the game better for us. And countless players who have given money and time to this game. Not many people have ever fully been appretiated, and not many efforts go acknowledged in this place. You'd think in such a small game and community, even the smallest change would go noticed and appretiated.

Don't get me wrong though. This sort of thing happens all over the world, not just in DarkSpace. When I was at Uni this morning, I saw a guy help a little girl who had fallen over due to her shoe lace coming undone. He did it back up, and she ran off, without a word. But wait a minute... That was a 5 year old girl. Players of DarkSpace aren't 5 years old.

Now, I didn't get a wink of sleep last night, I ate a lot of cheese, and it screws with your brain activity (why people have nightmares when they eat cheese). I had a lot of time to think about DarkSpace, and whether I wanted to keep putting up with the lack of acknowledgment, from not just what I do, but from what everyone does.

So I ask this of you, the DarkSpace community. The next time someone helps you, or something you're using has helped in what you're doing. Take time to acknowledge who helped you, and the next time you see them, tell them. Let them know they helped you, and thank them for it. It doesn't take two minutes, and it makes DarkSpace a happier place. There's no need to make a thread, to get everyone to thank them. Just let them. That's all that's needed.

If a mod helps you with a problem, thank him or her for their time.

If you like what you see in beta, thank the people that put their time and effort into making it what it is (Tael, Faustus, and the other developers).

If an admin gives you compensation, give them thanks for spending time to fix the problem (you may be angry you hit a planet, but I bet the admins don't exactly like sorting through compensation requests either).

If someone helps you with a problem in the lobby, take time to say "Thank you".

Such small things can have a big impact on how this community acts as a whole and the moral levels. Not to mention that people have worked in the shadows long enough without any thanks. Drafell, he does a lot of advertising for DarkSpace (he sends emails to all the major websites). Demorian and Vinco, for their original draft of the informative manual, and Doran and others for keeping it up to date with every new release. Obviously, if you're a new player, you're hardly going to know who did this. But if you read the manual when you where a new player, take the time to thank the people who put their time into it. And that doesn't just go for the manual, it goes for everything too.

- Jack

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2006-02-21 11:32   
bump

Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2006-02-21 11:53   
Well Backslash, if a thanks is what it takes to make you happy, well here is a big one from me. Thanks for all of the time and effort you have put towards the game and your involvement in the community. you do make it a better place here.

On that same note, i've gotta say do what you do because you want to, whatever your reason... but if you expect a thanks for it from the world as a whole, you WILL be disappointed everytime. no one gives a damn except your friends and family. maybe i'm being a little blunt, but hey, it's one of life's little lessons. and please don't take this the wrong way, i'm not trying to be insulting....

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-21 12:06   
Oh I know, and I'm not asking for thanks here. I'm just saying, to the community as a whole, when someone helps you, try to give them some thanks. There are people here who have done far, far (Far far far) more than I have done, and have recieved little to no thanks for it.

Malorn
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-21 12:13   
I suspect it's more along the line of wishing rather than expecting.

And I agree with jack, people dealing kindly with each other is something to be hoped for. When people are thanked for their efforts, they tend to be more likely to repeat said action. Thus they will be thanked more, and do more. It works well, when it works.

However I also agreed with Rae, that is never going to happen, not for everyone, and not forever. I suspect that Jack knows that too. And frankly, we do give a damn, at least when we are reminded.

I also take note that within a few seconds of Jack telling one guy he was leaving, we had a thread wishing him well and honoring him. That isn't done by people who don't care.

-Malorn-

[small][ This Message was edited by: Malorn on 2006-02-21 12:14 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Malorn on 2006-02-21 12:27 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-21 12:23   
I'm sticking around for a while, going to see if things can improve (or try to improve them atleast). This isn't a leaving thread, just a thread wishing everyone to thank someone if they've been helped. I just want people to pay a little more respect to those who deserve it (and I'm not talking about me here). There are people who have done far, far more greater things than code a silly little prestige calculator, and they deserve respect far more than I do for a silly little calculator.

That's all I'm trying to get at. Not respect, or thanks for me, but everyone, so DarkSpace can be a little bit happier, which in all honesty, is something we could all do with right now.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-02-21 12:27 ]

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-21 12:31   
Quote:

On 2006-02-21 12:23, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
I'm sticking around for a while, going to see if things can improve (or try to improve them atleast). This isn't a leaving thread, just a thread wishing everyone to thank someone if they've been helped. I just want people to pay a little more respect to those who deserve it (and I'm not talking about me here). There are people who have done far, far more greater things than code a silly little prestige calculator, and they deserve respect far more than I do for a silly little calculator.

That's all I'm trying to get at. Not respect, or thanks for me, but everyone, so DarkSpace can be a little bit happier, which in all honesty, is something we could all do with right now.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-02-21 12:27 ]

Don't call your prestige calculator or what you have done silly and little Jack. I am no coder/developer but so far I am impressed with everything you have done. Prestige calculator was a good eye opener for everyone and people enjoyed( thats why the your post on it had so many pages).

Plus my favorite part of the website is the DarkSpace Palyer Gallyer. Thats awesome. Be happy with what you have done even if other people might of done more. It's all apperciated, some people just show it differently then others.

-Smartin-

P.s. Glad to hear your not going anywhere...I still have to earn your respect.

[ This Message was edited by: Smartin *SL2* on 2006-02-21 12:32 ]

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Tarnekep
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-21 12:34   
Ok Jack I am going to say a few words on this matter and I know how you feel....

I have done a lot for ppl too, but I get nothing in return but there complaints and nothing more........All they see is the bad side of life and never see the good that has been done for them.....I have lived this way for years.......People get mad at you and can't forgive you, but yet I can forgive them and still can't forgive you for trying and the effort you have done........I have given up on that matter for a long time......I don't see the point to talk to a Brick wall, when they don't want to listen to your side of life.......I just live mine and hope for the best to them in theirs is all I can do.....

I have been hurt by someone for many years and I can't forgive that person for what he done.......but I can say thank you to him for making me this strong person, as I am now.......I had my ups and downs in life but I learn to cope with it.....I relieze that I don't have the problem, but the person who can't say thank you or even say they are sorry has the problem......

My heart goes out to all the people that work so hard to keep this game in tack.......and I will never give up hope that someday, it will be the greatest game.........I know in my heart that Darkspace will come to its greats point and I do thank the people.........and everyone else that is involve with DS.

So ya I better run and do my homework but this is my thank you to all DS it self

[small][ This Message was edited by: Tarnekep[give back my drones] on 2006-02-21 12:37 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Tarnekep[give back my drones] on 2006-02-21 12:39 ]

Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2006-02-21 13:23   
I got all the respect you deserve right here

*Polishes Neutron Blaster Cannon II and locks Grez's pod*

[ This Message was edited by: Banshee on 2006-02-21 13:26 ]

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-02-21 14:44   
A friend of mine, who is no longer here, had worked so hard on things for her community..but she never had gotten a 'Thanks' or a 'Good Job'..When I asked her why it didnt upset her, she simply said " I did a good job, and I know that..They dont have to say a thing.."

But, you do want a thanks..and i've given it before, and I'll give it again..Thanks for what you've done to help the community.

Page created in 0.190283 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR