No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +18.6 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » Read me, please..
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Read me, please..
c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2006-02-28 09:59   
Maybe I should start posting pictures of Mohammed to prove my point.

[ This Message was edited by: c0ldfury on 2006-02-28 10:02 ]

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-02-28 10:10   
i know most girls want sensitvity but all and all most things don't bother if it does ingore it and let it go

Email Borgie
Bash
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-28 10:37   
ahem...... dont start this into a flame post.
01:38:43 Shigernafy: "never trust a brit with your website.."

This message brought to you by the Flying Coffin Foundation"

12:02:07 Doran: "and you never hear AI complaining about how dumb players are"

HaVoX
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-28 11:38   
wrong person quoted, earlier by me sorry goth, ment to quote borgie.

Email HaVoX
James Bum007
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-02-28 11:43   
Quote:

On 2006-02-28 09:59, c0ldfury wrote:
Maybe I should start posting pictures of Mohammed to prove my point.

[ This Message was edited by: c0ldfury on 2006-02-28 10:02 ]

This may seem like a joke to you Cold but is not, we are to respect and consider everyone equally. Specially when it comes to such a word. I cant speak for the other mods but Im aware that the use of such word as RXPX is not longer tolerable.

So lets be respectful and mindful of others.

"Nough Said"

Email James Bum007
Moisty {r33}
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-28 11:46   
We were talking about god dammned pirates. Jesus, if the word *rape* offends you so much, then ask to get it put into a filter or something, dont make a huge topic about. But meh, Just keep telling me how much you dont want me to say it, ill tell you how much i really care.

P.S mind at least putting my name in the quote?

P.S.S What the hell is with the *edit to project the individuals identiy* i mean, come on, you make a whole topic about one word but yet dont put my name?

Meany

[small][ This Message was edited by: Moisty {r33} on 2006-02-28 11:53 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Moisty {r33} on 2006-02-28 11:54 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-28 12:11   
I don't think this is anyone's fault, and everyone's at the same time.

Let me explain.

It's only natural Melly is a bit peeved at this topic, as it may be a sensative one to her. Yet you guys are pushing your weight around, like you're 600 pounds. Seriously, read the topic and read your replies. You sound like pigs some of you.

On the other side, it seems it was meant in jest, so perhaps just asking in the future and both parties agreeing to try and not use the word, or explaining it was only meant in jest, or in another meaning, would solve problems like this.

- Jack

shadey
Cadet

Posted: 2006-02-28 12:27   
hello,
now first off the whole ingore it argument does not fly. it clearly states in the roc AND when you first log in that such topics are taboo in the lobby. second do not belittle somebody because they are offended by a subject such as this. im sure that if one were to experience this atrocity then they would not be able to forget it for the rest of there live, and they have no need to be reminded of it in the lobby of a game, where they go to relax and recieve some escape from real life issues.

now my only hope is that if i ever offend melly (because i do like to tease and melly does entertain me) then she either tells me in open chat or whispers to me to lay off. speaking of which that actually goes for everybody. (Unless your ugto then dont bother )

and lastly, arent potatoes just about the best vegetable?

c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2006-02-28 13:14   
Quote:

On 2006-02-28 12:27, shadey wrote:
im sure that if one were to experience this atrocity then they would not be able to forget it for the rest of there live, and they have no need to be reminded of it in the lobby of a game, where they go to relax and recieve some escape from real life issues.

Yes, lets ban all talk of 'real-life' issues. That'll fix it!

Tarnekep
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-28 13:25   
Well I am sorry guys but I am on Melly side on this topic......that quote should not have been said in the lobby at all......this is not a joke because it happen to me when I was a 5 year old child and it keep on continueing on as the age of 18....until i got away but, to me that word is not nice it brings the back the memory of my past that I rather keep it in the past.....it has effected me threw my life and it was hard for me to cope with.......so when that word comes up it hurts........so you see what it means when a topic like that comes up for me.......so if you don't see it my way then you can't see it all......but I think Melly did the right thing to putting this post to prove a point that some topics should not be said and that mods should of done something to stop that topic to ever happen...

[ This Message was edited by: Tarnekep[give back my drones] on 2006-02-28 13:48 ]

c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2006-02-28 13:36   
What are you people playing at by spamming this thread with talk of potatoes? [[Edit: I've now removed such threads. I'll continue to delete anything which is completely off-topic. -Shig]] This is a serious discussion about a serious issue. You are insulting the OP more than I am playing devils advocate. You may not be able to get your head around the issue, but most of us can, so grow up.

I actually agree with MellyMoo, talk of rape comes under the RoC and should be banned, much like MANY other subjects that currently slip under the radar. The difficulty is that such rules are practically impossible to enforce, so imo it would suit DS to split the lobby and forum into a moderated under 18 area and an unmoderated 18+ area. It is what I've always argued for.

[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2006-02-28 16:38 ]

c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2006-02-28 13:54   
Quote:

On 2006-02-28 13:25, Tarnekep[give back my drones] wrote:
this is not a joke because to happen to me when I was a 5 year old child and it keep on continueing on as the age of 18

So, as tragic as your story is, do you think you have the right to stop other's from telling jokes purely because it offends you? Are jokes only funny if they do not offend you? Was the joke aimed at you, your gender as a whole or for that matter victims of rape specifically? It was equally offensive to children, why are you not defending them?

Fact is, the joke was just a play on words. It was in poor taste, yes, but it wasn't explicitly offensive.

Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-02-28 14:36   
Quote:

So, as tragic as your story is, do you think you have the right to stop other's from telling jokes purely because it offends you? Are jokes only funny if they do not offend you? Was the joke aimed at you, your gender as a whole or for that matter victims of rape specifically? It was equally offensive to children, why are you not defending them?

Fact is, the joke was just a play on words. It was in poor taste, yes, but it wasn't explicitly offensive.

c0ldfury, to answer your questions for Tarn... no, Tarn does not have the right, nor the ability, to stop others from telling jokes because it offends her.

I, however, do.

As do the rest of the DarkSpace staff who have taken a firm stance on this issue. That stance is that the word "rape," as it is most commonly known, defines the violation of an individual's body by an assailant. This experience is more emotionally and physically tormenting than any of us could ever realize, as this is not your morals that are being violated... not your beliefs, your ethnicity, your character, or your honor.

It is the act of your very body being assaulted.

Jack does have a point in the other technical definitions of the word, but Palestar Staff does not take to that definition, as it is not widely known, and as the common definition is widely believed to be the basis for usage in the gaming context, as Jack described.

However, Palestar's moderators and administrators made a decision that the word was not to be allowed. You can say the word bitch and be talking about a confrontational woman or a female dog, but the word is still not allowed because of its greater understood meaning.

MellyMoo, Tarn, and the other women of this community have a right to be offended by your words, but it is not their choice as to what kinds of offensive language should or should not be tolerated by the staff. It is, in fact, our choice as staff.

And we have sided with them, like it or not.

I am almost tempted to ban you for your conduct on this thread, and for your blatant mockery of the well-founded sensitivity of those on the other side of the issue. You have been rude, disrespectful, and needlessly beligerant. Considering your record on the forums, you know I could very well do so.

I'm not going to, however. Instead, consider yourself warned.

Now, MellyMoo...

Some of this post is indeed reserved for you.

As much as I am understanding of your sensitivity to this issue, I do not feel that you are properly handling the issue in a non-confrontational way. Rather than attempting to handle the problem through the staff, which, mind you, will be a slow process of talking to the nonresponsive mods and making newer mods more aware of the rules, you chose to step past us and post this inflammatory message in the public forums.

We are a staff of volunteers. We cannot be online at all times to moderate the chat rooms and the forums because we have our own lives to lead... and trust me, making an appeal to the community (especially in this angry fashion) is not going to help your cause in the least.

In the future, I ask that you continue to report the issue so that it can be properly handled. If no-one responds, or if active (not /away) moderators in the lobby don't handle the issue, privately report to an Admin (through a PM in the forums, for instance, or through a /send fleet Admin message) which moderators did not respond, and provide the time and date of the infraction if you can.

It'll work a lot better in the long run.

-Dem

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-02-28 14:49   
Hmmm...Where to start...Okay.

First off, Dem, you are one of the few moderators today, that even seem to enforce things.. Drafell,Doran,Feral,Starfist,Zeritu, and James are the only other ones I have seen enforce something in the past month or so, and I've seen alot of RoC breaking comments, or talk in the lobby, with little said from the moderators in the lobby..Why let these things go on? I have no clue, but if you can, find moderators who are willing to enforce the Rules of Conduct.

To Coldfury, Sure, it may have seemed as a joke to You. But did you think once of the people reading this, or going to read this? Do you know how they might take it? Think before you speak (In this case, Type) That word shouldnt be allowed in this forum, or lobby..Even I object against using that word ( even though I have before).

Melly! Tell me, ent, jack, or anyone on your friendslist, we will gladly /report, or talk to any moderators/admins we know. I'll even be willing to personaly talk to the person (Calmly of course!).

Now, to everyone... The kind of jokes that have been explained here, or the words, even if they are in a jesting manner, will, and always will be offensive to someone somewhere, so why say it? Which, I admit, I've made jokes of this manner before,but I've stoped now, seeing how far other people have taken their own jokes and words.

-Crim

Likkarn *Freelance*
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-02-28 14:55   
Word. I agree.

Email Likkarn *Freelance*
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.029300 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR