No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » FORUM SEARCH BUTTON
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author FORUM SEARCH BUTTON
FAdm. Tim Webbers *S1*
Fleet Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2006-03-06 18:24   
Whoa! That's insanity!

Judging by server performance, I'd say trying to put a backup in place if the DB got wiped would take a massive amount of time.

*Tim shakes a finger*

Apparently, someone hasn't been optimizing the DB tables.

(Wait, I was about to suggest something for Linux, but DS servers are on FreeBSD. Dern).

Bitopherous
1st Lieutenant

Posted: 2006-03-06 21:14   
We could just delete your inactive threads after 10 days. That might help keeping crap from three years ago from getting bumped, and cut down on the storage requirements. Of course, all the epic stories might be lost that Josef and Rogue Spear took time making...

Email Bitopherous
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-03-06 21:23   
Quote:

On 2006-03-06 18:24, V. Adm. Tim Webbers *S1* wrote:
(Wait, I was about to suggest something for Linux, but DS servers are on FreeBSD. Dern).

Not yet they aren't.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2006-03-07 14:36   
9 million?

The backup I have from a month or two ago weighs in at about 430mb in the database... though oddly I can rar it down to about 35mb.
And I didn't take a number of tables, since I have no need for subscription or coupon information - and the coupon table is huge.

I don't remember the record count, but I could provide more statistics sometime for the truly interested. I think the forums take up the vast majority of the space though.

And optimise table isn't really an option; there's isnt wasted space, at least of the type optimise can actually help with.

I tried upgrading to phpBB2 on my computer (just for kicks), which uses a fulltext search method, which means the database has to go through and index every word of every post, cataloguing the words used to come up with an index of what's where and how much... it took about an hour fourty if I remember right. Not fun. That should give you an idea though..

Email Shigernafy
James Bum007
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-03-07 15:15   
Nice Sig Bito.

Email James Bum007
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-03-07 19:05   
Quote:

On 2006-03-07 14:36, Shigernafy wrote:
9 million?

The backup I have from a month or two ago weighs in at about 430mb in the database... though oddly I can rar it down to about 35mb.
And I didn't take a number of tables, since I have no need for subscription or coupon information - and the coupon table is huge.

I don't remember the record count, but I could provide more statistics sometime for the truly interested. I think the forums take up the vast majority of the space though.

And optimise table isn't really an option; there's isnt wasted space, at least of the type optimise can actually help with.

I tried upgrading to phpBB2 on my computer (just for kicks), which uses a fulltext search method, which means the database has to go through and index every word of every post, cataloguing the words used to come up with an index of what's where and how much... it took about an hour fourty if I remember right. Not fun. That should give you an idea though..

RW had something like 10k posts, it went through it in a few seconds...

"Cheesy Creezy!", as someone once said....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.017225 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR