Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Supply Dreads..(A Working name)
 Author Supply Dreads..(A Working name)
Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-03-07 14:21   
The Supply Dreads, an Idea I had come up with while reading a short story.. Here it goes.

The Supply Dreads wont have reload drones, but EDS (Emergancy Dispatch Ships). They'd be in a fighter slot, but not changeable. The EDS could fix damaged buildings on a planet, or generate enough food for a planet to survive untill farms could be put up, or generate enough power for basic needs untill generators where put up. The Supply Dreads wont have very high fire power, and somewhat low armor (for a dread atleast). They'd have a Build Slot too. Heres something of another Idea, the EDS can be changed out for a DS ( Diplomatic Ship ). The DS could negotiate with planets on the verge of revolting..

I'll form it all out later..but anyways, there ya go.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-03-07 20:57   
Quote:

On 2006-03-07 14:21, Crimson {R33} wrote:
The Supply Dreads, an Idea I had come up with while reading a short story.. Here it goes.

The Supply Dreads wont have reload drones, but EDS (Emergancy Dispatch Ships). They'd be in a fighter slot, but not changeable. The EDS could fix damaged buildings on a planet, or generate enough food for a planet to survive untill farms could be put up, or generate enough power for basic needs untill generators where put up. The Supply Dreads wont have very high fire power, and somewhat low armor (for a dread atleast). They'd have a Build Slot too. Heres something of another Idea, the EDS can be changed out for a DS ( Diplomatic Ship ). The DS could negotiate with planets on the verge of revolting..

I'll form it all out later..but anyways, there ya go.

As far as fixing planets, engineers would be better suited for that, as would command dreads (they both have a build). Also, I can't see why the ships have to generate food... It takes a few seconds to build a fusion reactor and a farm to produce food, and where you say "basic needs untill generators are put up"... That's what the hub's there for...

Also, the whole DS thing seems a bit... Planets hardly ever revolt if done properly (unless bombed), and an entire ship per faction just to fix revolting planets, which usually revolt within 5 minutes if they do, or just go back to normal, just seems a little... too much.

I like the repair buildings though, that's been long overdue for engineer ships.

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-03-07 21:42   
Quote:

On 2006-03-07 20:57, BackSlash *Jack* [R33] wrote:

As far as fixing planets, engineers would be better suited for that, as would command dreads (they both have a build). Also, I can't see why the ships have to generate food... It takes a few seconds to build a fusion reactor and a farm to produce food, and where you say "basic needs untill generators are put up"... That's what the hub's there for...

When a plague hits, or just bombed, Generators may be offline for some time, or farms may have been bombed off..

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-03-07 22:31   
Quote:

On 2006-03-07 21:42, Crimson {R33} wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-03-07 20:57, BackSlash *Jack* [R33] wrote:

When a plague hits, or just bombed, Generators may be offline for some time, or farms may have been bombed off..

Good planet management skills is what's needed, no need to require an entire new type of ship just if that happens

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-03-08 07:40   
you can already do that crim, just target damaged building and press on build thus it repairs hehe

Email GothThug {C?}
Quietly confident
Admiral

Posted: 2006-03-08 11:55   
Well.. how about what the name surgests?
A Supply Dread...

A ship of Dread size, but with lets say.. a destroyers capabilties and has 4-6 Reapir/refit drones. could namly be used for supply other Dreads and larger ships and stations.

Using the original idea. It could have 2 new devices (not idea what there gunna be called though) these would help a damaged planet.
One is like an extracor beam, but instead of mining it supplys power..
Another could be something akane to a Gensis device, and provides a HUGE amount of food in a very short space of time.

Now... this ship would be used in the MV , mainly as a supporting role for a defending fleet or when bombing and capping. so thy could still fight as part of the fleet, and supply them, but then also keep the planets going till a proper enginner arrives.

Commander of the Heavy supply Ship Laden

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-03-08 13:22   
Too uber.

Quietly confident
Admiral

Posted: 2006-03-08 16:26   
well how about setting it for the secound highest rank then, but give it the arour of... lets say a frig?
so it's power is balanced out by its armour, or rather lack of it.

Commander of the Heavy supply Ship Laden

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-03-08 16:38   
Quote:

On 2006-03-08 16:26, Screaming Chimera *Aeden* wrote:
well how about setting it for the secound highest rank then, but give it the arour of... lets say a frig?
so it's power is balanced out by its armour, or rather lack of it.

You woudn't build a dreadnought to give it the armor of a frigate.

Battleships aren't meant to be a support role in servicing ships

Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-03-08 20:41   
Aw, cmon, I make a model, and I find the ideas been shot down. You guys are killing me! :*(
I've been thinking about the concept of a large supporting ship as well; how about putting it as a 'supply' class ship? Since dreadnought implies a more 'offensive' ship. Or, we cold consider it the 'capital ship,' treat it as a station? Probably not though..
A general supporting ship, perhaps 4-6 repairs as stated before, 2 armor each arc, 30 scls [6 full, 6 to each: fore-right fore-left aft-right aft-left] [meant for pd, but can hurt small ships at close ranges.. like big ships should[assuming we'll never have cl-part.cannon swaps again]], 2 fullfighter bays, 2 fore psm, 4 engines, 2 ecm 2 scanner, and a UGTO build.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/ASFAurora/supfront.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/ASFAurora/suptop.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/ASFAurora/suppersp.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/ASFAurora/supmid.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/ASFAurora/supside.jpg
Been looking over the UGTO models I made before.. and thought they were pretty bad, hopefullythis fits in better? Skinning wasn't done very well..
[edit: rats, used the img tag, now changed to url]

[ This Message was edited by: [AĞ]Light-of-Aurora on 2006-03-08 21:09 ]

Email Light-of-Aurora
Bitopherous
1st Lieutenant

Posted: 2006-03-08 22:11   
What if the diplomatic ship caused the planet to revolt, or in the case of a revolted planet, caused it to come over to your factions side?

Email Bitopherous
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-03-08 22:43   
Ok. You give the dread several reloads, give it weak armour, etc, etc.

It can still reload itself, and don't suggest making it so it can't, because that's just far, far, far too much work for a ship that we don't really need in the first place!

Think about it people!

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-03-09 05:30   
Quote:

On 2006-03-08 11:55, Screaming Chimera *Aeden* wrote:
Well.. how about what the name surgests?
A Supply Dread...

A ship of Dread size, but with lets say.. a destroyers capabilties and has 4-6 Reapir/refit drones. could namly be used for supply other Dreads and larger ships and stations.

Using the original idea. It could have 2 new devices (not idea what there gunna be called though) these would help a damaged planet.
One is like an extracor beam, but instead of mining it supplys power..
Another could be something akane to a Gensis device, and provides a HUGE amount of food in a very short space of time.

Now... this ship would be used in the MV , mainly as a supporting role for a defending fleet or when bombing and capping. so thy could still fight as part of the fleet, and supply them, but then also keep the planets going till a proper enginner arrives.

wouldn;t that defeat the use of suport stations and the command dreds?

Email Borgie
Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-03-09 05:34   
Quote:

On 2006-03-08 22:11, Bitopherous wrote:
What if the diplomatic ship caused the planet to revolt, or in the case of a revolted planet, caused it to come over to your factions side?

well howwould you get the dipomatic ship in to a revoleted planet with out killing torn to peices? unless the ship its self is not targetble by planets, but then again that could easly lead to exploting.

Email Borgie
Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-03-09 06:12   
Quote:

On 2006-03-09 05:30, Borgie *SC* [R33] wrote:
wouldn;t that defeat the use of suport stations and the command dreds?

No; the command dread and the support station have more fiepower, the command dread is a jack-of-all-trades thing, support stations have more weapons/create wormholes? not sure. As for getting to planets, the layout I proposed has mass scls
@Backslash I havn't played nearly as long as you have, but whats the problem with that? Stations can do the same thing can't they? Right now I'm thinking it might create a quasi-invincible ship, but that's only if it has other combat ships with it.
P.S read this post with no other meaning than the meaning of the words!, don't mean to belittle your experience .. :/

[ This Message was edited by: [AĞ]Light-of-Aurora on 2006-03-09 06:41 ]

Email Light-of-Aurora
Page created in 0.029455 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR