Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » about the maps of MV available on homepage
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author about the maps of MV available on homepage
Durlan Katz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-04-01 05:07   
you know, the ones: http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=servers.php&sid=&server_id=183795

showing what structures a planet has, like shipyards. don't think that's a good thing as a enemy wouldn't know where they are without scouting the planets but now they get the info for free.

i suggest getting rid of this too, as well as observe mode

Nimitz
Fleet Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2006-04-01 10:29   
Should we also remove the server status too? The enemy might know it's running!
\"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.\" -- Rich Cook

Dwarden
Admiral
CHIMERA

Posted: 2006-04-01 11:00   
Well i think this can be easily improved ...

just made it to show info about Your fraction only (detected by account login) ...

In case of anonymous login it will only show "summary info" about total facilities

if you loged in and wanna show other fraction planet info IT will ONLY show detailed stats IF !!! planet was recently visited (in range of scout / sensors) let say in last 10-30 minutes by own fraction ships ...

this way it will be solved (of course You can't prevent people exploiting with multiple accounts BUT it will give "sense" of own fraction data gathering INTEL)

Durlan Katz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-04-01 14:58   
Quote:

On 2006-04-01 10:29, Nimitz *S2* wrote:
Should we also remove the server status too? The enemy might know it's running!

Nice and mature buddy:/

Durlan Katz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-04-01 15:00   
Quote:

On 2006-04-01 11:00, Dwarden wrote:
Well i think this can be easily improved ...

just made it to show info about Your fraction only (detected by account login) ...

In case of anonymous login it will only show "summary info" about total facilities

if you loged in and wanna show other fraction planet info IT will ONLY show detailed stats IF !!! planet was recently visited (in range of scout / sensors) let say in last 10-30 minutes by own fraction ships ...

this way it will be solved (of course You can't prevent people exploiting with multiple accounts BUT it will give "sense" of own fraction data gathering INTEL)

Yeah...or remove it, more simple:)

Who needs it anyway?

Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2006-04-01 16:20   
uh, no.... plain and simple. there is a certain strategic value in leaving the structures visible it gives the enemy something to plan for.. eg: we're gonna attack arwerp first because it has a shipyard, etc... the enemy knows this and plans it's battle strategy accordingly.. and voila, you have a battle in the mv. removing that feature removes the strategic bombing and capping of key system planets, (because the enemy won't know which ones are key) which again, creates battles which populates the mv. we certainly don't need less people playing because they feel lazy and don't want to bomb strategically worthless planets.

meh... rather long winded and vague post, but to sum it up once more...

no.

at least i gave a reason

Durlan Katz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-04-01 16:42   
Quote:

On 2006-04-01 16:20, Rae wrote:
uh, no.... plain and simple. there is a certain strategic value in leaving the structures visible it gives the enemy something to plan for.. eg: we're gonna attack arwerp first because it has a shipyard, etc... the enemy knows this and plans it's battle strategy accordingly.. and voila, you have a battle in the mv. removing that feature removes the strategic bombing and capping of key system planets, (because the enemy won't know which ones are key) which again, creates battles which populates the mv. we certainly don't need less people playing because they feel lazy and don't want to bomb strategically worthless planets.

meh... rather long winded and vague post, but to sum it up once more...

no.

at least i gave a reason

Or get 1 more player in, someone flying a scout checking what planet has certain structures on them. That's how it's done in RL too:)

after all, there is a ship called a scout on every faction, that's what it's there for...scouting

Dwarden
Admiral
CHIMERA

Posted: 2006-04-01 17:14   
first removing it negates the work done to add it into map status ...

so that gives no logic ... sure it's simple but then like someone said we dont need even server status ... lol

and to made it practical and less abused ... see my previous suggestion post

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-04-01 18:31   
we need a "im jealous because i didnt think of this particular use for a feature first so we should remove it" forum to store threads like this.

seriously, this has been possible for at least as long as ive been here. same for the beef with observer mode, the functionality really hasnt been changed any in a long time.
why all of a sudden its being complained about NOW, i cant fathom.

Durlan Katz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-04-02 08:32   
Quote:

On 2006-04-01 18:31, Doran wrote:
we need a "im jealous because i didnt think of this particular use for a feature first so we should remove it" forum to store threads like this.

seriously, this has been possible for at least as long as ive been here. same for the beef with observer mode, the functionality really hasnt been changed any in a long time.
why all of a sudden its being complained about NOW, i cant fathom.

Why?

Because of new patch in beta and suggestions of improvement can be made?

Geez, that's what i thought beta testing was about, testing the game and other stuff that goes with it.

guess i wrong, forget about it then

Nimitz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-04-02 09:55   
Durlan Katz,

I think you're getting testing gameplay with website improvements wrong. What does the map being displayed on the website have to do with the changes currently being made in beta? Nothing.

When I'm in the game, I certainly am not going to alt-tab back and forth between DS and the website just to look at a map! I'd just as easily go there in the game itself.

Nimitz
\"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.\" -- Rich Cook

Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-04-02 10:17   
I really liked the 'send a scout because we can't seethe map' part though. Forces more teamwork. Either that, or it makes people lazy..

Email Light-of-Aurora
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-04-02 13:22   
Quote:

On 2006-04-02 08:32, Durlan Katz wrote:
Because of new patch in beta and suggestions of improvement can be made?

.480 beta, .481 beta, .482 beta, .483 beta.. etc.
not like theres been lack of opportunity to suggest improvements, and you dont even have to wait for a patch to be in beta to suggest something either

Sixkiller
Marshal

Posted: 2006-04-02 14:22   
Doran, please dont be a jerk.
That comment was just useless.
Observer mode is easy to abuse
VERY easy

and why didnt anyone come up with it earlyer?
well they didnt bother, didnt know, didnt want it because it was usefull for them, anything!

tough id like the server thingy to stay:p

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-04-02 22:03   
Nothings changed in more than 3 years... except the amount of moronic players who abuse things like these has gone up, and the amount who don't, have gone down.

Observe will most probably get a team lock on it, I wouldn't think the server status would though, but what do I know.

- Jack

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.018325 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR