No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +0.6 Minutes

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Building 101, Basics of Building on Admiral
 Author Building 101, Basics of Building on Admiral
Sleepin
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2006-04-30 11:09   
Greetings, several players of late have asked that I teach them how to build. Hope this helps!

1) Capture a planet. The type of planet that you want to build on is important. Population is everything in building, so try to choose a planet that gives you a head start there. Terran planets generally have the highest base population potential at 60, next are the ice and arid planets at between 20 and 40. Then the barren planets. You can't build on gas giants or inferno planets. Make sure that the planet you choose has metals, at least. A terran planet with Cryometals is a beautiful thing. If there's one on the map, go for it.

2) Spawn a transport and drop the infantry (both of them, always) off onto the planet. Jump back to the gate and spawn an engineer. Be sure to turn your point defense guns on. The enemy just might get curious about what you're doing and fly a bomber over to see Jump over and orbit your planet, as soon as you get into orbit, turn your mining beam on and upgrade it to full (level 4).

3) Build the following, in this order:

Colony Base
5x Barracks
Fusion Generator
3x Barracks
2x Dome (if planet is barren)
2x Hydro Farm (if planet is barren)
3x Mine
Starport
Research Lab
3x Fusion Generator

About the time you're about to build your starport, you'll find that you're out of metals. That's why we turned our mining beam on. Unload the stack of metals that you've been extracting onto the planet, then continue with the build.

Once all of those buildings are up, upgrade your engineer to full on all systems but lasers. Level 0 lasers have the fastest fire rate, perfect for incoming bombs.

If someone chooses to cloud bomb you at this point, just run over the bombs with your engineer. No use getting upset with people for it, they're gonna do it... just rebuild if they catch you napping. More pres for you!

If you've chosen to build on a barren planet, it will take some time for your population to rise to the number of buildings that you've built. That's one reason that we planted so many barracks. Once you have 10 infantry or so, disband a few. For every infantry unit that you disband, you gain one population. With eight barracks churning out infantry, you'll have those buildings up and running in no time.

Never leave your planet undefended. A planet with 19 buildings and zero infantry is a ripe target for an enemy transport with a couple of infantry on it.

Once your tech reaches 10, you'll want to construct at least one depot, and at least one sensor base. Yes, even if you're playing K'luth, you want a sensor base. Those pesky UGTO bomber corvettes with ECM will ruin your whole day without it. At this point you may want to switch over to Heavy Infantry as well, depending on who you're up against and what your goal for the planet is.

At this point, your planet is developing nicely. You have several infantry units, and can afford to take a short jump over to a planet with Cryometals for defense bases, and if you're ICC, you'll want some Darkmatter for shields. If able, ask someone to defend for you while you're gone. Head over to a planet with Cryos and/or Darkmatter and mine some. An extractor is perfect for this, but you may choose to just use your engineer.

Mine at least 10 Darkmatter if ICC, and 100 Cryometals. Jump back to your planet and sell what you mined at the starport.

Once you get to tech level 20, it's time for shields, defense bases, and upgrading the hydro farms. I like to build my defense bases on the equator, equidistant from one another. A defense base on the equator fires at approaching bombs sooner, since the bombs reach the equator of a planet earlier than they reach the poles.

At this point, you should have a goal for your planet. Will it be the SY planet? Will it be the invasion jumpoff point with heavy infantry and depots for reloading and repairing? Will it be the mod planet with several factories? Or will it be a fortress, complete with interdictor and fighter base 3s?

I would venture that, if you asked 20 experienced Darkspace builders what the best method for building is, you'd most likely get 20 different answers. There is no "right" way to build, but there are many wrong ways. Here are a few things to avoid:

1) Make sure you have the resources ready on the planet to build what you want to build. For example, it's time to upgrade those fusion reactors to variance generators, and your planet is at 32 buildings. Easy, just disband the fusions and rebuild with variances, right? Ok, you disband a couple only to find that you have no Urdanium! D'oh!! Can you say power shortage?

2) Never build more than you can power. Sometimes, the order of the buildings on the planet gets shuffled, especially when you disband some infantry. Your research labs may end up at the end of the line. Buildings are manned and powered (for the most part) from the lower left to the top right, if you're looking at the display of buildings in the lower left corner of the F3 screen. When this happens, and if you have a power shortage, your labs may go unpowered just long enough to lose the tech that they generate. It dosen't take long at all, and poof, you're back down to 10 tech. D'oh again! Build extra generators, you can always disband those if you have too many.

3) Don't build solar generators. Your planet rotates on it's axis, so unless your planet is between two suns, solar gens are useless hunks of metal about half the time.

4) Never ever expect a planet to defend itself. The moment you think that your planet is all set, and dosen't need you anymore, is the moment that a cloud bomber loaded with mirvs (or worse, neuts or bios) comes to crash your party. If you see a bomber inbound, jump your butt over and defend your planet. Giving a neuter a 150% shielded planet can be quite frustrating!

5) If you don't need it, don't build it. There is no sense having a planet with 110 tech, or 120 population, or +150 power. Space is critical, you can only build 32 structures. If you have extra space, and are not sure what to build, build some barracks,depots, or factories. Those will rarely go unused.

For those of you with the patience to go full bore on a planet, I would advise that you visit the Metaverse. You'll find some very interesting combinations there, as well as examples of how NOT to build. Have fun, and Happy Building!

Regards,
Torn

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-04-30 11:12   
http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=37273&forum=13&22

Already been done by the master of it

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-04-30 12:47   
Relocating to Tactics & New Players...

Email Bobamelius
GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-04-30 14:11   
my method of building is quite simple, on a terran planet build 10 Research labs, 5 barracks 1 Fusion Gen, and 1 hydro Farm. it can be quite frustrating building in Hot Territory.

Example A. Ross 148 is bombed but enemy is still there: Wait until it cools down before you go back in too Rebuild no sense on an iCC pilot picking you off while building undefended lol

Example B. In Admiral, while sitting in an ICC engie my suggestion is Refitting the Engineer with the Anti sensor Corvettes pulse laser batterys that way you wont have to worry about long term Regeneration

Example C. On kluth, just Ram the bombs, sure you'll die in the process i've done that many a time, and just think, you'll piss off the enemy by ramming his/her bombs hahahhaha, and if they succeed in wiping the planet, get in combat and hunt the jerk down and kill him kill him over and over until he agrees or decides too use Neutrons or builds them

Building: my method of building is this when multiple planets are needed to be build this is what i do. Put the basics up on the planet first, and jump to another planet thats half built already finish that and by that time an hour passes and the next planet is Ready to be built so on and so forth. by the way dont let other builders tell you how to build. once you're done with the system Remember to Lock all your planets your faction/ fleet has capped because you never know who might sabotage it. well thats my half page report on building, just ask anybody if im not fighting supplying, or bombing im building, something you mirvers should all do im not pointing fingers

Email GothThug {C?}
Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-04-30 16:17   
Quote:

On 2006-04-30 14:11, Twisted EmoGothThug *T1* wrote:
my method of building is quite simple, on a terran planet build 10 Research labs, 5 barracks 1 Fusion Gen, and 1 hydro Farm. it can be quite frustrating building in Hot Territory.

10 Research bases? Thats a waste of space, you'd only need eight.

Quote:

Example A. Ross 148 is bombed but enemy is still there: Wait until it cools down before you go back in too Rebuild no sense on an iCC pilot picking you off while building undefended lol

If it was necisary for that planet to be built, an engineer would have to be called in, enemy or no enemy. Best to learn how to combat engineer.

Quote:

Building: my method of building is this when multiple planets are needed to be build this is what i do. Put the basics up on the planet first, and jump to another planet thats half built already finish that and by that time an hour passes and the next planet is Ready to be built so on and so forth.

Then you build slow..I had three barren planets in tripwik built within forty five minutes, starting by scratch..
Quote:
once you're done with the system Remember to Lock all your planets your faction/ fleet has capped because you never know who might sabotage it.

Now your being rather ignorant towards your own faction. If the planet you captured has a stockpile of weapons/parts, you'd be leaving your faction out.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-04-30 20:49   
umm.... ERROR! Terran worlds have a base pop of 50! not 60. that extra ten comes from the hub. get your facts straight.

lightning[Voyager][ A ]
Cadet

Posted: 2006-05-01 04:47   
Would you 3 stop spamming and maybe type something usefull about this thread

And for Torn, a planet does have attitude toward you ship, more specificly, if it has Kluth defence

[ This Message was edited by: lightning[Voyager][ R33 ] on 2006-05-01 04:51 ]

[ DARKSPACE STAFF ] Website & News Editor / DarkSpace.net [ FRANÇAIS ]

Email lightning[Voyager][ A ]   Goto the website of lightning[Voyager][ A ]
rangar
Cadet

Posted: 2006-05-01 05:14   
i think these guys post count should be reset so they understand just how annoying spamming blank messages is....

oh, and when your building multiple planets near each other (ie. admiral server) what i do is:

start on 1 planet and build the basics. jump to #2 and build basics. then to #3 and so on. by the time i get back to #1, my pop/tech lvl will be (or very close to) high enough to begin phase 2 of building (putting defence, upgrading power/food/research and such). then jump to #2 then #3 and so on, then back to #1 for phase 3 of upgrades, as well as individualising the planet (such as making it a depo, SY, mod or def)

probably not perfect, but it works for me =)

Goth, Your my oneway ticket to GA

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-05-01 06:16   
Quote:

On 2006-05-01 05:14, rangar wrote:
i think these guys post count should be reset so they understand just how annoying spamming blank messages is....

oh, and when your building multiple planets near each other (ie. admiral server) what i do is:

start on 1 planet and build the basics. jump to #2 and build basics. then to #3 and so on. by the time i get back to #1, my pop/tech lvl will be (or very close to) high enough to begin phase 2 of building (putting defence, upgrading power/food/research and such). then jump to #2 then #3 and so on, then back to #1 for phase 3 of upgrades, as well as individualising the planet (such as making it a depo, SY, mod or def)

probably not perfect, but it works for me =)

Nooooo anything but my post count!

Here is how I try to do build. First few things you try to get up is pop and a Starport. The starport is the key to the admiral server. Once I have these items on I put the rest of the basic build on my first planet.

1 hub
8 research
6 domes
6 hydro farms
3 barracks
2 fusion gens

I then move on to the next planet. By building one structure at a time by the time you make your frist round your first planet will be somewhat close to being ready for def. I dont do e phases of building due to that just doesn't make sense. On second phase:

Upgrade to automated hydrofarms
Upgrade to Cortex
scrap 2 barracks
put on 6 variance gens
1 dictor
and depending on resource level i put lvl2 or 3 for def bases
I always try to have 4 sensor base on a plaent as well.

Remember you engi has a minning beam. Use it. Getting as much resource flow as possible will keep your building alive.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Page created in 0.017434 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR