Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Beacons
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Beacons
Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-05-22 11:46   
Quote:

On 2006-05-22 11:22, Carns wrote:
Beacons already "go away" when our ship is hit a few times. When our ships are hit a few times, the ships explode. =)

Currently in live, one device that can be placed on every ship completely eliminates the ability of an entire faction to preform it's special "ability".

According to most UGTO, including at least one green icon staff UGTO, this is not unfair in any fashion.

Energy is the UGTO special, we are told.

If the K'luth were to suddenly recieve the Nanite Pod Launcher, which immeadiately depleted your energy capacitor and prevented it from refilling for the same length of time as a beacon... what? 15 minutes? So there you would be, sublight speeds, one and only one jump, and one more shot off whatever weapons were charged when the pod hit. We have effectively no armor, you have effectively no weapons. We also have the right to put it in every ship we fly, just like beacon.

Considering that is the EXACT same thing to you as beacons are to us in live at the moment... which the players above seem hellbent on preserving, I expect to hear impassioned pleas from the UGTO that this is exactly what the game needs.

Or, would you prefer that such things be only implemented on Scouts?

We could also put 2-3 of these on each ship just incase the first one is dodge and the more we hit you with the longer your out.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-05-22 20:36   
It's not exactly the same, but I do believe that the beacon needs a DEFFINATE change, not only in design, but on the ships its used. If its stuck on scouts, it gives them a use and actually means they can be useful on the battlefield, meaning un-subbed pilots can be more useful in scouts. Not only that, but changing beacons so that they don't stop K'luth in their tracks by disabling cloak, but instead, making the cloak timer longer... These two should help K'luth significantly, whilst making the game more balanced at the same time for everyone.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2006-05-31 07:20   
I think what they want Jack, is for Kluth to be insta-detecable and easy to kill for easy prestige.

Give the luth's a break. The idea Jack has, has been in the circuit for a long time and its the best yet. Kluth DO need a fairer chance than spamming beacons at them and o'looky, they're revealed.

Also, limiting them to scouts also sounds valid, cause it does give them a good use.

-Ent

thundercat984
Cadet

Posted: 2006-06-03 00:29   
One thing factor i haven't seen mentioned yet is player base. Did I miss the droves of players signning up to play DS? I must have otherwise it would make little sense for such a low player-base game to have to sacrifice a combat player to be an easable killed scout. Restricting beacons tp scouts give kluth yet another huge advantage as you see a typical ugto fleet moving into fight is what? Four maybe five ships? As it is we would have to demote a combat ship to scouting leaving fewer ugto combat ships while we would have to fight the full kluth force and for what? who In their right mind would jump at the chance to fly a newly weaked scout into the face of its worst enemy(ruptors)? Where they could gain next to zero presitge (as beaconing gives like .1 pres.) and have a really good chance of dying. All i'm saying is that ds doesn't have such a great number of players so that we can afford to sacrifice someone to a support role that gains them nothing.

Email thundercat984
YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-03 06:18   
Thundercat, a majority of players, certainly from what I can tell, have grown to be absolutely dependent on beacons. Take away the cloak and you know full well that K'luth fly sub-standard ships, and their armour is that of a ship class down or lower.

What you're probably worried about is that it will become impossible to hit the K'luth due to an uncompromisable cloak, but if that's the case, then why currently is it so easy for ICC and UGTO to hit them with a beacon in the first place? Beacons travel slower than most weapons, and you can sill manage a hit with them in one period of being decloaked. If you no longer force the K'luth to run from a fight, then they will likely be forced to stay and fight and will take damage.

So I would suggest that people stop relying so heavily on beacons and a little more on skill

thundercat984
Cadet

Posted: 2006-06-03 09:02   
I'm saying there are other options beside restricting beacons to scouts. Beacons could be made less effective by decreaseing the timer, range and reload. Restricting beacons to scouts goes to far, it doesn't balance the game it shifts the advantage to kluth. On the other hand if cloak was made less effective by saying increasing cloak time and energy drain or making them ineffective against planet-side senor bases or mass ship-based sensors(meaning at least like 10 senors) that would make it balanced. That way kluth would still be able to use the cloak to get close to there target and all they would need to do to get away is just move outta of sensor range. So the cloak would still be effective it just won't be so effective as to let kluth act with impunity.

Email thundercat984
Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2006-06-03 09:07   
the whole point of getting beacons fixed, is that it will draw people back to DS. When that happens, and also every ship now either has a ecm, scanner or eccm, if cloack was detectable by sensors, it would simply happen.

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-03 11:00   
One other point I forgot to add was that what with beams and cannons having distinctive slots, the dominant weapon on a K'luth ship will be the disruptor, so if one decloaks you can pretty much bet that it'll be withing 150gu. That's very close, and all you have to do in order to return fire is press an arrow key. That's far from acting with impunity.

[ This Message was edited by: YIIMM on 2006-06-03 11:01 ]

rangar
Cadet

Posted: 2006-06-13 05:04   
scout vs mandy.

chances of living? low
chances of getting a beacon onto it? low
chances of getting a beacon on it and living? 1 in a million
chances of getting a beacon on it and not taking hull damage? never gonna happen.

1 mandy ruptor could pwn a teeny weeny scout. so how do mandy's get tagged?

Goth, Your my oneway ticket to GA

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-15 07:44   
Why are you so scared to actually have to have a fleet and some skill? Here's what will do when beta comes up we will get lets say 10 people together you 5 kluth and 5 UGTO and I bet I can beacon all 5 kluth ships with out dying.

Email Smartin
GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-15 09:11   
been done, I had Doda, veron and me in beta Doda was the scout, i was the Battle Dread and Veron was the mandible, if it wasnt for me distracting the mandible, doda would be dead, doda got within beacon range, got him and jumped out, i took heavy damage from the port armor and killed him now, if you put 1 beacon on the dreads and other ships this would not be a problem catch my drift? ^^

Email GothThug {C?}
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2006-06-15 09:31   
The beacon "issue" will be self fixing with the current beta version.
Currently, virtually every ship in the game can mount this simple, but effective counter to the cloak.
With Beta, these ships cannot.
If you want to use beacons, you have to fly a scout; they are the only ships that can mount them.
In my opinion, this is a little too extreme, and I would like to see higher level ships that are targetted as electronic warfare platforms. The obvious candidates for this are the ED/PD and Border Cruisers, as although a dedicated PD ship is a good idea, not many people will want to play one as you have little chance to gain prestige. Adding one beacon slot and maybe some additional E-warfare devices will give them a pretty vital role, and is in keeping with the screning idea. It will also make them primary targets for the K'luth, but that's all part of the fun.

Making too many big changes to gameplay at onces is something that we have done in the past and suffered for. I definately think we should avoid changing the way beacons work, for now at least, until we have a chance to see exactly what impact the new balance changes will have.

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2006-06-15 10:22 ]

Goto the website of Drafell
Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-15 10:11   
Even as a kluth player I really like Drafells idea. Thats a good idea as long as its put on ships that are primarly Point Defense ships. Picket, ED, and Boarder. Very good idea IMO. This will encourage more warfare including the Kluth and will still keep in fun for us.

Good Thinking Drafell!

Email Smartin
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-06-15 10:26   
Dictor and such a ship would disable a Kluth fleet entirely though.

Dictor stops escape.

Beacon ship beacons all ships that uncloak.

Fleet mops up.

I still think something needs to be done to the beacon so that it doesn't stop cloak working completly.

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2006-06-15 10:39   
Another scenario:

- K'luth fleet uncloaked on the PD and kills it.
- PD manages to beacon one kluth before it explodes in a big ball of superheated plasma.
- The dictor activates.
- K'luth all cloak, except the ship that got beaconed.
- Beaconed Luthie runs like KFC chicken, which he will most likely turn into withing the next 30 seconds.
- K'luth fleet uncloaks and kills the dictor.
- Beaconed Luthie is turned into chicken nuggets.
- K'luth fleet recloaks.
- UGTO panics and runs.

Goto the website of Drafell
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025408 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR