Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Sensor Bases..
 Author Sensor Bases..
Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-05-22 00:20   
Well, it's pretty simple..Different level of sensors, and different classes..

As in Defenses, there are Level I, Level II, and Level III defense bases..So why not sensors? Having 4-5 sensors can be good bit of space on a planet..So, Have it to where Sensor II's equal two Sensor Is, and Level III's equal Three Sensor I's, or a Sensor II and one Sensor I, etc..
Now, for classes..Something i've been mulling over for abit.

Ship Sensor Base - A sensor base only ment to seak out ships under ECM, and to increase the range of enemy detection..

Bomb Sensor Base - A sensor base only ment to seak out Bombs..

Projectile Sensor Base - A Sensor base only ment to seak out Missles/Fighters/Infantry..

Pretty simple Idea, I geuss.

-Crim

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-05-22 09:10   
If we were to make changes I think this would be a much better idea. I like the idea of being able to use different sensor bases. I think we would need to go a little more in depth on the idea.

Lvl 1 Sensor Base:
1-pop
10- power
Brings Ships Signature Up

Lvl 2 Sensor Base:
2-pop
15- power
Brings Ship Signature Up and Missles

Lvl 3 Sensor Base:
3-pop
20-power
Brings Ship Signature Up, Missles, and Bombs

Right now that would be the same as defense bases witch I feel would be a good idea to make the requirements so high. If you were able to put a lvl3 sensor base up that was equivalent to a 3 lvl 1's you could really bring some ship signatures. Even if you just had it so it brought up all 3(ship, missle, bombs) a little bit more at each level would work to. I like the idea it would force people to change the way to build. Players would have to sacrafice defense bases and fighter bases in order to put on better Sensor bases or just put one sensor base on and leave 3 more slots open for defense or depots.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-05-22 20:43   
Don't think that'd go down too well... It'd require an entire re-code of the objects to hold more information. Currently there's only three types of sensor warfare.

ECM
ECCM
SCANNER

ECM reduces ALL object's & ship's signatures
ECCM increases ALL object's & ship's signatures
SCANNER makes ALL objects within a certain range visable (to that player).

These are the only type that are needed...

Adding more sensors to make only bombs visable is useless, as sensor bases (ECCM) already do that job, and adding more types when not needed, doesn't really make the game any better. Plus, building isn't meant to be the main attraction point of this game. Yes, it is a part, but adding more buildings and such that we don't need, doesn't improve the game, but can actually detract from the main part of it (PVP).

- Jack

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2006-05-23 04:12   
In a game where there is so much to do, so many thing available, everything in DS in its own way, plays its own role, and indeed, is a main point.

Many developers before have made the mistake of focusing on just one single part of the game, and only half-assed doing the rest.

So in reality, while some of us might be biased combat players, building, and capping, etc. are also, a key part of DS. and even if they are okay now, if you can make it better it improves the overall game.

Remember kids, just because you dont need something, doesnt mean you cant have it.

Now..

Personally, im not a builder. I hate building. But I like the idea of more/different kinds of buildings. And a tiered Sensor base would be rather innovative. However, I disagree about needing different types of sensor bases. One sensor base to detect them all, but more powerful sensors to make a planet harder to sneak by.

-Ent

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-05-23 06:59   
Ok, I wasn't aware of how it all worked so I am glad Jack shed some light on all this. I am also glad Ent made his point as well. So what about keeping orginal sensor bases and just making the lvl 1, lvl2, and lvl3?

-Thoughts-

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-05-23 07:19   
Level 1-2-3 sensor bases would work, obviously, requiring more power, population and such for each level. I think more levels in buildings we already use to improve planets would be a better choice than adding more buildings to complicate things.

@Ent, I wasn't saying it couldn't be made better, I was just saying, adding too many complicated things that aren't really needed, can detract from actual gameplay. Making building simple (in my opinion), would make things a lot easier, especially for new players (since building is one of the more confusing things in this game).

I was thinking about something like faction plans, where you can click a set plan set by GA's for a planet type, and it'd build it up to that level slowly (obviously the engineer would need to stay in orbit, but building of the planet would be automatic). Would need a lot of work (checking for population and tech level's, etc), but something like this might actually improve gameplay.

A) It makes building quicker for those who don't like it, or find it boring.
B) Those who love building can work on, and improve plans and GA's can come along and 'bookmark' them so that they can be used by the entire faction.

Obviously something like this would need a huge amount of work, and I wouldn't bet on it being implimented...

But it's just an idea o/

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-05-24 11:24   
Does it have to be a Grand Admiral?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-05-24 16:28   
Would add something for them. At the moment, there's not much for anyone end-game. Would be nice to add some real governing type of play.

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-05-24 20:31   
Yes, something governing would be nice..But why just for GAs? Could be players like me that are active in the politics/action of a faction and not be a GA able to be involved.

Page created in 0.018030 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR