No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » An idea
 Author An idea
.spaivxx.
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-05-29 04:01   
In my prolonged absence from DS, I somehow came under the impression that e game itself was drawing to it's end, how glad I am to see that there still is life here!!!!

Anyhow, I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool to have "progressive" damage. For instance, you are in an EAD, you take heavy damage, but your damage control crew was part of the casualties, or at least a lot of them were. So..... Now you got a ship on fire, hull integrity greatly diminished, lumbering through space. With your damage control people deador otherwise incapacitated, the condition of your ship worsens over time.

Imagine the satisfaction of getting the messege that the EAD that just barely got out alive, the one you were sure escaped, had blown up, like a minute or two after you last saw him!!!

It could work like this.... Each ship has X amount of damae control points (representing crew and parts and such). They take damage like any other ship system would. If they are 50% or better intact, your ship's systems are autrepairing, at a rate directly proportional to the percentage of healthy damage control crew and equiptment. Conversely, anything under 50% would result in your ship slowly taking additional damage.

But before the progressive damage would kick in, a system (including hull) would have to be under a certain percentage anyway, So it's not like if you took a small bruising your ship would begin deteriorating.

Im sure like my bounty on players heads who faction hop and my many, many other well thought out and not all too difficult to impliment ideas this one will never go anywhere, but I figured I would post it anyway.

-RevenG-

Raven Warriors

Posted: 2006-05-29 11:33   
Sounds like a cool idea, but, I could see alot of people whining and making new comp threads >.> Otherwise, sounds neat.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-05-29 12:41   
It's just a tad too realistic...

This is more of an arcady-MMO, and there aren't any crew in DS, so it'd have to be done on random chance. Also, I'm sure some people would feel cheated in death if they had survived for quite some time in a damaged ship (as I and many others have done before), and then *poof* suddenly started taking damage...

So, I don't really think it would fit into the play style .

It would also require live tracking on the server. Since once flagged, the server needs to send damage packets to your client every second or two, and we need less things to monitor live on the servers, not more

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-05-29 12:44 ]

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-05-29 13:32   
besides have of these newer admirals can't fly a ship worth a darn anyway.. so anymroe chance at them would make not wanna do an combat

Email Borgie
Maskerade
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-05-29 17:24   
Quote:

On 2006-05-29 12:41, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
It's just a tad too realistic...

*snip*... and there aren't any crew in DS....*snip*

Well my captain for one has NEVER crashed a ship into a planet...

...it has always been the Captain's overall responsibility but it is the Nav Officer that has done the crashing

JRE
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-05-29 21:01   
What is wrong with some realism? I thought the idea was a very good one.

Bash
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-05-29 21:56   
Quote:

On 2006-05-29 21:01, JRE wrote:
What is wrong with some realism? I thought the idea was a very good one.

Jre that would mean more lag DS dont need more till the lag we get now gets less.
01:38:43 Shigernafy: "never trust a brit with your website.."

This message brought to you by the Flying Coffin Foundation"

12:02:07 Doran: "and you never hear AI complaining about how dumb players are"

Maskerade
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-05-29 23:08   
Not really Bash. Armour, shields and if you are kluth - hull, all gradually increase as they are "repaired" by damage control (exception being ablative).

This idea is valid and wouldn't be anymore then a reverse count. Say for example your hull reachs 30%, then it is considered too much for damage control to stablize/repair and therein starts a gradual decrease in hull integrity until, well....boom.

I think it is a good idea and would be an interesting feature of the game, not to mention bring back some importance to supply ships.

EDIT: should repost this idea in the beta forums spaivxx

[ This Message was edited by: Maskerade on 2006-05-30 00:31 ]

.spaivxx.
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-05-30 03:08   
About realism.... I want a game hat puts me as close to the experience of space combat as possible. Since space combat does not yet exist, and therefore simulating it is by very definition unrealistic, my statement is completely illogical, but you get my meaning.

Seriously ANY extra variable that could add another dimension to gameplay would be great......

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-05-30 04:49   
Quote:

On 2006-05-29 23:08, Maskerade wrote:
Not really Bash. Armour, shields and if you are kluth - hull, all gradually increase as they are "repaired" by damage control (exception being ablative).

This idea is valid and wouldn't be anymore then a reverse count. Say for example your hull reachs 30%, then it is considered too much for damage control to stablize/repair and therein starts a gradual decrease in hull integrity until, well....boom.

I think it is a good idea and would be an interesting feature of the game, not to mention bring back some importance to supply ships.

EDIT: should repost this idea in the beta forums spaivxx

I think that works based on properties of the armour and the AHR device. You'll notice that without it, the hull doesn't repair. This is because the AHR is an active object, and always on, so if hull = <100, AHR = on, if AHR ammo = >1, then -1 and + 0.50 hull. For that to work, you'd need another system on each ship, which would in return need to scan for hull type, to remove the correct amount of hull.

It just feels a little too complicated to impliment when (in my opinion), it wouldn't add anything significant to the game, but infact have a chance to significantly reduce the fun had by those playing (no one likes dying to something that's uncontrolable).

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-05-30 09:21 ]

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2006-05-30 07:51   
you know, i dont think those metal hull plates can actually burn...

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-05-30 10:43   
I just wait for the day when DS can do damage modelling as well as Il-2

Page created in 0.025801 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR