No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Client Installation Issues (Hardware/Drivers) » » Client freezes for about 2 seconds and continues on. Happens ALOT
 Author Client freezes for about 2 seconds and continues on. Happens ALOT
Arven
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-08 19:14   
Hi, I have just started playing DS again (gone for what seems like 3 years now and boy has alot changed) and I am having an issue that for the life of me, I can not figure out why it is doing this. Here is what happens.

Keep in mind this happens even in the tutorial. I have not timed it as it seems to happen often but not with any type of pattern that I can see. Playing the tutorial and all the DS servers, I will be flying around with nobody around, building a planet, fighting, or in the middle of jumping, it happens everywhere that I can see. I get random client freezes that last for what appears exactly 2 seconds. When jumping it always appears to last 2 seconds as when it comes back, the countdown timer has gone down by 2 seconds.

I am currently running a home built pc that runs wow, eq2, D&D online, EVE, Tomb Raider legends, and not a single problem out of any of those games so I am just trying to figure out if it is in my system or if it is somewhere else.

My specs are:
DFI Lanparty UT motherboard
1.8 duel core Opteron amd chip (overclocked to 2.5ghz) and rock stable if I may add.
7900gtx Nvidia card
2 gig of Mushkin high performance memory.
Onboard sound Nvidia nforce audio
100 gig HD
Running on a Dell 20 inch wide screen flat panel monitor 1680x1050

Any ideas? I am running with everything turned up to full. Usually when this happens I have seen others in the game yell lag right after, so I am really unsure if that is the type of lag they are having also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

$milingJ35te|2™{=21st=}[R33HG]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-08 19:40   
well try turning the game detials down a bit, as well as ur resolution. it is a sort of lag, but its not server lag, most likely these few pauses between jumping and other stuff in the like u say u are experiencing, is caused due to either A: ISP lag, (the amount of hops you are between ur PC and www.palestar.net B: system lag where ur res may be set a tad to high for ur PC to handle thus ur game is "freezing". might i suggest a defrag, scan disk and spy/virus scan to ensure everything on ur end is running A ok.
Further more if u are using a router see if that would be slowing down he flow of packets comming from or to teh interweb so like i said try turning down the res, or any of the above, and even a quick tracert to palestar just to see how many hops u are infact making along ur route to MV gaming

d- -b -SJ

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-06-08 23:54   
Hm. I thought this was the same problem as me before you mentioned the tutorial...

Seems like it's something to do with hard drive access. Shut down any AV programs and the like and try again.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* *SL3* on 2006-06-08 23:55 ]

Arven
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-09 13:16   
I spent a lot of time last night trying different configurations. None of them made a difference. Lowest settings, lowest resolution, sound changes, /focus changes, had everything turned off that I could outside of the game. Only 26 proc's running. Even Faustus was there and stated that it appeared to be the server resyncing me. However, it does it often enough that I have to wonder why I am getting so out of whack and having to resync. Even in the tutorial it does it. My ping is good to the server, it sits at 40-60ish all the time, My fps is maxed at 999 so its not a video issue that I can see, I even tried forcing it to lower fps's and that didnt make any difference either. I have not had any lag at all since I joined back that I could even notice. The only issue I have is the freezing up for 2 seconds at a time. Another person in chat said they had the exact same problem and that it was just lag, yet to me it would seem to be a server side problem rather then my machine. However many people say they never see anything like that.

So after spending a few hours testing out every possible solution I could, I guess I am stuck with having 2 second freezes as I can not see any other thing to change.

$milingJ35te|2™{=21st=}[R33HG]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-09 13:39   
what kind of internet does ur ISP provide, DSL, SATT, CABLE, DIAL up? If its sat is it partially cloudy? If its DSL have u ensured ur nic is running full 100mbs @ full duplex if ur router (assuming ur running one) supports it. as well as with DSL u can optimize it a bit more then ur ISP would like u to know about but i wont tell u how. Cable has various issues are u living in a densely populated area, with either A a lot of apartments near by B lots of business that access the cable network for POS machines and Debit transactions. or are u in a remote location with lots and lots of line between u and ur ISP network node. Dial up is self explanitory, but u said u have relatively low ping times. I'm sure if its not on ur box side, and u can see all hops to servers it prolly wouldnt be ur ISP but they oculd be effected it a bit. possibly even the server resync sounds like a good possibility as per faustus, i tend to agree with him moreso then the rest of us...since u know..... riiiiight anyways, i hope u resolve ur issue and that any of our help contributed to the resoluton of said issue. and lastly do u have ur XP firewall turned on? if so try turning it off especially running SP2. and more over if u have a router try shutting that down for a few mins and checking the difference anything slowing down those packets = lag time

*cheers m8 and good luck*

d- -b -SJ

Arven
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-06-09 16:14   
I m currently on time warner cable. 6 meg down 384k up. I do not run windows firewall. only firewall involved is on my router and it only has on the basics. I am running windows xp home edition on sp2. Heck, I even use vonage from behind the firewall and have no issues with it and it was just plug and play. I didnt setup any port forwarding or anything like that. Also my computer, for testing, is set on the DMZ. Online games is my passion. I play them and I play alot of them, and so far, this is the first time with this machine that I have had any type of issues at all with any online game. So for now, I will still look into it, but I am not going to go crazy over it. its playable and only happens at random times. i have played for half an hour and not get it once, or play for 10 minutes and see it happen 3 or 4 times. SO unless it gets seriously bad, for now, Im just going to try and play some hehe.

Page created in 0.011626 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR