Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Dictors
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Dictors
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-07 12:11   
Quote:

On 2006-07-06 21:44, leonide*P3* wrote:
yeah, but dictors stay away from you. imagine trying to get through broken ICC shields while a fleet is pounding on you. the interdictor should require a lot of power, and a ship powering shields AND a dictor at the same time and not losing energy going at 3/4 speed is just fine? i think not. how about you play the game and find out for yourself binks before you make posts like this, hmm?

You said it yourself, the ICC dictor hasn't changed. I've played ICC dictors in release and I know for a fact that in the heat of battle you need to be running around 15-20 gu/s just to survive, what with all the random fire and the targeted fire. Being a big fan of dictors myself (and playing them whenever I get the chance (read am subbed)) I see no problem with letting then run at 3/4 speed. If it was full speed I could see your concern but 3/4 speed is basicly the default battle speed. But, if you're unwilling to accept that it's balanced we could have a little test battle, you and a friend one of you in a dictor running at whatever speed you think would be balanced and me in say a torp cruiser targetting the dictor, lets see how long it lasts without 3/4 speed...

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-07 13:07   
Quote:

On 2006-07-07 12:11, Battle Droid Binks wrote:
But, if you're unwilling to accept that it's balanced we could have a little test battle, you and a friend one of you in a dictor running at whatever speed you think would be balanced and me in say a torp cruiser targetting the dictor, lets see how long it lasts without 3/4 speed...

the problem with that is, the dictor isn't mean to take on ships 1 on 1. It's fleet support, not a battleship.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2006-07-07 14:35   
Quote:

the problem with that is, the dictor isn't mean to take on ships 1 on 1. It's fleet support, not a battleship.

I feel the need to highlight this.

What it seems is that some people want the ability to outrun dictors in a Dreadnought.

While I can see how being caught in a dictor field can be pretty annoying, lets take into the fact of how you have to try to get yourself caught into one.

You pretty much have to be alone. And/or in the middle of nowhere. And/or at a gate. And/or at an enemy planet.

IF you are rather silly enough to allow yourself to be..alone...and caught by a dictor, whos fault is it?

Yours.

That being said, with dictors, they're meant to hold the ships they catch. They are NOT however, meant to be able to FIGHT what the catch.

Hence the above bolding. They are not battleships. They are meant to be used in fleet operations to keep from being jumped and/or harassment attacks. If a group of 5 cruisers and a dictor pounce on lone - and stupid - people and kill them, then it makes it strategic.

If you make it slow you would be better off sitting still, where they are easy prey for ships even in a fleet engagement, then whats the point of flying one?

My opinion, full speed on cruiser isnt right for a dictor, on any ship. However, I do support a 3/4th decrease. While they might not be able to keep up with a much faster cruiser unless they knew what they were doing, they could hold other ships like they were meant to not be able to really at all, fight back.

After all..they're not battleships are they?

-Ent

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-07 14:44   
Speed decrease is indeed a good idea, besides, an interdictor had the advantage in that it can close jump anything that can outrun it.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-07-07 17:18   
They shouldn't have + energy if the dictor is activated full stop.

You should be able to run for a certain amount of time, if you run slower, you last longer, and oposite if you run faster.

doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-07 17:57   
Dictors still have less weapons than most ships of their class

Try this fight a dictor against an enemy cruiser. Who will win, chances are that the enemy cruiser will win because the dictators lacks guns in comparison to a normal ship of its own class. See so I dont think dictots need to be weakened any bit, the lack of weapons already makes it weak enough. If you manage to get killed by one,
A. the enemy pilot has more skill than you
B. different class ships, if your like running a destroyer against a cruiser, chances are your going to loose
C. there are other ships in the area

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-07 18:13   
Wow, having re-read my post I realize it's pretty confusing, what I was suggesting was that the person who posted this thread grab a dictor and a buddy, put the buddy in a cruiser and face me in a cruiser, I'll target the dictor, both of them will target me, the dictor is only allowed to run at say 10 gu/s or so and we see if the dictor can outsurvive me at that speed.

And to those who suggest a speed decrease may I ask what purpose that would serve? A slower dictor won't let you escape because as someone mentioned it can just close jump to stop you, all a slower dictor will do is get dictor pilots killed. Essentially you'll be completely destroying the usefulness of this class of ship because people will learn that if they're dictored all they have to do is turn, kill the dictor, then run. The dictor need to be able to dodge incoming fire.

Here's what I propose, why not make the dictor able to run at 3/4 speed and take shield damage without losing any power (would need a good deal of balancing, have to make the power recharge rate at x speed = all 4 shield's recharge energy drain) but if they fire they lose power...

If you take away speed you will make the dictor a coffin, it's already the first ship many people in a battle will target so what other disadvantages does it need?