No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » NEWS: UGTO Fleet Encounters Mysterious Creature
 Author NEWS: UGTO Fleet Encounters Mysterious Creature
Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-07-19 00:37   
Today, an UGTO expeditionary fleet made another startling discovery in the Unknown Region (an uncharted area of space near the center of the quadrant). In addition to the previously-discovered planets dubbed 'Legion Base' and 'Tortuga', nearby a sizeable nebula was discovered along with a mysterious wormhole-like spacial disruption. The nebula showed signs of Gaifen habitation and soon UGTO comm channels were ablaze calling for science teams and further military reinforcements in the area. At least one UGTO ship attempted to enter the disruption to investigate, and was never heard from again.

Only a few minutes after sending these hails, however, the fleet was met with an unexpected adversary. A spacefaring creature apparently of the Gaifen genus appeared several thousand GU from the nebula, careening straight towards the UGTO forces at high speed. Within seconds the Gaifen was on top of the fleet, and unleashed a furious blaze of organic beam weapons. The UGTO returned fire, landing what should have been crippling blows on the creature with their particle cannons. However, the mysterious Gaifen somehow healed all of the damage inflicted by the fleet's weapons in a matter of seconds, and withdrew at high speed before disappearing once more. Shortly thereafter, the creature reappeared and made another pass on the two UGTO dreadnoughts and interceptor frigate that were engaging it. During the course of the entire engagement, UGTO ships reported mysterious discharge of weapon energy and power reserves; apparently the Gaifen was able to drain their energy as well.

The Gaifen made several passes on the UGTO fleet, inflicting severe armor damage on one dreadnought before concentrated fire was finally able to destroy it. Ship captains sighed with relief, although still in a state of disbelief as to how a Gaifen was able to put up such a fight.

The ordeal wasn't over, however. Contact with both of the planets in the Unknown Region, which had been captured and had colonies established on them in the wake of the Mir invasion, was lost. After dealing with the Gaifen, the UGTO fleet was sent to investigate. They arrived at Tortuga first, and dispatched several platoons of soldiers to investigate what had happened. The soldiers found that the colony itself was fully intact, however the colonists seemed to have slipped into a coma. Med teams were easily able to revive them, but they had no memory whatsoever of what had happened in the previous hours.

Tortuga secure, the UGTO moved on to the planet dubbed 'Legion Base', as it appeared to be the center of operations for the recent Mir invasion. A more extensive colony had been set up there, complete with extensive habitats, research facilities, a shipyard and light defenses. Upon the fleet's arrival, LB's defenses immediately opened fire. Lacking the infantry to mount a successful invasion of the rogue planet, the UGTO fleet resorted waiting outside of the planet's effective defense range until further reinforcements arrived, while simultaneously keeping an eye on the nebula in case more Gaifen were to arrive.

Several minutes later, another Gaifen decloaked and attempted to engage the UGTO fleet at Legion Base. Scans showed that this Gaifen was genetically identical to the one the fleet had destroyed earlier; in fact, it was essentially the same one. Its weapons systems were far less powerful than before, although it still possessed its incredible healing abilities, cloaking capability and energy-draining capacity. After shooting the creature, the UGTO forces also discovered that it had another trick up its sleeve: it was able to generate wormholes. The Gaifen created a wormhole to an apparently random location in space several hundred thousand GU away from Legion Base and disappeared.

The Gaifen driven off, UGTO forces returned their attention to Legion Base, and were eventually able to recapture it. The inhabitants of the planet had apparently converted to a religion they call 'Pastafarianism', and were, to a man, dressed in full pirate regalia. The colonists put up a stiff resistance to UGTO troops, but eventually surrendered. Interrogations of various prisoners indicate that for no apparent reason, the entire planet's population suddenly began worshipping a deity they call 'the Flying Spaghetti Monster'. The inhabitants claimed that this deity created the universe, that they were its willing and loyal subjects, and that the religion required them to dress as pirates. When asked why they had to dress as pirates, every prisoner replied that the reasoning behind this is far too complicated to be explained in any short order. UGTO troops also found a large artificial volcano which erupted with alcoholic substances, as well as a manufacturing center converted to the production of fembots. Inhabitants claimed that these two structures were central to their religion; shortly afterwards, both were detonated with high-yield explosives by the UGTO.

After a few hours, the inhabitants seemed to return to normal, claiming that they had no memory of the preceding hours. After passing a rigorous series of mental screenings and evaluations, the surviving members of the planet's population that weren't killed during the fighting were allowed to return to their everyday lives. This occurance is believed to be the result of some form of large-scale mind control.

UGTO High Command is very concerned about the escape of this creature. The fact that it was able to effortlessly control the inhabitants of Legion Base has everyone within the UGTO worried about where it could strike next. Maurbon, Mars, even Earth - these are all potential victims for the next encounter with this creature.

In the aftermath of these events, UGTO scientists have been hard at work trying to determine the origins of this immensely powerful Gaifen. The creature has been dubbed 'the Flying Spaghetti Monster' since it is believed to be tied with the events at Legion Base. The research project is being headed up by Dr. Theodore Zymran, one of the UGTO's foremost scientists. Zymran has a number of interesting theories regarding the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Following are excerpts from a recent interview:

"This creature, this Flying Spaghetti Monster, is, as far as we can tell, a member of the Gaifen genus. We thought Gaifens had been hunted to utter extinction during the early phases of the war. It's surprising that we've found one at all, let alone one this powerful."

---

"Yes, it does seem as though the FSM was able to somehow exert mind control over the inhabitants of Legion Base and Tortuga, unless what we witnessed there was just a very clever ruse. I find that highly unlikely, however. We've never seen mind control that actually works before, though, and a Gaifen exerting this effect? Unheard of. The people on Legion Base said that their god, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, had simply taken the form of a Gaifen. Maybe what they said has more credence than we thought..."

---

"We have absolutely no idea how the FSM seems to have resurrected itself after being destroyed by the UGTO fleet. The fact that it was weaker at the second encounter, though, indicates that it needed time or resources to heal, which apparently were present at Legion Base and Tortuga. Neither planet possesses any resources of value, nor is there any sign that anything physical has been taken from the planets. One interesting thing that we're thinking about is that FSM feeds on the life force of the populace. This may also explain the descrepency between the situation on Tortuga and the one on Legion Base. Tortuga's population was only a fraction of that on Legion Base, so it's possible that the FSM had to drain more life force from them, causing them to enter a coma, whereas the more plentiful population of Legion Base allowed it to subtly feed and simultaneously exert its mind contr-- yes, yes, I'm getting a bit off subject. Anyway, it seems as though the FSM needs to recover from being 'killed' the first time, and since it disappeared into open space we have no idea where it may turn up next."

--

The spatial disruption discovered in the Unknown Region nebula is of particular interest to us. It seems very wormhole-like in composition, although we have absolutely no idea where it goes and all the ships we've sent to investigate have been lost. It's not entirely implausible, given the circumstances, to hypothesize that the last remaining members of the Gaifen species have fled into this disruption, which could lead to a very distant location, or perhaps another dimension. Or perhaps they originated there. We don't know at this point. How this disruption formed in the first place is a mystery to us; it seems possible that our Flying Spaghetti Monster friend may have created it. Being as powerful as it is, it is likely the most highly-evolved member of the Gaifen species - or perhaps its progenitor.

--

Further updates and statements from UGTO, ICC and K'luth fleet authorities to come.

(Those of you who were involved or have a neat statement to interject in this thread, feel free to do so. Make sure you're relevent and use good grammar/punctuation, and try to keep random chatter to a minimum.)

[ This Message was edited by: Bobamelius on 2006-07-19 09:04 ]

Email Bobamelius
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-07-19 01:55   
Vice Admiral Leonide of the Carrier Dreadnought V.C.A.S Excalibur had this to say on the Gaifen:

"that thing was fast! it was about 3/4 the size of my ship, and most of the Particle Cannon fire didn't even touch it. when we did hit it, it just healed itself in a matter of seconds. i haven't seen anything like this at all. i hope it stays gone, wherever it went."

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Riley!
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2006-07-19 02:58   
Fleet Admiral Riley of the ICC also commented:

"My crew and I were in a kluth system just off the border of kluth/icc space orbitting a friendly planet in which we had recently captured, when out of nowhere two ships that appeared to be UGTO in origin; an Elite Assault Dreadnought and a Missle Cruiser, jumped in to our location, 150 gu's away from our ships hul and opened firel. Normally I would have assumed this to be a usual UGTO attack and take the appropriate defensive measures, however sensors weren't registering these vessel's as UGTO.

Most sensor data from the encounter was lost in the attack, but we were able to recover some fragments, and from that data we learned the ships infact were not UGTO, due to the lack of a UGTO transponder signal (notice in the images below, the ships are marked as neutral/rogue[yellow]).

It is our belief that either these were vessels were commandeered and being piloted by someone or something other than UGTO helmsmen or...
this so called "FSM" has the ability to take other forms, such as the vessels I noted above.

The idea that such a creature could mimic forms like this is very disturbing.

Another theory I didn't want to mention, but will anyways, is I think that this might also be some part of the FSM's mind control. I think that somehow it has found a way to take control over vessels using it's mind control abilities, and if this is true, then all of us are in trouble.

I've passed this information over to ICC Headquaters and Scientific Research Centers for further anaylizing and more information will be posted when available.

Fleet Admiral Riley out"

Sensor Data:
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4

[ This Message was edited by: Riley! on 2006-07-19 04:04 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-19 10:48   
Random Retired caption #23472891 had this comment to make:

"Perhaps, eh, Legion Base was touched by his Noodly Appendage?..."

doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-19 12:15   
Message from retired Vice Admiral Commanding ST-6 VCA10

Our ship appears to have recorded that this Gaifen possessed a unique device on board called an Innard. However due to lack of experience with Gaifens, we do not know if this is normal for Gaifen species.
Previously we have encountered other mysterious ICC ships possessing similar devices.

Before this encounter I also intercepted a special broadcast which seemed to have come from this Gaifen and may bring new light on the situation. If i can remember, the message said...

*interruption*

We seem to have received signal that ICC have appeared in our newly acquired planets 'Legion Base' and 'Tortuga'... Ending transmission *bzzzzt*

[ This Message was edited by: doda *P1* on 2006-07-19 12:25 ]

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-07-19 17:42   
Grand Admiral Coeus had this to comment, "Bloody hell, its 1400, I'm sleeping. Get the hell off my station you noosey reporters!"

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Page created in 0.011439 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR