Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » The Observe Option
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author The Observe Option
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-07-22 02:28   
Fix this Observe Option. Why? Rather simple.. I fought for an hour and a half, got two kills, and decided it was time to log. I got to a location away from the current battle, and logged. I come into the lobby with 03:24:02 [FS]Xpli$it: "i got Crim! ". Sure enough, the prestige loss from my destroyer has been added to my profile. This would be so bad, if it was a legit kill. The only way Xpli$it could have actualy found me would to have sprayed shots over every GU of the field, or use the observe command to look for my ship, and locate any familiar planets/gas giants within the system. Yes, I was near a planet.

Email Supertrooper
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-07-22 04:10   
Or he used nav. There's a bug that doesn't quite decloak you on the nav screen, so you're seen.

Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-22 17:18   
I remember this topic coming up before
Observe should have a time-out, or be removed, which was the general 'consensus of opinion.'

Email Light-of-Aurora
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-07-22 17:20   
And I remember the outcome of the topic was "No, it's staying".

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-23 12:12   
Why is it staying? What is it used for? besides enemys counting how many ships are in a system or tracking a ship. I will go with whatever the admins decide but could you please let us know why this is staying so we aren't so mad that nothing is happening?

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-23 16:15   
which is why you plot a jump thats 2 minutes 15 seconds that way you can log 15 seconds after the jump and in 2 minutes yer gone

Email GothThug {C?}
Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-24 08:16   
Quote:

On 2006-07-23 16:15, Twisted GothThug {C?} wrote:
which is why you plot a jump thats 2 minutes 15 seconds that way you can log 15 seconds after the jump and in 2 minutes yer gone

There's more to it then just tracking someones jump. How about this situtation.

K'luth get a fleet together and jump to DP gate from groom(to reinforce 2 kluth that are already there). Lets say there is 8 of us. We all go through the gate cloaked and undetected. A ugto player pops into observer mod and is now aware there is 8 more k'luth in the system kill are only chance of surprise.

or

UGTO are fighting ICC. UGTO sends one battle crusier and sup near the planets where the ICC are waiting in an attempt to bait them out. One ICC guy goes into observe and see's UGTO's fleet and continues to planet hug instead of attacking curiser.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2006-07-24 14:29   
Only the Sol planets are unique... Anywhere outside of Sol its near impossible to tell where someone is orbitting. So its highly unlikely if you were somewhere other than Sol he located using the Observe mode.

The Observe mode is for people who want to watch rather than play. Many games have it. So I wouldnt hold my breath on it being removed...

Email Tael
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2006-07-24 14:31   
Quote:

On 2006-07-23 16:15, Twisted GothThug {C?} wrote:

Which explains why you dont like interdictors... You cant escape battle and death using your jump and log routine.

Email Tael
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-07-24 14:35   
Quote:

On 2006-07-24 14:29, Tael wrote:
Only the Sol planets are unique... Anywhere outside of Sol its near impossible to tell where someone is orbitting. So its highly unlikely if you were somewhere other than Sol he located using the Observe mode.

The Observe option goes for the system your in. If you've played alot, and have a good memory, you can spot any planet within that system.
Quote:

The Observe mode is for people who want to watch rather than play. Many games have it. So I wouldnt hold my breath on it being removed...

Could just make it to where you can see Friendly Ships/Planets, neutral ships/planets..

Email Supertrooper
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-24 17:35   
What are we observing again? Seriously. what is the observe buttons purpose?

To view our wonderfully high resolution awesome state of the art graphics, right?...

remove observe. it's just being used to spy unfairly on others.

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-07-24 19:27   
Has anyone ever used observe to actually observe the game itself? I mean seriously... DS really isn't a game that you sit back & watch... EVER. Not to mention you get a far better experience using the Camera function...

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2006-07-26 13:11   
Tael, your absolutely wrong.
Finding someone in observe is easy, you look at the object near him, you look at the colors of the stars and where they are located, you look at the closest planets near him to identify the cluster and then the planet, observe can without doubt easily give away anyones location.
I agree with all arguments brought, i believe it should defenitly be removed as it adds nothing. You want to see something? your in the server, spawn an extractor, put someone on camera and you can see a lot more.

Mad Bum
Grand Admiral
ExtraTerrestrial Space Bums

Posted: 2006-07-29 15:43   
If you get a scout and sat under ecm 15k from ANY planet in the mv in ANY system i can find you all i need to know is your in the mv. I will be happy to test this with anyone!
Without observe i only know where you are when you come close to one of my planets.

Joe dirt
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-30 17:44   
well crim if you loged at a planet and someone found ya well its your damn fault, personaly observe is a good way of knowing what and who your fighting agaisnt

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025628 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR