Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Cannon Effectiveness Idea
 Author Cannon Effectiveness Idea
_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-25 10:52   
Alright, this will probably get flamed because I thought of it in one of those morning hazes, but what ever...So here it is.

Everyone knows that there are Railguns, Psi Cannons, and Particle Cannons. From my entire time playing Darkspace (3 years, woot!), I have noticed that there is always only one cannon everyone uses. Back in version 1.480 through 1.482 everyone used Psi Cannons. Now currently in 1.483 everyone uses particle cannons. Now I am sure you have noticed that there is a problem with no one ever using the railgun (from my experience at least) or using a mix of weapons for any reason, leaving the others useless.

My suggestion? Make it so each cannon is more effective vs. different things. These are just rough ideas so please state your personal views about it.

• Railguns more effective vs. UGTO Armour than other cannons
  • Particle Cannons more effective vs. Kluth Armour
  • Psi Cannons more effective vs. Shields

Now I am sure you all found a problem with this or have a better idea about it, so please give some feedback.

~Switch
* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

NeoHermes (vigilance)
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-07-25 11:05   
man, i think i've seeen this before.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will lower you to his level and beat you with experience"- Unknown

Email NeoHermes (vigilance)   Goto the website of NeoHermes (vigilance)
Lux (Polaris)
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2006-07-25 11:18   
Actually, I'd still use all PSIs, if only I could get my hands on some...

It's an idea that's fine with me, Switch.

Loyal Admiral of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation Navy.
Senior Commander of the Raven Warriors, the ICC elite.
Captain of the Assault Dreadnaught \"Gungnir\"

Email Lux (Polaris)
NeoHermes (vigilance)
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-07-25 12:14   
fine with me as well. looks familiar.

-Lobby Spectre - For President

[ This Message was edited by: LobbySpectre on 2006-07-25 12:15 ]

"Never argue with an idiot. He will lower you to his level and beat you with experience"- Unknown

Email NeoHermes (vigilance)   Goto the website of NeoHermes (vigilance)
Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-25 12:46   
I think it's a great idea!

I've never seen it before >.>

But I like the idea

Email Light-of-Aurora
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-07-25 13:05   
No, no, no. This is wrong. You see, all that will acomplish is people going "Lets equip so and so and go to kluth space", which will result in flames, whines, and all sorts.

The trick is in making them so they are balanaced for each race, unfortunatly, they also have to stay true to faction design.

Railguns - Use no energy, but have ammo. Perfect for ICC who need energy for shields.

Particle Cannons - No ammo, medium range, medium damage. Perfect for UGTO, the medium weapon.

PsiCannon - No ammo, highest damage, highest energy use. Perfect for Kluth, trying to get the most damage in few hits.

Psi cannons do more damage until half way through the battle, at which point particle cannons win the rest. The only reason Railguns dont come into it is because they are NOT designed for damage because ICC are a defencive faction.

The only reason everyone uses particle cannons is because of the extra range, and the damage over time. That's all.

In 1.484, all cannons will be locked to their respected factions, so you will be forced to use your faction tech. That way it's easier to balance the game, and people can start flying their faction for what they where DESIGNED for, not what they want it designed for.

Again, faction tech will be LOCKED. You will no longer be able to equip AM torps on an ICC ship. Faustus was toying with the idea that if you pick it up from a ship (randomchance), then you can equip it from cargo, but honesty, I'm quite content with keeping it as faction locked. It's FAR more easier to balance, and we'll see people using ships for what they where designed for.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-07-25 13:07 ]

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-07-25 17:45   
I think the idea of if you loot it you can equip it...

Brings the big time MMORPG feel to this little town, but it will only work if we keep the current modding system and lose that whole "5 hull point respawn" garbage.

The game only works with EZ modding or EZ respawn, not both.

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-25 20:18   
Well I know a ton of people aren't happy with the whole "you can no longer decide what to mod your ship with" idea, since that was one of the best parts of the whole game because it gave you freedom.

~Switch

* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-07-25 20:31   
It also made the game hard to balance, and there where people moding ships for what they where not designed to do, because they where better that way, and in doing so, it breaks the game.

Once we have the basics balanced, we have a platform we can work up from. Add new weapons to each factions. Nothing uber, just different.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-07-25 20:59 ]

Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-26 01:03   
That is understandable, but I am fairly certain many people will leave because of this inability to custom mod ships which DS has allowed for awhile now. You gotta understand that there is a possibility that it might deliver a deadly blow to the community.

~Switch

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-07-26 01:14   
And I believe many more have left because of the inbalances.

We've already had a deadly blow. Or can you not see that?

Opening up the game to moding this much has killed it. They're not restricting moding in 1.484, they're just locking faction tech. You can still switch beams for flux cannons if your UGTO or pulse if your ICC. You can still swap IT's for AR's. You just cant swap P torps for AM torps, or F torps. Or CL's for pulse if your UGTO and such.

This allows the developers to balance the game much, much more. And that is what we need.

We don't need people finding ways to unbalance the game with custom mods.

Think about it. EVERY, SINGLE, FREAKING unfair ship in this game for the past 100 versions has been from moding a ship past what it was supposed to be. It's easier this way, and will allow people to have more fun. If we have to lose 20 people because they stopped cross faction tech, then so be it. I'm sure DarkSpace will regain many more than just 20 when we have a balanced version of the game.

Moding breaks the game. I used to agree that moding = teh shirts. But now, it's become apparent to me that it's caused problems in ever single version since they enabled it.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-07-26 01:17 ]

Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-26 01:28   
Damn...you got me

~Switch

Page created in 0.026665 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR