Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Random Idea to bring arcade feel to admiral (something semi-feaseable!)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Random Idea to bring arcade feel to admiral (something semi-feaseable!)
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-27 21:18   
Now, I had this odd thought in my head.

Ever since I played this game, back in .480, I loved it for one reason: I could easily hop into this game, go into admiral, select a dread, and start fighting ships, and start making a difference in a scenario. That was a lot of fun.

Then this whole shipyard thing came along, and admiral got shafted. Word was the MV was much much more important. and I agree. I like the MV a lot.

But admiral made a lot of people come in. And DS needs people right now. Actually, we need something that EvE does not, otherwise we'll never attract a large number of people. (but tahts a whole nother topic entirely)

so here is my suggestion:

Turn the jumpgates in the admiral servers to shipyards. They also allow you to mod their as well (within the 1k gu safe zone)

Now, to balance this, and prevent people from just spawning dreads like crazy, the jumpgate gets a limit number of resources each tick.

To get more resources, you need to hold more planets (flag planets give you 2x or 3x as much resources).

So, discuss. I think this would help put some arcade into this game, so you don't need to sit around and planet camp to do anything, and maybe attract some people back into this game.

Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-29 11:49   
Well, since no replies were made...

I like the idea

I remember the idea of 'pre-built' maps, which was turned down but I don't remember how...

Email Light-of-Aurora
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-07-29 15:16   
Can't be done.

It also destroys the balance between where Faustus wants this game to go. He wants it to be played in the metaverse, not in a FPS-like server (Admiral). Hopefully, when DarkSpace gets its spacelegs back, we wont need admiral because there will be more action in the MV.

If you want a quick-blast like game, why on EARTH are you playing an MMO? This isn't Quake. Tael and Faustus have said many times, Admiral will never return back to what it was. This game is being designed around the MV now. Shifting the aim of development towards Admiral would not only slow down development for the game that Faustus originaly intended to be, but it would mean the playerbase would be split in half. Some of them would play admiral, some of them would play the MV.

All fleets have had problems in the past with players wanting to play in admiral, and when the fleet needs help, people keep playing in admiral...

It creates more problems.
It takes away development time.
It's not possible to make Jump gates shipyards.

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-07-29 16:53   
and here comes backslash to shoot down another idea with a barrage of arguments.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-07-29 17:05   
I never said I wanted admiral to be the main focus.

but other then that, I think it's time backy gets his gold idea shooting down badge. XD

Alien Mastermind
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-08-06 23:50   
BackSlash (or Faustus) has this one concept stuck in his mind that just wouldn't budge.

Have you considered that this unidirectional doctrine is flawed? Yes, there was the divided fleets problem, but there also were a LOT more players around, many of whom payed the $10 fee, and spread the word of DarkSpace.

Some people don't have the time to sit around and wait for hours until the action starts. I'd even go as far as saying that MOST paying customers are grown, working people that want an hour or two of fun relaxation.

"Well if you want that kind of game then why not go to another game blah blah..." Yeah, that's exactly what has happened with so many people. You're right. Now what?

By the time Faustus gets this game to the way he wants it to be, he will be playing all alone against himself, and a lot of children (some of whom may be lucky enough to get their parents to pay, but most will be demo-ers). Maybe that would be a good excuse to put that cool idea of AI ships into play.

Email Alien Mastermind
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-07 16:02   
I know, back in .480, the most joy I got out of this game was being able to hop into the admiral server, and within minutes, making a difference in a battle, or planning out a defence, or just enjoying the game.

Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-07 20:38   
In order to get a good MV, you need people.

In order to get people, you need a fun game.

Admiral made this game fun.

The MV, is quite frankly, the most boring piece of crap without people. In order for the game to be MV centered, you need people to populate it. 15 people on at once doesn't cut it. Instead of ruining a fine SOP by getting rid of one of Darkspace's pillars (Admiral), you have to make the transition gradual.

As it stands right now, Darkspace's design is ill-equipped to be an MMO. DS has a lot more in common with Freelancer than EvE, in which it plays more as a multiplayer option for a single player oriented game than a true blue MMORPG. DS has the bare minimum it needs to be even considered an MMORPG: its all online, and it has a rudimentary leveling system. It is better designed for fast-paced scenario play, not slow MV play.

I am all in favor of this, and I believe it can be done without making the MV useless. I just think that DS needs a much more gradual paradigm shift. You can't just decide one day "Okay, scenario is officially dead. Go play MV. Don't argue." Why do you think that the game is struggling? That's atrocious business practice.

I would keep DS as a scenario supported game instead of simply dropping it and leave the dreams of an MV oriented game on hold, at least until we have the playerbase to support an actual, fun MV. And when that time comes, to gradually phase out Admiral, not just kill it with one patch.

My $.02

-Axalon

PS: Before anyone comes around and says "NO MEANS NO", this is developer feedback, so anything goes, and if the customers wish it, it would be fiscally wise to consider it.

[ This Message was edited by: Axalon on 2006-08-07 20:49 ]

Email Axalon
_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-07 22:14   
MV would be much better if it were to be Shrunk. Since bombing is going to be very difficult in the next version, a smaller MV may make this game as hectic as it once was (a good thing). Until we can hold a steady playerbase the MV needs to be shrunk down. If this were to happen, I am sure more battles would occur and this discussion for Admiral would be long gone.

~Switch

* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-07 23:20   
Quote:

On 2006-08-07 22:14, _x$witchBladex_ the Not So Brave Knight wrote:
MV would be much better if it were to be Shrunk.
~Switch

the old .480 map triangle map served it's purpose extremely well. maybe change some of the systems around, and we've got us a winner.

Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-08 01:45   
That could work.

Email Axalon
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-08-08 06:19   
Think what you will. DarkSpace IS an MMO, and MMO's are not designed for 'quick action'. It's a fleet game, where you're supposed to work with your fleet to complete objectives (capture planets). That's what purpose the MV serves. You login, and work with your fleet and faction, to conquer the MV.

Admiral detracts from that by effectivly splitting the playerbase. Although some of you want to play Admiral, have you ever considered the posibility that there are more players that don't want too?

Not only that but Faustus has said many-a-time, that he wanted this game to be played with the MV, not a scenario based concept. The only idea that was baught around was to help test the game back in beta stages. It still semi-serves its purpose for that now. But the MV is always the direction Faustus wanted to play.

If you wanted quick play, then you obviously havn't got the right idea about MMO's. They're meant to be slow burning and take time. Not login, shoot some people, get a good score and log out. That's Quake/Counter Strike/any other FPS - Not an MMO.

You also havn't considered the possibility that when 1.484 comes out, more people will return, and more people will start to play, meaning the MV is populated a lot more, and the chances of action are increased.

Don't forget. One of the major original reasons the MV always had no one in it was because everyone was in Admiral. If Admiral had simply just been shut down earlier, everyone would of been in the MV, and we wouldn't be having this concentration.

All Admiral does is detract from the games original purpose. And that's to be a space MMO, set in a persistant universe. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, and we'll see Admiral back and the MV destroyed, sent into the hell and the gates shut behind it. But past actions by Tael and Faustus, not to mention an interview with Faustus a few years ago, suggest that they do indeed want to get rid of Admiral, and concentrate on the Metaverse.

You might want to bare in mind that it's also easier (a lot easier) to design a game based around one core concept of play. Designing it around two is a lot harder, and often leaves to inbalance.

- Jack

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-08-08 06:19 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-08 07:06   
If this is going to be an MMO, we better start adding in things that make it so skill doesn't matter as much!

also backy, what magical things are going to happen to bring new people in for version .484?

"New! Darkspace .484! Trust us this time, this version doesn't suck! Try it out Today!"

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-08-08 07:23   
This has been debated enough times by us players, and most probably the administration too. They've already said (numerious times) what their plans are.

And by the looks of things, you have nothing more to add to this thread. If you want your idea's to be taken seriously, perhaps you should stop making fun of the company that's making the game.

There are numerious plans to put DarkSpace back on track with 1.484. If you dont know what those plans are, I suggest listening to the developers more often when they post here or talk about things in the lobby.

[edit]..

One last thing.

Quote:

I know, back in .480, the most joy I got out of this game was being able to hop into the admiral server, and within minutes, making a difference in a battle, or planning out a defence, or just enjoying the game.

And what if it was made so you could do that in the MV?

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-08-08 07:29 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-08 12:17   
Quote:

On 2006-08-08 07:23, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
This has been debated enough times by us players, and most probably the administration too. They've already said (numerious times) what their plans are.

umm...where?

Quote:

And by the looks of things, you have nothing more to add to this thread. If you want your idea's to be taken seriously, perhaps you should stop making fun of the company that's making the game.

a) take some humor lessons
b) I have the upmost respect for Faustus as a game developer
c) nothing more to add to this thread? maybe we could stop our bickering and...

Quote:

There are numerious plans to put DarkSpace back on track with 1.484. If you dont know what those plans are, I suggest listening to the developers more often when they post here or talk about things in the lobby.

see: Umm...where?

Quote:

[edit]..

One last thing.

Quote:

And what if it was made so you could do that in the MV?

I don't like asking "What if..."s, because all it does is waste time. I have not played this version, maybe I would have liked it. I don't know. All I know is "ROFL ADMIRAL = PHUN! PUT TI BACK IAN!L!LL!ALOWL"

after all, all you see. All I see as well. :;shoots self::

okay okay. so, what if this a slow methodical game where strategy and skill is supposed to be the whole point....thats never happened. battles don't take 30-60 minutes to play out...they take minutes. if we had more people, maybe we could......and we still need more tactical things like issuing commands in the nav map, timed jumps with a fleet, fleet grouping (being implemented I know, I know)...

I'm gonna sound like RedXIII for a moment, but I don't want this game becoming nothing. I love darkspace, I love this community, and I don't want to loose that.

see: umm...where?

edit: some stupidity I did early in the morning

[ This Message was edited by: Fattierob (x2 Alea iacta est) on 2006-08-08 15:27 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023394 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR