Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Please End the use of the bigotted and hateful word, "Whore"
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Please End the use of the bigotted and hateful word, "Whore"
Fatal HI NSA PadmaVajra *XO1*
Chief Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2006-08-24 14:56   
I have politely asked hundreds of times in DS lobby and MV, to have players stop saying, "whore" as it is a violent and offensive word to many women I know including but not limited to, me.

If you cannot realize that this word is a constant violation of ROC and basic human protocol, then allow the definition to beam into your head:

whore  /hɔr, hoʊr or, often, hʊr/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hawr, hohr or, often, hoor] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, whored, whor¡Eing.

¡Vnoun 1. a woman who engages in promiscuous sexual intercourse, usually for money; prostitute; harlot; strumpet.
¡Vverb (used without object) 2. to act as a whore.
3. to consort with whores.
¡Vverb (used with object) 4. Obsolete. to make a whore of; corrupt; debauch.

I am asking the Admins again to deal with the blatant and offensive sexism against your mothers, sisters, and daughters. Moderators you are just as responsible for upholding that principles of no bigotry here.

Thank you,
Most sincere,
Padma

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fatal HI NSA PadmaVajra *XO1*
Chief Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2006-08-24 14:59   
3.1.4 Proper Language

The use of overtly offensive, profane, sexually explicit, or abusive language, outside of any venue where it is explicitly permitted, is forbidden.
This includes any form of communication that is derogatory or obscene, including but not limited to biased comments based on gender, sexuality, age, race, ethnicity, or religion.

PaleStar will strive to maintain an environment for the general audience comprising all Players where such content is minimized.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-24 15:40   
You have my Vote.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-24 15:58   
although I am for not allowing this word to be used so often, I do not believe the word "whore" is used in that context in DS

for instance: MIRV whores. No, they are not making love to the bombs in a prostiute like maner, but instead as "a person who does something over and over, to the dismay of others"

I agree, though, the word shoudn't be used.

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-08-24 16:16   
Unless the usage in question is referring to women, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it - especially when you consider the language that you find in any other game on the internet.

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Moisty {r33}
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-24 16:23   
padmes still here? well, there is some hope left

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-08-24 16:23   
Quote:

On 2006-08-24 14:56, Fatal Capt. PadmaVajra *TO* wrote:
I have politely asked hundreds of times in DS lobby and MV, to have players stop saying, "whore" as it is a violent and offensive word to many women I know including but not limited to, me.

I dont realy see how saying 'lol what a mirv whore' can come across as bigotry to women? It's just saying that the person the term was directed too uses alot of MiRV Bombs Ingame. Not that they sleep with said bomb for an undisclosed ammount of money.

Quote:
¡Vnoun 1. a woman who engages in promiscuous sexual intercourse, usually for money; prostitute; harlot; strumpet.

Now, you need to understand that this is just one of the definitions. If we said 'She's such a whore', then yes, it would brake the RoC.. So far, I havent seen that in the Lobby or Metaverse.

Quote:
I am asking the Admins again to deal with the blatant and offensive sexism against your mothers, sisters, and daughters. Moderators you are just as responsible for upholding that principles of no bigotry here.

I do not see Sexism that often in the Lobby or Darkspace. I try to keep an open mind about that subject, but saying 'mirv whore', 'sup whore', 'build whore' isnt saying anything towards women.

I'm against taking out the word 'Whore' for what it is commonly used for in the Lobby and Metaverse, but take it away if it's constantly used as 'She's Such a Whore!'.

[ This Message was edited by: Crim the Ham and Cheese Sammich on 2006-08-24 16:24 ]

Email Supertrooper
Zepher
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-24 16:35   
i vote crim....

Email Zepher
ForMichael

Posted: 2006-08-24 16:49   
This is too funny.

I'm a MirV whore. I'm not a woman. How is that offensive to women?

Go cry about something else.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-08-24 17:08   
whore (hôr, hr)

3. A person considered as having compromised principles for personal gain.

Although I do not turst most of the DarkSpace community to have consciously made this decision, I'm pretty sure that when anyone uses the word 'whore', they are using it in that way, and not in a way degrading towards women.

Jade
Cadet
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2006-08-24 18:21   
I'm female and I will openly admit to having been a supply whore in 1.480. I agree with what Crim and Coeus said, it's not directed at women or at their character, so really is not degrading to women. For the most part, the males of DS are respectful of women and I have rarely seen any degrading behavior by them towards women. I am more disturbed by some of the attention seeking of the females in the lobby, but that's another topic, so I won't go there.

Email Jade
Jammy Pajamies
Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-24 18:38   
...and yet u just did =)

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2006-08-24 18:45   
If the word was used in a derrogatory manner (specifically implying a woman is whore or hooker or slut, among other things) I could understand the need for this post, however the vast majority of Darkspace players that are guys, are never, ever this rude or disrespectful to a woman in DS.

And note that any person seen to do so tends to find himself out of DS very, very quickly.

However, calling someone a ED/PD whore, Mirv whore, implys that the person continueally and frequently uses those things out of malic, pleasure, or because of the gain of it, which is the ONLY context in which I have ever seen it used in DS.

Im all for womens rights and the like, but the whole 'this offends me' reminds me too many zealots in America, religious folk who have tolerance issues, and in general, people who find anything they dont agree with offensive.

-Ent

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-08-24 19:06   
It's a contextual word. Whore in the days of old was used when calling someone a prostitute. In todays world however, it's rarely used for that. Attention whores, mirv whores, etc whores. I can't see why you would be upset or insulted by someone saying the word. It's not being used to insult women, and I feel you're just being very nitpicky and trying to cause problems.

It's the same as the word rape. When someone implies, "You got raped", they don't mean to say "Hey, I just sexual assaulted you". Same as a "Mirv whore" isn't a "Mirv prostitute". If you're reading that far into it, I think you need to take a sit back and look at what you're playing. The word is used everywhere, not just DarkSpace, and you're going to struggle to find ANY game that bans the usage of the word whore, although as the rules state, calling someone a whore (Not a mirv whore, just 'whore') is intended as an insult (same as calling someone an ass, but you're allowed to say kick-ass and such).

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-08-24 23:07   
i agree with Enterprise, Crimson, and Backslash. the word Whore being used in DS is being used in another context and is not directed to insult women, and Padma if you see it that way you need to take another look at the community of DS. one thing that i hate are Women who go for women's right all the time, and being a total nuisance about it. i am for womens rights of course, but your type, padma, take it to the point where it gets very irritating and does more harm than good.

[ This Message was edited by: leonide*FM*(Battle Dread pilot) on 2006-08-24 23:08 ]

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.028683 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR