Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Please End the use of the bigotted and hateful word, "Whore"
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Please End the use of the bigotted and hateful word, "Whore"
_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-24 23:18   
Quote:

On 2006-08-24 16:16, Coeus [I want 482 back] wrote:
Unless the usage in question is referring to women, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it - especially when you consider the language that you find in any other game on the internet.

And Jade, you rock for that comment. m/8-)

~Switch

[ This Message was edited by: _x$witchBladex_ the Cheese Sammich on 2006-08-24 23:20 ]
* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2006-08-25 01:33   
If you are going to post the definition of a word, please post the FULL entry:
Quote:

Main Entry: 1whore
Pronunciation: 'hor, 'hur
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English hore, from Old English hOre; akin to Old Norse hOra whore, hOrr adulterer, Latin carus dear -- more at CHARITY
1 : a woman who engages in sexual acts for money : PROSTITUTE; also : a promiscuous or immoral woman
2 : a male who engages in sexual acts for money
3 : a venal or unscrupulous person

Other meanings
In colloquial usage, the word "prostitute" is sometimes generalized to mean the selling of one's services for a cause thought to be unworthy, in the sense of "prostituting oneself" or "whoring oneself". In this sense, the services or acts performed are typically not sexual. For instance, in the book, The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield claims that his brother is in Hollywood, prostituting himself. In fact, he is writing screenplays.

If the phrase is being used in a derogitory manner towards someone based on sex then it is a violation of the RoC. If it is being used as the third definition states, an unscrupulous person, its use is fully applicable and allowable under the RoC.

Many words have mulitple meanings and use. Meanings change over time as well, popular culture commonly changes the form and function of many words.

Email Tael
Fatal HI NSA PadmaVajra *XO1*
Chief Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2006-08-25 03:04   
The amount of effort so many of you put in preserving your right to use the word, 'whore' so frivolously ignores one reality here. That you aren't offended at this use, doesn't prevent others from being offended by it.

Your logic is flawed if you think that simply not being offended by it gives right to continue to offend others. Many people don't like the word, "nigger" and others use it flippently, does that suddenly give you a right to say it because you heard Dave Chappelle say it?

Argue as much for your euphamistic language as you wish. The use of the word whore is offensive to many women, even if some chose to laugh at it.

If the mods aren't going to enforce the ROC, then say so.

One among you has already stated that this word is offensive. By profession I help people who have been called Whore, Prostitute, Slut, and more. It is my job to help them come back into a society that has crapped on them.

Its a shame to read comments from so many of you who I enjoy playing this game who so easily argue for your right to use the word, "whore" as you wish is to see you as inconsiderate of real people who are being hurt by this word.

Do as you wish, i have no respect for you if you can't show some respect in return.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TheBumble
Cadet

Posted: 2006-08-25 04:41   
Quote:
If the phrase is being used in a derogitory manner towards someone based on sex then it is a violation of the RoC.
If it is being used as the third definition states, an unscrupulous person, its use is fully applicable and allowable under the RoC.

Many words have mulitple meanings and use. Meanings change over time as well, popular culture commonly changes the form and function of many words.

agreed and seconded

Quote:
The amount of effort so many of you put in preserving your right to use the word, 'whore' so frivolously ignores one reality here. That you aren't offended at this use, doesn't prevent others from being offended by it.

we dont, we just point out, there is - in the "propper context" - no "bad per se" in the usage

Quote:

If the mods aren't going to enforce the ROC, then say so.

they do, and they do it good

Quote:

Do as you wish, i have no respect for you if you can't show some respect in return.

i feel sorry about that, but it seems, i can not change your disrespect
i do dislike the word myself, but that is me and has nothing to do with DS or the ROC of it

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-25 06:58   
It's all a question of semantics, and it's unfortunate that one of the word's meanings offends you. It is important, though, to remember that its useage doesn't equate to bigotry if it's not being used in that context.

Myself, I don't feel strongly either way, only that I'm sorry that you feel this way. I've used the word extremely seldomly (if never at all), and if it were banned from use I wouldn't exactly miss it.

What I'm trying to say is that the people that use it to describe someone's playing habits are not trying to show disrespect towards women, I doubt that notion ever comes into their heads.

_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2006-08-25 10:27   
Quote:

On 2006-08-25 01:33, Tael wrote:

In colloquial usage, the word "prostitute" is sometimes generalized to mean the selling of one's services for a cause thought to be unworthy, in the sense of "prostituting oneself" or "whoring oneself". In this sense, the services or acts performed are typically not sexual. For instance, in the book, The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield claims that his brother is in Hollywood, prostituting himself. In fact, he is writing screenplays.

If the phrase is being used in a derogitory manner towards someone based on sex then it is a violation of the RoC. If it is being used as the third definition states, an unscrupulous person, its use is fully applicable and allowable under the RoC.

* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-08-25 13:21   
I'm sure everyone is sorry that you have to take the word "whore" that way when it's being used... but that's just not how it's meant. Enforcing a new rule based on your complaint would set up a nasty precedent, which this community has only barely avoided doing in the past.

For example, what would happen when another few people came along and said "bastard" or "bitch" distressed them in the same way?

For this reason, it is not possible to restrict the use of a word, no matter what word it is, based on how a small minority of people take it. I understand you care about this issue. I even respect that you're taking a stand for what you believe in.

That doesn't make it right for the staff to change the way people talk when they aren't even trying to offend you.

It's not appropriate to complain because you don't like people using the word's other definitions, or because the word offends you just because it was spoken, or even because it hurts you to see it used at all. As long as you are not being directly harassed by another player, unfortunately, you are not in the staff's domain.

I understand that the word does evoke a personal sense of distress, and I'm sure you have sympathy from many for that... but it was not the speaking of the word that caused the distress. It was your internal interpretation of the word.

And there's nothing the staff can do about that.

Stick and stones...

-Dem

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2006-08-25 13:43   
The administration have already stated the Staff position on this issue.

Although I can understand your viewpoint, continuing this discussion will serve no further purpose.

Topic locked.

Goto the website of Drafell
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.015948 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR