Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » A scenario.
 Author A scenario.
A Troll =SSC=
Cadet

Posted: 2006-10-04 12:03   
Ok.Im gonna try to keep this as simple as possible.What im going to do is start a guide of some sorts for combat in this version.I expect that those who are reading this know how to fly alone decently and can fire their weapons.What i do intend to do is simply try to explain the importance of teamwork by showing some examples and how to deal with a superior force with less numbers.

First off.Lets saw your a pretty decent pilot,fly a Battle Cruiser or even a dreadnought.Pretty efficient in combat when its just one on one or in a group with superior numbers.But lets say one day you log in during a quiet time and then you find out a enemy fleet (ICC for this) is in say um Lalande or some other system.There are about 4 Confirmed Cruisers 2 of them HCs and a Missle Cruiser.1 Combat Dreadnought and another Missle Dreadnought.

You have at your disposal the following (as UGTO).
Yourself (Admiral Rank)
1 VA
1 1st RA
1 Captain Rank Pilot
2 scout pilots (midshipmans unsubbed)

You are attacked during quiet time we will assume your rebuilding a system.You are flying combat at this time (battle dreadnuoght)
Your teammates are spread out everywhere the ones in combat ships are going in alone and getting beat up possibly killed.What do you do.

Before we get on that you have to understand.In this version different class ships can only take on their class or higher.
Your Battle Dreadnought can beat up a cruiser and kill him easy maybe even 2 if close enough but youll be battered with open arcs everywhere.You cannot hit a destroyer frigate or scout worth a crap enough to knock him back while he gets easy hull damage.You are in effect dead unless you escape in this situation.

A Cruiser has more options.While its true you can take on cruisers with Dreads and are more efficient this isnt always the case.When it gets to 300gu and that HC is dodging left and right your PCannons arent so effective unless lower leveled,your torps will be lucky to hit.So basically youu fighters and HCL are all you got.5gu speed difference sucks.

Your cruisers can take on other cruisers at a even advantage and dreads if flown right.In numbers you can take on anything.But again they cant fight destroyers worth a crap (although they actually can hit a dessie unlike your dread)

Destroyers are the ones you will love in this case.Gunboats are pretty balanced Pickets although cheap are evil (not as good as the ICC ED because of strictly armor) and Missle Destroyers can be converted to a torp destroyer.Moving at 25gu they can handle those pesky destroyers,hit cruisers and dreads fast and get out.

Anyway back to the scenario.
3Cruisers 2 Dreads.What are you gonna do.
Well first off.Rally your forces.Pick a spot in deepspace where you can jump where needed without being obstructed by planets or the systems star(s).
Then tell all combat ships to meet up with you.Keep repeating this.

Secondly,find the enemy.Enemy likes to orbit their own planets because of defenses or just to chill.Get to your nav map check the planets by selecting them then zooming in as close as you can.Dreads are easy to see,cruisers and destroyers arent so easy but can be spotted.Frigates are hard as heck to see and so are scouts.

Ok so you found them.They are at planet Demaret.Now organization.
Organize your guys into these categories.
1.Heavy Weapons:Battle Dreadnoughts are a prime example of this as they carry extreme firepower.Heavy Weapons is the wrecking crew they go in beat up everything around them while they can.Heavy Weapons will take lots of damage so go for the ships they weaken for you.
2.General Combat:Cruisers are in this category.They are the main fighters.Also Agincourt and Carrier Dreadnoughts can work here also
3.Fast Attack:Destroyers go here as they can catch up with and harass most enemy ships and are very very nasty.
4:Harassment:Frigates and Scouts.Go for the weakened ships open arcs.Also beacons enemys if they have the equipment.
5.Support:Supply ships fix you up
6.Fire Support:Anything thats primary job is to fight long range.ICC Missle Dreadnought fits perfectly here
Now.Anyone whose not in combat should switch immeditely.VAs and Below should be in Cruisers unless said pilot is a VA and prefer agincourt or Carrier dreads.Then let them fly that.

Another note before we move on.The Psychological aspect of this game is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.Your opponent is Human so are you and your team.They can be demoralized into logging,bored into logging,angered to fight suicidally,etc.Keep this in mind.

Now you rallied your force.You have 1 Battle Dreadnought 2 Battle Cruisers,a missle destroyer with torps and 2 frigate pilots.
Up against 3 Cruisers and 2 Dreadnoughts.
Heavy Weapons.Is gonna be pissed to say the least.Ok This is where coordination and skill come into play

You want to hit together as a fleet and coordinate tightly.Before you go in have a CF (Combined Fire) Target set.We will go for the dreads first as they are the slowest and heaviest concentration of fire.Ofcourse you need someone to clear your tail.The position of the enemy near the planet is Dreads in orbit the cruisers too.Send frigates to attack the cruisers and try to lure em away from the dreadnoughts.Bored players tend to get aggressive quick so they should take the bait.Even if they dont be ready to go in 2-10 minutes.
1st Scenario.Cruisers took the bait
Dreads are wide open HW and GC will hit the dreads FA will assist with H against the cruisers.Once the dreads are fought off or killed.About face and hit the cruisers.Then fallback to a friendly cluster or to deepspace and repair.

Depending of the skill of the players on your side you may be able to take on more than your number and fight on battered.However keep in mind sometimes it is wise to retire to fight another day.If you dont have the firepower or your ships are too battered FALL BACK IMMEDIETEALLY.Jump at least 70k-100k gu.Take your time jumping if you panic or EJump you will most likely be tracked and you wont beable to charge your JD for a 2nd jump.So make the first one count.

2nd Scenario Cruisers ignored your frigates.
Ok now you have to face the enemy head on.All at once.You are not going to beat them all so your job here is to cause as much damage with less.I would advise normally not to engage and wait for reinforcements but if you have to engage this is how (in my eyes) you should do so.

Have your guys form up on you except for the destroyer.He hangs back and comes in later.Jump in together stay close to support eachother.You will simply put jump close to one of the cruisers and make him the target of your first alpha strike.If you do it right youll be like right on top of him and he should die quite easily.Thats splash one 4 to go.At this point and depending on the situation you may want to call in the destroyer if you got the enemy on one front.If your being tailed by the cruisers that destroyer coming in behind them would be perfect.Again stay on your designated CF.As leader you decide whats the biggest threat although id personally go for the closest ships for more kills its up to you.

Thats a example of a situation you might be in during the MV.Now we will discuss leadership.
What is a leader?
A leader in my eyes is someone who steps up to the plate when no one else will,when everyone is disoriented and confused he brings order and clarity to the table.

Are you a leader?
It depends.Some people try to wield power but dont know how to use it or do it just to get off.If you have a high rank ingame that does not make you a leader.That just makes you a guy with a big ship.

Should I try to lead?
Take a look around you.Dont worry about who in DS history is the best letter just at that place and time who is the better person for the job.If thats someone else offer them your support and do your duty to the best of your ability.If there is no one else step up to the plate and give it your best shot.

Combat Tips
Im gonna go over some things that helped me ingame from my experience as a pilot.There are other guides for this on the link coeus provided but maybe I can provide something to add to those guides or restate something mentioned there more clearly.We'll see.

1.Use what you feel you fight best in.If you feel your a unstoppable killing machine in a frigate but feel slow and unwieldy in a dreadnought or cruiser then use that frigate.If you like agincourts to a Battle Dread and find you do better in it use it.Because really how well you know your ship affects your combat potential greatly.Ill take a elite frigate pilot to a n00b BD pilot anyday of the week.

2.Adapt to the situation at hand.If its destroyers get a dessie or frig,if its big ships and cruisers bring your deadliest ship.If you need to bomb get a bomber and try to sneak in a attack when the enemy is engaged.

3.EVADE EVADE EVADE!!!Cannot stress this enough if your not at least turning a little during the fight to evade you are causing yourself unnecessary damage.Even in a dread you can evade torps and some cannon fire.

4.Communication:If your force is highly coordinated you will cause so much more damage then if your all acting as lone wolves.If you can get on TS and coordinate then thats wonderful but if not try to call out basic info like "Target Defiant" "Cover me." "Cruiser at my six" "I need support" etc.

5.PsyWarfare:Your performance in the battlefield and that of your friends will affect the enemy.If you stomp them in every engagement they will get tired of it and log.Thats how you win against the enemy.They can always comeback but its whether they want to that counts.Dont forget this goes for your guys too.If they winning they'll stick around longer and maybe play better.If they are disappointed or pissed things wont be so good.

6.DICTORS:Kill on site if theres a dictor drop what your doing kill him.If you have to you can divert some firepower to taking care of trailers and people attacking you but if your not tied up go for him.If your using a dictor have him at range and dont let the enemy get close enough to him to cause damage

7.Slow the frak down:Ever seen topgun.What did Maverick do when the mig was at his six.He hit the brakes and the enemy flew right by.This can work in DS to some extent.If you slowdown with a faster enemy at your tail he may not realize what your doing till its too late and he cant slowdown fast enough.Turning might also be a good think to while your doing this.Experience players might be able to catch this but not always.

8.Use your armor to its full extent:Let the enemy only hit one arc with weapons fire preferably sides.When one arc goes out or is close to it turn to redirect the enemy fire to a stronger arc at the end of the battle if you did it right you will be in red all around if its hard fought but youll be alive.And they'll most likely be gone or dead.

9.Retreat when you cant fight anymore:If your busted up get the heck out of there.Dont fight to the death for no reason its not worth it.

Bombing tips
1.run silent.This means equip ECM on every avalible slot and unless you got uber ECM cover this also means shutting off your engines also.
2.Stay on target.Do not break off of your run stay on target unless someone rams your bombs or when your ready to break off.
3.Everytime you bomb try breaking off closer and closer to the planet.Get good at it youll be missing the planet by inches and having extremely succesful runs.
4.Supply equals life.Make sure you bring one with you on the run.
5.When carrier bombing make sure you jump about say 2k gu ahead of your fighters and stack em if you can.You can do a bit less than that but till you get the hang of it 2k per jump is the way to go.
6.Use what best suits the situation.If your trying to capture a system go neuts or worst case bios.If it absolutely positively must die the first time.Carrier Bomb it if you can if not close up Mirv strike.

*work in progress ill add more as i think it up

[ This Message was edited by: Cobra 1-1 =SSC= on 2006-10-05 18:19 ]

Email A Troll =SSC=
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-10-04 16:24   
www.ravenwarriors.com/ds -> Guides.

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
A Troll =SSC=
Cadet

Posted: 2006-10-05 11:21   
Yeah but i dont see anything for advanced combat or tactics.Which is why im doing this anyway im back at the comp let me see if i can finish this.Then feel free to add comments,notes,etc.

Email A Troll =SSC=
$wiss
Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-05 14:04   
My eyes are bleeding!u

Page created in 0.008680 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR