No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Thought Experiment
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Thought Experiment
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-10-19 17:25   
In talking about blackholes & gravity, think about a trampoline as space. Place a tennis ball on it, and the trampoline absorbs it a tiny bit - that is the moon. Place a baseball on it, and the baseball sinks a little deeper into the trampoline.

Now put a basketball on the trampoline, and it sinks in a lot more - that is the Sun. Now put a bowling ball on the trampoline, and it really sinks deep, and the entire trampoline is now bending towards the impression made by the ball. That is a black hole. It is so dense and has so much mass that its gravity can even suck in light it is so intense. That is the only way we can "see" a black hole is from the light that is swirling around it getting sucked down.

(w00t! Everything I ever needed to know about Black Holes & Space/Time I learned from SG1!)

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2006-10-19 18:13   
Quote:

On 2006-10-19 14:46, !Lono! {King without a Crown} wrote:
I have a question

It was said by Albert Einstien that theres nothing faster then the speed of light. If thats true we are doomed to stay near this solar system for a very very very long time unless we figure out how to deep freeze our butts and sleep to our destination. Thats to say we invent a spacecraft with a prupulsion system that can reach light speed.

Anyway what im trying to say is..if theres nothing faster then light..then how does a blackhole pull light in and prevents it from escapeing? wouldnt that force be faster then light? although be it in the opposite direction.

Think about it. a blackhole must be moving in some direction to trap light. So if its moving, doesnt that constitute it being faster then light?

Who knows maybe one day we will figure out a way to harness the power of a blackhole and reach faster then light speeds and if we do..u seen the seeds here first lol.

actually that might work with the way space and time bends around a black hole. It is possible that with the proper technology and equipment, u could essentially 'bend' space and time around u, thus creating a wormhole to any point in the universe. Stargate all over again

Ship-Of-Fools
2nd Rear Admiral
Angry Mob

Posted: 2006-10-20 09:35   
i like my answer better, so nah

Diomed
Cadet

Posted: 2006-10-20 13:54   
Thinking about black holes this way might make it a little easier to understand.

F = the force pulling any two objects
G = the number 667 divided by the number 100 billion
[m1] = the mass (quantity of matter) of one object
[m2] = the mass (quantity of matter) of a second object
d = the distance between the centers of two objects

The gravitational force between them can be expressed by the following equation (I apologive if it looks messy--hard to post equations)

F = G ([m1][m2] / d^2)

(d^2 in the equation should be read as " d squared")

Since G is such a small number, if you and I are standing 10 meters apart, one of us weights 54 kg and the other weighs 63 kg, the force that pulls us to each other is:

F = G ((54 x 63) / (10 x 10)) = 34 x G

G in this case is so small as to not even be noticed by either of us. On the other hand, when one of the bodies is the Earth, the force is much more substantial. (Actually, it's your weight.) That's exactly why you would weigh less on the moon--the moon's mass is much less than the Earth's.

When the distance between two objects decreases, the pull between them rapidly increases. If in the previous example we had been standing 5 meters apart, the gravity would have been 4 times stronger (136 x G).

To escape a planet or star, an object must possess escape velocity--it must move fast enough away from the gravitational well to overcome the gravitational pull of the planet or star. According to current physical theory, the maximum attainable speed in the universe is the speed of light--nothing can move faster than light.

If the gravitational pull of a star is exceedingly high, the escape velocity should theoretically exceed the speed of light. Since no object can move faster than the speed of light, nothing--including light--could leave such a star.

As to your original question, consider the following:

If two objects, both travelling at 3/4 the speed of light, passed each other travelling in opposite directions, you would think that they would appear to each other to be travelling faster than light (since two cars passing each other at 55 MPH appear to each other to be travelling at 110 MPH). However, they do NOT appear to travel faster than light.

[ This Message was edited by: Diomed on 2006-10-20 13:55 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-10-20 16:45   
Lets say the speed of light is 100 mph.

Lets say the two objects are moving at 75mph in the opposite direction of each other.

Because neither of them reach the speed of light (100 mph), they can both see each other, even if they are travening in the opposite direction, and eve if 'seems' that the other car is going 150 mph.

Since neither of them reaches the speed of light, they can see each other - no matter how long for.

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-20 17:26   
Went back and updated my old post. The answer is actually very simple, if you don't want to read my old post here it is, ready for this?

Man(A) seems to move at C(+-)x (x=Walking Speed) from Man(B)'s perspective.

Simple eh? Seems like something you don't even need physics for, just common sense eh? A simplified version of my reasoning is that, since the light from Man(A) always travels at C, and the light from the ship always travels at C, and Man(A)'s position is changing within the ship at Walking Speed x, then Man(A)'s 'transmission point' for the light being used to see him will move at speed x. The light won't move any faster than C, but each subsequent photon will start a little closer to Man(B) and therefore take a little less time. It's kinda like the doppler effect.

You know, that explanation is better than my old post's one...so there's no need to go back to my old post...

Powered by Stormtroopers and Red Shirts

Rhiawhyn Zerinth
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-10-20 17:43   
. . . ow my brain hurts

anyway we would learn about subspace before we learn to bend space iteself so in otherwords unles something like the sg program is true we wont see anything remotely close to that in our lifetimes.

so enjoy the ds jumping speed, your never gona see anything like it in real life

Olbaid
Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-20 18:58   
i am thinking man (A) is not walking toward the front of the ship, but instead, he is plastered to the back wall of the ship and his face peeling back off of his skull.
lol

anything traveling at the speed of light expands rapidly, and i don't see anything "Solid" reforming back to it's original state.

((...If Knowledge is Power...

...and Power Corrupts...

...Study hard and be Evil...))

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-20 19:23   
Man(A)'s not gonna be plastered (pun totally intended) unless the ship is accelerating. Since this thought experiment assumed the ship was already moving at C then Man(A) doesn't feel any different than if he was sitting in a chair on, say, a planet rotating at a little more than the speed of sound and orbitting at a high velocity a star which is also orbitting at a high velocity the center of a galaxy...etc. Velocity is irrellivent to being thrown back, it's acceleration that matters

And as for the expansion, I think you mean contraction, as objects moving closer to the speed of light actually contract proof!. And the solid will reform to it's original state, since, from it's point of view, nothing has changed.

As for subspace etc., who says subspace is real? I, for one, neither believe in it nor believe it is neccessary, unless we're talking about two different subspaces...

EDIT: Again, disclaimer, this is all based on my current knowledge of physics. All statements are said with the understanding that they'll be taken as from my point of view and not neccessarily true. May cause insomnia and extreme boredom. Take 1 every 3 hours.

[ This Message was edited by: Binks on 2006-10-20 20:06 ]