No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Thought Experiment
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author Thought Experiment
Rhiawhyn Zerinth
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-10-22 14:54   
all i can see is if we do hit ftl about 5min later (to us) we will smack a planet of some kind, think ds only you cant stop yourself. can you say explodyboom

Ship-Of-Fools
2nd Rear Admiral
Angry Mob

Posted: 2006-10-22 16:16   
space is bigger than u think, I think our galaxy is 100 thousand light years across, and the nearest star, is proxima centuri (someone correct me if I am wrong) it is aprox 4 light years away, so in our spirel arm of the galaxy, room is not a problem, although I have read that it is much more crowded in the core,

I also remember reading about the Voyager probe, how after its last flyby, was aimed at the nearest star to Sol, and was expected to take like 20 thousand years to get there, ( or 10,000 to clear the ort(SP) cloud, and 10,000 more to reach the gravitational effects of the nearest star (that one I mentioned before)

I know someone will pick all this apart, as I am going from stuff I learned in grade school, and that was a while back

but if I am even close it gives a hint at the vastness of space

ohh I am calculating a lightyear as 186K

so thats 186k*60 seconds in a min

*60 mins in an hour

*24 hours in a day*

*365 days in a year

I have that figured as 5.865696 × 10to the 12th power

went off on a tangent didnt I?

Rhiawhyn Zerinth
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2006-10-22 18:08   
heres the thing tho if you are moving at the speed of light then that whole time thingy pops into play and to you it seems like only 5-10min or days were as 5-10 min/day could be about 5 to 10 years normal time

Ship-Of-Fools
2nd Rear Admiral
Angry Mob

Posted: 2006-10-22 21:54   
errr

if I got into a ship, and aimed at a star 10 light years away,

once I had excelerated to light speed, every person on the ship would experience 10 years of subjective time, aging, wrinkles and all, while the rest of the universe experienced some multiple of that, for example 50 years, I am unsure how this could be computed, as its still just a theory, and cannot at this time be tested(but I am sure someone can, i am a dropout, and not allowed to take the cork off my fork yet, so I will not even pretend I can)

I am not sure where your getting mins or days

the 10 year figure is assuming there is no exceleration time, which would probably take longer than the trip ( as without a perfect inertia sink (or compensater) the ship would only be able to accelerate at a safe speed, say one Gee, which would make it comfortable to live on the ship for people.

the obvious problem is that the ship would have to be HUGE, u would need food, water, for 10 (plus excelleration time)years, mostly fuel to have constant acceleration, and you eventually reach a point of diminished returns,

at this time, intersteller travel is not realistic, because of the time constrains

sci-fi has suggested answers, such as cryo, ark ships, and arkships that use bussard scoops, sometimes referred to as slowboats (bear in mind that these are scifi writers

going back to the original topic,I dont think a ship can excellerate to light speed in realitivistic space, we need a loophole...like subspace, or warp, or wormholes, at which point the question of man "A" becomes irrevelent, as then we would have to first figure out how fast the ship was moving in "hyperspace" to calculate how fast he is moving including his walking speed

I always like the old idea of the ship that stayed in place, and using technology, and a "greater" understanding of field theory, moved the universe

tangent again, sorry

Capt.picard
Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-23 14:06   
a ship that was simply travelling at the speed of light (no warp drives, wormholes, hyperdrives, etc.) would experiance no time, will try to explain how.

imagine a light clock, a photon of light bouncing back and forth between two mirrors a set distance appart. this photon is travelling at the speed of light, if i then moved this clock from side to side the path the photon would have to take would be longer, and since the photon can only travel at the speed of light it would appear (to an out side obeserver) that the clock is slowing down. if a ship had this light clock on it and was traveling at the speed of light the photon would appear to stop as it cannot travel up or down to bounce of the mirrors because (not a scientific way of putting it but i hope it gets the idea across) all of its speed would be "used up" moving along with the ship. this is all from the point of an out side observer watching the ship, if you where sitting at a window on that ship the universe would apear to be moving through time at an infinate velocity. Travelling at the speed of light would not be a good idea for many reasons, but the fact that would would be at the end of the universe the instant you reach the speed of light is probably the best one...

appologies for any gramma or spelling mistakes i didn't pick up, hope this helps.

proud commander of the Extractor "Tribble barge"

Ship-Of-Fools
2nd Rear Admiral
Angry Mob

Posted: 2006-10-23 20:24   
picard, I am very interested in this "light clock" I think it is an interesting concept, almost sounds like a laser, with a stop watch lol

I am not making fun

you have raised an interesting Idea, say a "light clock device" was present on a light sped ship? even if it a "slowboat"

or a ship with "fold" ability

food for thought

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-23 20:42   
Interesting concept with the light clock, however there is one error in your statements, any observers will still see the photon as travelling at C.

As a ship with a light clock approached C the observers aboard the ship would see the light moving at the speed of light, not because it's actually moving any differently but because time slows in such a way that the slight difference in speed between C and the ship's speed becomes proportional to the time dialation, basicly time slows down just enough to make the slight difference in speed between the photon and the ship seem like the speed of light.

As for outside observers, they see the light moving at C as well, and the ship as moving almost as fast as the light. So you are correct in that all the light's velocity is "used up" travelling along with the ship, but since it's still moving at C it's still percieved to move at C

When the ship actually reaches C time stops for those aboard, because the passage of time is actually dependent on the light ray appearing to travel at C to those aboard.

Basicly, in a vacuum, the passage of time can be seen as a property of the light moving back and forth at an observed rate C. So time passes fast enough so that light seems to move at C, and as you approach C time slows so that light still seems to travel at C.

So if you reach C time stops for you, because if time passed you would see the photon as moving at >C.

Of course that's only true if our current understanding of physics is correct, which is likely isn't because we haven't even scratched the surface of travelling at near-C velocities.

Basicly trying an alternate explanation to see if it's easier to grasp, you are 99% correct, however, picard. And the light clock is a very interesting concept, I'd never really thought of it that way before...