Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Was it Lag or is it a bug doing it?!?
 Author Was it Lag or is it a bug doing it?!?
[2006] - Codex09
Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-19 07:00   

Well about 15 minutes or so ago I decided that I would give the K'luth faction a go for a few days so I grabbed a mandy and fully upgraded it but only changed the jump drive to a AM JD and I put 2 ecm's on it and an extra 2 PSI cannons, oh and 1 beacon.

Anyway I decided that I would log the ship so I could spawn it in another system without having to go through a heap of jump gates.

Anyway after logging the ship I log back into the game and spawn the ship in the Prycon system (not sure if that is spelt right), and I made a jump by using the "O"rbit option from whatever planet the SY is on to Prycon 10, well the ship got to prycon 10 stopped in orbit and then once again it exploded and I got a msg from the server saying that I had run into the planet.

Well my guess is a mandi with the mods to what I had them is worth about 300 or so pres and in that split second I lost both the ship and the pres, I am not even going to bother puting in a comp request because as far s I know my last one hasn't even been looked at yet.

I guess now I know this has happened to at least 2 or 3 people in the last week or so, it might be more people who knows.

Now I dont go out mirving to get pres fast in fact that 300 or so pres took me a lot of building in Sol the othr day to get only to have it all taken away due to some bug or lag or whatever it is that is causing this to happen to people

There is another thing that is happening when I play this game that I know for sure is only happening when I play this game and that is being cut off, I have this problem at least 2 times every time I play this game and never when I play other games. This has only started happening over the last couple of weeks and it has also cost me a ship or 2.

I can sort of understand why nothing is being done about anything because I guess I would also start giving up if the game I was working with was starting to go as bad as this game seems to be (average daily player base 19 - 21, we will be generous and make it 40 or even 50 which will allow or those who come to the lobby to chat ) compare this to some of the other games now doing the rounds and it doesn't look very good at all. (eg. 2nd Life Daily Player Base Average 8500 - 8750 )

I personally think this game has a lot of possibilities but it seems to me and a few other that Faustus has just given up on it and is now just riding it out until the time comes when the paying players gets down so low that it just isn't worth turning the servers on any more. I am really hoping that I am completely wrong and that something happens in the next few weeks and the player base jumps back into life again.

With all of this in mind I am wondering whether I should invest my $49 to re-sub when my sub runs out in early December or whether I should hold onto my money until either the game is fixed or I find another game that has the support and the player base, and that I enjoy playing of course.

Anyway enough for now and once again hopefully things will get better before they get worse and cost the game the whole player base.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-10-19 07:32   
The server rarely disconnects anyone, so I would check your connection to the servers by running a tracert first.

Secondly, never use orbit unless you are already close, and under 4gu (the instant orbit speed). This will improve your piloting skills, and will teach you not to reply on the AI to move your ship for you (because it is basic at best).

You experienced something called de-sync when you entered the orbit of the planet - this typicaly happens when there are too many objects in system for the server to handle, and so typicaly mis-places you. The only cure for this is to lower the number of objects (there are many in the DS universe), which we are working to do in 1.484. I would recommend not jumping to planets directly if you see someone trying to bomb the planet or many people fighting around it. Lowering your focus range can help this slightly (/focus 1000).

The reason this game has few players is that the development team doesn't really get paid for what they do, and so have no real incentive other than the wellfare of this game, to work on it. DarkSpace also doesn't pull in enough revenue for Faustus to souly work on this game and support his family off it, hence he needs to work for other companies to bring the money in. But he does work on DarkSpace, we use something called Tortoise SVN to grab our work off each other, and lock out items so that other people can't work on the same thing, anyways, I recieved an update from Faustus on Monday, say he's not ignoring DarkSpace, and me and Drafell are working hard on thinking up ways to balance the game and move it forward (instead of backwards).

This is the worst storm we've had to endure in DarkSpace by far - but don't abandone it yet. If you're angered by the game, don't play it or unsubscribe until the new patch is out. We're already aware of the issues and problems with the lag and such, and are working to fix that - starports no longer contain items or components, and factories no longer build items, aswell as removing the resourcers on planets and giving them a generic value so the server doesn't need to track them all. Faustus is also working on a TCP/UDP hybrid backend, that will use a mixture of both so that navigation and actions are sperate, and work via different protocols. Basicly, the movement packets are sent to the server via UDP - if it doesn't recieve the packet or the packet has an error, it ignores it and gets the next, so you might see more flickering in the metaverse, but a lot less of this 'I think I'm here, but I'm actually there' problem (or rather - should).

Hope this awnsers some of your questions and doubts.

- Jack

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-10-19 07:33 ]

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2006-10-19 07:36   
Quote:

I personally think this game has a lot of possibilities but it seems to me and a few other that Faustus has just given up on it and is now just riding it out until the time comes when the paying players gets down so low that it just isn't worth turning the servers on any more. I am really hoping that I am completely wrong and that something happens in the next few weeks and the player base jumps back into life again.

This is certainly NOT true. Just because you cannot see thing happening does not mean they aren't getting done.
Faustus is currently working on implementing the UDP netcode in beta.
There have been several new source code revisions and updates within the past week.

As for your other issues... using the 'O'rbit key should be relatively safe. The problem might be caused by your connection not quite being in sync with the zone if you jump immediately after you spawn. I would recommend waiting about 30 secs to 1 minute when spawning for the first time in MV, before you do anything.

As for the connection dropouts, it is very unlikley that this is due to the DS servers or the Palestar ISP. It is possible that there is a temporary issue with your connection routing to DS. There might be a backbone server somewhere between your location and the DS servers that is playing up.

The following link isn't always reliable, but it does give a fair indication of the status of internet traffic worldwide, and of any major router outages.
http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm

Goto the website of Drafell
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-10-19 10:17   
i wish the rest of the forums looked like this thread..
(the coherent, proper useage of punctuation and paragraphs, well reasoned posts and replies aspect, not the omg lag, where's everyone, why's nothing getting done parts)

//routine failure

[2006] - Codex09
Admiral

Posted: 2006-10-19 20:20   

First of all I would like to thank ll three of you for the information you have given me in your replies to my post (which I thought may have been too big).

Anyway just as a quick reply , yes I always wait after spawning fo at least 1 minute so that I can see who is online or at least in the game on the faction I am on.

I have always used the "O"rbit function to jump to planets as I have always been concerned that if I was to approach the planet in a jump then use the orbit function someting may happen before I could hit the "O" key and my ship would do a nose dive into the planet.

Ummm the drop outs as I said are only happening with DS and I am going to have a very close look at that web site drafell gave me (it looks very interesting from a quick first glance).

Anyway once again thank you for your very quick replies, and it was actually a relief to not receive a heap of replies that had absolutely nothing to do with what my initial message. ;P

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-10-20 05:03   
A quick tip:

Manually plot a jump past the planet (about 50 gu past the side), jump to that spot (obviously vary the distance based on speed), and orbit the planet when you escape from the jump. This will avoid smacking into the side of it.

We also got a nice little (ok - not so little) update lastnight from Faustus. He most deffinatly is working on the game... With the notice... "Work in progress..." .

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2006-10-20 05:19 ]

Page created in 0.010281 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR