No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » New here
 Author New here
LizardFolk
Cadet

Posted: 2006-12-12 01:09   
Hello, I'm lizard.

Some of you may have seen me poke in on the lobby. At first I was LizardWatcher, but a friend wanted that name so now I'm LizardFolk.

I'm curious, would it be possible for DarkSpace to be supported by Xfire and have Xfire devs post advertisements for this game? That'll cover a lot of publicity.

Main Site: www.xfire.com

Oh I also have a few problems. At the spectator (observer) screen I cant seem to find anything besides planets and many buttons didnt work (i.e. I clicked battle but nothing happened). Is this me or is this a ingame problem?

Email LizardFolk
JackCrackerMan
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-12-12 01:30   
that is a GREAT idea. This game really needs some publicity.

Email JackCrackerMan
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-12-12 10:30   
Observer mode is goofy - and most of the buttons there are for adjusting how the camera behaves when you zoom in on an object. You probably kept getting planets & not ships because with 20 or 30 people in the Metaverse and hundreds of planets... not the best odds

Best bet is to hop on a faction (ICC, UGTO, K'Luth) and join in the insanity! Try it first on the Newbie server to get a feel for the game (and READ THE MANUAL! Click the big bold link over on the left there:
<<<--------
it literally, corectly, and COMPLETELY answers 99% of the questions that new folks tend to have).

Welcome, lizzard peoples!

Edit: And someone had said there was a way to manually input DS into XFire but I don't remember who or how.

[ This Message was edited by: Coeus the Drunken Elf on 2006-12-12 10:30 ]

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-12-12 10:38   
there are a couple threads in the xfire forums for getting darkspace support added. hasnt happened yet. you can force xfire to detect darkspace, however it will only last till the next xfire games list update, you'll have to re-add it then.

add to xfire_games.ini, change the 9999 to the next number after the last one listed

[9999]
Longname=DarkSpace
ShortName=DarkSpace
LauncherDirKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPalestarDarkSpacePATH
LauncherEXE=GCQL.exe
DetectExe=Client.exe
Launch=%UA_LAUNCHER_EXE_PATH% %UA_LAUNCHER_NETWORK_ARGS%

as for the observer mode, it tends to work only for the system you're in, which is fine for scenario servers, but in the mv it likes to "lock" to the system you spawn in. battle will work tho, if theres something going on in the zone.

LizardFolk
Cadet

Posted: 2006-12-12 23:03   
Thxs for the welcome guys

I'd like to make DarkSpace officially supported and have them advertise the game on their site. We should have the devs of DS talk to the devs of Xfire.

Oh one more question. I understand the controls and what to do, but I'm not sure how to play. What i mean is I cant find where the action is or what it is i'm suppose to do.

Email LizardFolk
Hawk™
Cadet

Posted: 2006-12-12 23:54   
Darkspace Manual.

Email Hawk™
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-12-13 21:01   
DS is very open ended with a very steap learning curve - it doesn't have a "Learn as you go" type game play like HL or something, but rather learn as you die inspired by the School of Hard Knocks.

As for finding the action - there are three things to that.

1) Look at the Nav Map - which is what is displayed before you select a ship, and after you're in your ship & hit F2. You can zoom with Z & X and move around the navmap view by clicking your mouse (ctrl+click to create a manual point to center your camera on. Read the manual for specifics).

2) Ask someone. You've got a 50/50 chance of actually getting an answer because once in game & involved in combat or something most people are either A) Too busy to talk or B) feel that you should just look at the navmap & figure it out.

3) There is no action. Happens more often than you'd think & more often than we'd like to admit... but *shrug*

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
LizardFolk
Cadet

Posted: 2006-12-17 19:04   
I would expect that there would be a notice if an attack (or "action") is occuring. Which is why I asked but thanks anyway

Email LizardFolk
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2006-12-17 19:11   
I've emailed Xfire meself about seeing if they could get Darkspace supported, but no responce..

Email Supertrooper
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2006-12-17 19:16   
Hi LizardFolk. As a developer of DarkSpace, I have already tried to get support for DS in Xfire, but they don't pay attention too often. It's mostly just hype that generates a list for Xfire, ie, if a known game is coming out, they'll add it, regardless if a development team ask for it to be added, or not. You actually have to request to not be on it, if you do not want your game on there.

Anyway, some of us tried, unfortunatly, we have had no luck yet. There is also no specific way to launch DarkSpace from command line, unless you know exactly what you're doing, and know where to find your session ID, which changes each time, and there is no way to grab it with Xfire, and making it easily accessable would mean a patch (and they're hardly in large supply these days ).

Enjoy your stay in DarkSpace.

Page created in 0.014052 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR