No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » HDTV
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author HDTV
Jammy Pajamies
Admiral

Posted: 2006-12-31 16:23   
Good news:I just got a new HDTV.

Bad news:its probably more fn to toy around with it than to play DS =P

Ship-Of-Fools
2nd Rear Admiral
Angry Mob

Posted: 2006-12-31 17:27   
solution, connect your puter and your new HDTV

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-12-31 18:04   
SoF4tw!

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Jammy Pajamies
Admiral

Posted: 2006-12-31 18:09   
i dont think my parents will let me,but o well

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-12-31 18:12   
Beg borrow steal plead bribe threaten your way to victory boy! Get MOTIVATED!

/hes screwed

Dark Slinki
Cadet

Posted: 2006-12-31 19:32   
Most modern vid cards have connections for HD...

As a certified HDTV installer you should know a few things....

The connections you want to, or don't want to use, from the worst to best on your HDTV are as follows...

Coax Cable - This is the worst you can use BUT does the trick in a pinch. Use RG-6/U with the best sweep test there is (3.0 GHZ is the best on the market currently). It will NOT allow you to see HD programming.

RCA Cables - Slightly better that Coax but still will not allow you to see HD programming. If all you can use is RCA then this is the best for it. *Note:* If you can use a S-Video cable then use that in place of the Yellow RCA cable. This will give the best NON-HD picture you can get.

Now on to the HD capable cables...

Component Cables - These are the video equivilant of RCA cables. They look just like RCA cables but are thicker and only carry video. They carry the 3 primary colors to the HDTV but you need seperate cables for sound.

DVI - Also known as Digital Visual Interface, carries digital video from the source to the HDTV. It's draw back is it doesn't carry sound so you have to use another cable(s) for sound.

HDMI - Also known as High-Definition Multimedia Interface, it is the best possible cable to use with HDTV equiptment. It carries both digital video and digital audio.

Just some info for you to know about your new HDTV.

Enjoy...

Standard Def is like Night to High Def is Day!

[ This Message was edited by: Dark Slinki on 2006-12-31 20:54 ]

Goto the website of Dark Slinki
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2006-12-31 19:35   
I like night time...

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2006-12-31 20:59   
A Standard PC monitor will always be of superior picture resolution to any HDTV set.

Goto the website of Drafell
Ship-Of-Fools
2nd Rear Admiral
Angry Mob

Posted: 2007-01-01 05:52   
cant u split the signal? so u have a big one, but when u need detail u have the monitor? that might make everyone happy, cause u disconnect the HD when they need it

Drow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-01 07:44   
Just a FYI, coax cable carries HP programming if its available from your source, being cable company, satalite or a HD antenna.

With satalite obviously you need a reciever. With Cable company, it depends if there scrambeling it. There is a item called a Cable Card that will authorize a television to recieve Digital channels including HD, this requires the TV to have a HD tuner. And of course if your close enough, a HD antenna, also requires a HD tuner in your TV.

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2007-01-01 10:52   
Well as a DirectTV installer our HD receivers are incapable of having a Coax Cable hooked to the receiver to HDTV....

The Coax comes from the Dish to the receiver but thats it. The Coax cable connection at the back of the receiver is for Off-Air Broadcast (old fashon ant) or digital cable (cable company)...

Remember this... Coax Cable MAY carry the HD signal but will only allow you to see the HD signal in 480i do to the limited amount of signal data it can pass.

Thats why there are HDMI connections on the back of the HDTV. With HDMI you can look at HD in 1040i (soon to be 1040p).

Go to Best Buy and ask them to show tou the difference. They have both usually sitting next to each other.

Question is... what do you want? 480i or 1040i.. up to you...

Best Cables = Best Picture...

As far as spliting the signal... most things that are HD capable have more than one output. So maybe you can have one output to your PC and one to the HDTV...

You can just set you comp to work on one of the inputs on the TV so if you want to you can switch to say... Input 5 for the PC... and btw most modern HDTV's have a dedicated PC connection for HD...

What model did you get anyway?

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Jammy Pajamies
Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-01 11:46   
well,its a 32" LCD HDTV at 780p,so im sure i can split the screen.as for High def tv,im sure i can coax my parents into getting me comcast high def (its only $5.00 a month XD).And its a Sony,if that clears anything up =P

Drow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-01 19:38   
I think there maybe some confustion from technical specifics not being specific enough.
-----

Dark Slinki

Coax Cable - This is the worst you can use BUT does the trick in a pinch. Use RG-6/U with the best sweep test there is (3.0 GHZ is the best on the market currently). It will NOT allow you to see HD programming.
------
Yes it will. But you did not clarify what connection point you are refering to. And if in refrence of the RF output from a conver to the TV, type of coax is almost non-important at all since it only transmits a single channel to the TV, normaly channel 3 or 4, so almost any coax will work. Like that super cheap push on jumper from the VCR.
------

AND

--------
Rocko Willis *CO*

Remember this... Coax Cable MAY carry the HD signal but will only allow you to see the HD signal in 480i do to the limited amount of signal data it can pass.
-----
I think you both mean on the RF output of the receiver its limited to 480i.

This will cause confusion to some who dont know about it much and dont realize you are refering only to the RF output of a converter (if you acualy are).

That Coax Cable WILL allow you to see HD programming. But the Box changes it from RF to the other formats, eather RGB or whatnot, which obviously will not connect to a TV RF port. I think This is the point trying to be made, but I wanted to clarafy it.

If you use coax from a receiver to the TV tuner, you will not get 1080i. No one had botherd to make that happen, no use for it.

But if the TV has a HD tuner! Then the coax can be connected directly to the TV and WILL allow you to see HD programming, in FULL 1080i, IF the HD transmission is in a format that the TV can understand. Obviously you can not connect a satalite feed directly to a TV and expect it to work, but you can with CATV if they offer it. OR with a HD antenna if your in reception range of the transmitter.

I think everyone just assumes you will be using a converter box. You can get a HD TV with internal HD tuner. Depending on what is available in your area, you can use HD antenas for off-air reception of HD programming, or some cable companys offer the use of a Cable Card which authorizes a HD TV to use its internal HD tuner to receive HD programming, sometimes even more, directly from the coax, no converter box needed.

Also, I have been told that there is some type of speed, or refresh rate, related to how fast the TV draws the picture. I have noticed on some HD TV's the picture gets 'blurry' in action scenes, and on some it stays crystal clear. Someone told me this is due to the speed of which the TV draws the picture. So how do you find out if you have the faster TV? Or is this only related to certain types (LCD, ect..)?

HUNTER-DESTROYER
Cadet

Posted: 2007-01-01 19:49   
im getting free HD programming from the air via antenna-vcr-T.V.,so it works =P

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2007-01-01 21:37   
well as a HDTV installer/Tech if you are outputing from a converter box (from cable tv) with simple coax you will not get the best possible picture...

Trust me on this.. i had to go to school for it... the amount of data that has to be transmitted to the tv is astounding....

Now if you have a TV with a HD tuner already inside it then yes only Coax is needed, though whatever you do make sure there is no RG-59 cable in the system... the RG-59 will seriously degrade signal quality.

IF you have a seperate tuner then you really need HDMI to connect to the HDTV... anything else is not worth your time and a waste of money.

As far as some tv's not being able to keep up with sports/action shows that all comes down to the scan rate of the TV... LCD's, Plasma's and all the rest all act differently from one another...

Look into the scan rates/refresh rates...

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021124 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR