No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » HDTV
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author HDTV
Drow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-03 00:37   
RG-6 @ 400MHz looses about 7.4dB /100 feet
RG-59 @ 400MHz looses about 10dB /100 feet

Granted, RG6 is better, IF its made properly. Go to the store and just buy some coax and your most likely buying garbage, unless your familure with what to look for. The only real problem with RG59 is its higher signal loss, especialy at higher frequencies. If it is undamaged, and quality manufactured, its just fine as long as you have enough signal to get through it.

Many Satalite companys use RG59 wire from the receiver to the TV set, it normaly has a tag on it saying to only use it for this purpose. If RG6 is so much better why use the RG59? Because its short distance, quality manufactured, and is only carrying one of two channels on it (ch 3 or 4), so it had no effect on anything, other than being cheaper to manufacture.

Yes, 6 is better and prefered. But history has already proven that if the 59 wire is undamaged quality wire with enough signal, it works just as good as 6 wire. I prefer not to use it at all, but if needed, go for it. The main reason everyone just says 59 is totaly bad is because most of it is. Being 59 wire normaly means its old. The old days they did not install it properly so it was often damaged at the install. We have learned since then, that evenly spaced clips on the coax will cause higher signal loss, and pinch points from clips to tight, like staples, will cause frequency notches. Thats now they used to make traps to block out some channels, a coil of wire with pinches in it at the right points will block out a single channel. The store still sells the small junk, normaly poor quality craftmanship with low grade materials, so it sucks bad. But the RG6 is not much better from the store unless your carefull. And them neeto twist on connectors, unless you do it right they cause all sorts of problems to, but many home mechanics still use them then call whatever company and complain their serverice sucks, "It cant be in my house! I rewired it all myself with the best stuff". Yeah right.

So its much more than just the wire size, size only limits the signal loss, not degridation which is another topic entierly. Its the quality of the wire and the connectors and the instilation used that makes the wire any good or realy junk.

Yes, I know coax well also

But the point I was making, which may be missed, was that there was no refrence point on where you should not use coax. I added that refrence point as the output of a converter.

If we want to talk coax, we should make a seperate thread. And I did agree with most what was said, so I dont know why the rebuttle on everything.

Component minimum for HD. Anything above that, my eyes tell me personal prefrence. Side by side yes see a difrence. Not side by side, untrained eyes probably wont notice the diference. So its spend 75$ or 10$, Ill go with the 10 and use component.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.005216 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR