No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.4 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » 484
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author 484
Reeves-81
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-18 06:22   
Quote:

On 2007-01-17 22:25, Faustus wrote:
I know everyone is anxious about the current status of version 484... so here is the scoop...

I'm about 80% done with a major rollback of the server backend to less fragile and and better system that used UDP packets to transmit ship movements...

DarkSpace was a great experiment in "Deterministic" networking... the experiement is now over. What I mean by this, is I was trying to reduce bandwidth by transmitting only changes in the world to the clients. This system has always been plagued with problems, mostly performance issues.

The upcoming changes move DS to a more traditional networking system that requires much LESS server overhead and work.

You see, currently my servers are CPU bound by the deterministic system in the current version. This means, when you turn your ship, a packet is sent up to the server with a timestamp, if the packet arrives late, the server actually recalculates your ships position back in time, applies the change, then recalculates the updated position of your ship. This has one terrible side effect, a slow client who is sending lots of late packets can actually cause more CPU to be used by the server.

Anyway, I know it sucks to wait forever for an update... but I assure everyone that I will make sure this version is the best ever update of DS.

Cheers,
Richard

lets see now, 80% done, been waiting for what.... at least 18!! months so by your math it should be done in about 4 months!!, lol. Let us know when its done. I think Maybe you should consider hiring someone to do it if it takes you that long because it shouldn't.

\"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.\"
--Thomas Jefferson

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-18 09:00   
that would cost money

Email Borgie
doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-18 09:34   
yay

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-01-18 09:58   
Quote:

On 2007-01-18 06:22, Reeves-81 wrote:

lets see now, 80% done, been waiting for what.... at least 18!! months so by your math it should be done in about 4 months!!, lol. Let us know when its done. I think Maybe you should consider hiring someone to do it if it takes you that long because it shouldn't.

That 18 months hasn't been spent on this alone. Get your facts straight before mouthing off.

Faustus doesn't post here a lot, since he's hard at work. If you want to put him off giving such information like he did, then you're doing a good job.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2007-01-18 11:19 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-01-18 14:12   
F = best damn programmer there is, seeings how he has a full-time job and can balance coding DS all on his own.

If you aren't patient to wait any longer - we're sorry. The last 3 times we said "OMG NOW NOW NOW" we kinda yeh know, screwing the game up.

This time, I would wait until 2008 if it meant that this next version is done right and correctly and how it should be. If it really rankles your patience, play something else until then. DS will still be here, and I have a hard tim believing it will go away anytime soon - no matter what silly doomsayers out there might say.

-Ent

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-18 14:36   
Everyone who's going 'Releases .484 now! Omfg this version sucks!' needs to walk off a cliff, and possibly into the blades of a hellicopter waiting below.

Why do you think this version is so bad? Players threatened to leave and unsubb due to well, flux (Which wasnt that bad compared to this). They basicaly caused this version to be rushed and well, here we are now.

Take all the time you need F-man, I got time to wait.

Email Supertrooper
Reeves-81
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-20 06:10   
Quote:

On 2007-01-18 09:58, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-01-18 06:22, Reeves-81 wrote:

That 18 months hasn't been spent on this alone. Get your facts straight before mouthing off.

Faustus doesn't post here a lot, since he's hard at work. If you want to put him off giving such information like he did, then you're doing a good job.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2007-01-18 11:19 ]

lol, poor jack. stfu and go play. Look at your post, do you realize that you come off as a bit of an ass, your the type that they shouldn't let post, all that your doing is trying to encite an arguement, my post was a response to F which is why I quoted him. Jack YOUR not that important, in fact you have absolutly nothing to do with my post, "besides wanting to be part of it", lol
Ive said enough, just checkin in to see if they fixed anything yet, by the look of it, its worse than ever .
So hows this I will politely ask. "Please Faustus, do the 1 months worth of work that you set out to do 18 months ago. Appearently you work hard, so if you cant do it pay someone, try using some of the money that we've given you,"..............................................SAME RESULT===Nothing

\"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.\"
--Thomas Jefferson

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-20 06:25   
Quote:

On 2007-01-20 06:10, Reeves-81 wrote:

lol, poor jack. stfu and go play. Look at your post, do you realize that you come off as a bit of an ass, your the type that they shouldn't let post, all that your doing is trying to encite an arguement

It's important to realise that when you resort to insults, you hardly look any better.

Quote:

On 2007-01-20 06:10, Reeves-81 wrote:

So hows this I will politely ask. "Please Faustus, do the 1 months worth of work that you set out to do 18 months ago. Appearently you work hard, so if you cant do it pay someone, try using some of the money that we've given you,"..............................................SAME RESULT===Nothing

People have been asking things along that line since this patch was released, if asking him to hurry up worked, we would have known by now.

This is his hobby, he does this (I assume) for fun. The last thing that's needed is to make it stressful, because then he's liable not to want to work on it. If he wants he doesn't have to answer to any of us, and no amount of pleading will bring out the new patch quicker.

If you really cannot stand playing the game as it is, then do not play. Leave for a bit, then come back when it's done.

Reeves-81
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-20 11:00   
Quote:

On 2007-01-20 06:25, YIIMM wrote:

It's important to realise that when you resort to insults, you hardly look any better.

True, I shouldn't have lowered myself to that level. About F getting this done, I would just like to see this game come back, and for the community to wise up a little and realize that this is their game, they pay for it and its not too much to ask for it to work right or even to demand it.

Locked the post, typical DS logic, "dont make too much sense or we'll shut you down, lol"

[ This Message was edited by: Reeves-81 on 2007-01-23 04:54 ]

--Thomas Jefferson

ForMichael

Posted: 2007-01-20 11:09   
I wish I would have seen this thread sooner.

I have my estimate. I'll leave now. I'll be back in couple of months. I hope everyone will miss me.

doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-20 11:24   
This is why we never end up with nice topics....

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-01-20 11:40   
I believe it's lockie-time.

It would be really cool if you guys could discuss stuff without flaming each other all the time, really.

Email Bobamelius
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.015169 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR