No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » 484 progress
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author 484 progress
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-25 15:10   
Im hearing from random players that 484 is coming along and almost ready for beta testing to work out the last of the kinks, and that the backend (whatever that means) is done. Is this true?

Any Admin, plz give us a full run-down on what's done, what remains to be done, and what significant stages of developement are coming up soon (such as formal stress testing & beta testing).

So help me, if i see a Two Weeks™ in an admin's reply, I will... laugh, but in a very 'we are not amused' type manner....

[ This Message was edited by: Kanman *FC2* on 2007-01-25 15:11 ]

icansee
Cadet

Posted: 2007-01-25 15:29   
kanman all i siad was doran said that faustas has nearly finished the backend if so thinsg will get moving (hes siad about 90% has been done)

[ This Message was edited by: HMS Blueprint on 2007-01-25 15:30 ]

Lyedtau
Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-25 15:41   
You'll be notified when 1.484 is ready for any sort of testing.

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-25 15:50   
You are all just Jealous because there are not times when your screen is Spamed by the following message

* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 3 minute(s) ..."
* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 2 minute(s) ..."
* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 60 second(s) ..."
* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 50 second(s) ..."
* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 40 second(s) ..."
* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 30 second(s) ..."
* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 20 second(s) ..."
* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 10 second(s) ..."

Lyedtau
Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-25 15:53   
Quote:

On 2007-01-25 15:50, Feralwulf wrote:
You are all just Jealous because there are not times when your screen is Spamed by the following message

* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 3 minute(s) ..."
* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 2 minute(s) ..."
* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 60 second(s) ..."
* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 50 second(s) ..."
* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 40 second(s) ..."
* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 30 second(s) ..."
* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 20 second(s) ..."
* [STAFFSEND] Server Sent "Beta is updating in 10 second(s) ..."

That gets spammed in the lobby now too. <3

[ This Message was edited by: Lyedtau on 2007-01-25 15:54 ]

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-25 16:24   
From what I know, Beta isnt exactly close to playable.

Last I heard, there are a few .dlls that are borked, along with the resourcer being broke (Which means not being able to work on game mechanics). Although, the server backend has been fixed and Faustus is now working on the resourcer ( I think, and hope).

I doubt Beta will be up any time soon, but I hope it'll be up eventualy..

[ This Message was edited by: Crim on 2007-01-25 16:25 ]

Email Supertrooper
doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-26 12:28   
I use this analogy,

The sailor is 90% finished with his project of floating across the sea on a raft made of bricks.

Im not trying to say anything in specific, but you can take it whichever way you like.

Lyedtau
Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-26 13:00   
Quite simply, it'll be done when it's done. You'll be told when it's ready for testing/playing.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-26 14:47   
That may be easy to say, Lye.. But that isnt what the community wants to hear. We'd love to hear regular updates on whats going on and possibly and estimation on when it will be completed.

Just saying 'It'll be done when it's done' wont keep the community happy for long, and as you can see, it isnt working here. I'll atleast try and tell people what I know is going on from talks with people, and I'm not even a Dev. So my information isnt always right, but atleast I'm trying to tell the community as much of the truth about the development as I can.

We, the players, should atleast get a 'We're working on [insert game mechanic]. We've completed abit of [same game mechanic], and nearing completion'. We deserve it after hanging through this failure of a version.

[ This Message was edited by: Crim on 2007-01-26 14:56 ]

Email Supertrooper
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-01-26 15:07   
Crim, theres a thing called getting your hopes up...

They try not to do that here.

It will be done when its done, and if thats not good enough... too bad?

-Ent

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-26 16:40   
I'd atleast like the truth.

'We havent been able to work due to lack of money/interest/ or due to an outside life'. Instead of us all sitting here with our thumbs in our mouth waiting for it to be released.

Email Supertrooper
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-26 17:02   
Quote:

On 2007-01-26 16:40, Crim wrote:
I'd atleast like the truth.

'We havent been able to work due to lack of money/interest/ or due to an outside life'. Instead of us all sitting here with our thumbs in our mouth waiting for it to be released.

Okay:

This is Faustus's little plaything. Faustus has an *actual* job working for a different MMORPG.

He does this when he has free time.

Obviously, he has not had a lot of it.

So, this is a little "side" project of his that is quite immensly popular - but not enoguh to support himself fulltime.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-01-26 18:18   
Quote:

On 2007-01-26 14:47, Crim wrote:
Just saying 'It'll be done when it's done' wont keep the community happy for long, and as you can see, it isnt working here. I'll atleast try and tell people what I know is going on from talks with people, and I'm not even a Dev. So my information isnt always right, but atleast I'm trying to tell the community as much of the truth about the development as I can.

I don't think it was intended to keep us happy Crim. He's telling us that it'll be done when it's done, which is the truth. They can't tell us what's being worked on, as they're waiting for Faustus to fix the resourcer and backend.

And FYI, they don't need to tell you what their working on at all. Knowing what they're working on is a privilage, and should be treated as one.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-26 18:49   
Back before .483, Devs constantly had Developers Meetings, which the community attended. There wasnt any 'Whats going in developings! Their not doing anything, they dont even care!'. People knew what was going on behind the curtain, and they where happy with that.

Look at players now, they are constantly saying that Faustus and the rest of the Devs are doing nothing. Everynow and then Faustus will post a small update, saying the same thing he's said the entire version.

I dont want him to be on every day explaining everything he's done that day. I'd just like to see a weekly update, or something that informs us constantly, instead of the same update we've heard six months after we first heard it.

I know we cant force him to post anything, or even tell us anything, but it would be better then just saying 'Well, you'll know when it's done'. Heck, I'd be just fine with updates on how the fixing of the resourcer is going. It's better then the updates we get now.

Also rob, I know he's busy with outside life, I'm well aware of that. I just wish he'd clear it up with alot of the community who's saying he's lost all interest in his project.

[ This Message was edited by: Crim on 2007-01-26 18:50 ]

Email Supertrooper
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-01-26 19:53   
You know, I firmly recall why the Two Weeks™ is a common Palestar trademark now.

For one, whenever F gave regular updates, when he gave an estimate... "Two weeks."

This is why, we say Two weeks™ and why he doesnt give estimates often.

Also, Dev meetings are not in effect because of several reasons I can assume.

#1. Meetings take time to organize. This means less time F spends coding to spend five minutes telling you hes working on [so and so code line number].

#2. Beta isnt up yet, so there is no point in going over what is going to be implemented when it isnt going to be.

#3. The Developer team is significantly smaller than it was a year ago.

#4. See #1.

#5. See #1.

Be patient, okay? Nothing goes foreward if F doesn't finish the backend. Thats plain and simple and there are no ifs ands or buts.

We know what hes working on. We know how far he is into it. We know that when its nearly done or done, he will tell us. For him to come and tell him "WOOTS. 1% MORE COMPLETED" is like you know, pointless.

We say, it will be done when its done, because literally, we know what has to be done, and we know regular updates arent comin until it IS done.

This is like in 1.480, and why 1.480 took so long to get to 1.481. Anyone remember?

I do. He was converting the backend then, to this system we currently have now. We screamed and cried for it to be done NOW and look what happened. We yelled and pleaded for updates and look what happened.

Now we are on our way to 1.484, and now, we are converting back to 1.480 system backend. So its taken just as much time to get there as it did last time, and yeh know, its getting awfully close to completion. Home stretch.

For me, thats an update enough, and all I ask of F : Dont give up. Keep at it, and we are standing here ANXIOUS AS ALL GET OUT SLAP MY MOUTH AND PAIN ME RED AND SHOVE A CROWBAR UP MY NOSE - we can't wait.

So when it comes Crim, it comes. PATIENCE PL0X OR I STAB YOUR AYE.

-Ent

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.018417 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR