No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Crew Idea [Edited : Simplified]
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Crew Idea [Edited : Simplified]
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-01-29 20:42   
Note : Revised. This is a more open ended synopsis of the idea, and less set in stone. Will modify it based on replies and reasoning.

Random Asthetics - Simplified.

Realizing the other one was far to complex and it was built in and around each other, Im going to attempt to simplify. Note Im not very good at doing so but hey, I might as well give it a shot.

As stated, I think it might be best to use a far more simple version as suggested until Draf comes up with what he had in mind.
The problem I'm mainly finding, is a balance between reasonable yet, challenging.

I will take Drafs advice on the first bit : Size = Set crew. That is alot more simple than what I had in mind.

For example..

Scout : 300
Frigate : 600
Destroyer : 1200
Cruiser : 2400
Dreadnought : 4800
Station : 9600

And thats that. No additions. Every ship for every class has that much crew. Note : Numbers are just a basic idea. They have no reflection of the size and scope of what Drafell meant on how much crew each ship has. Ill modfiy it whenever he gets off his bum and gives up his own ideas.

I firmly believe however, the the experience you gain is still on a per-ship basis. This allows players to work for the individual ships they desire to use with these asthetic effects.

I believe that perhaps 100 levels is too high to go to. Overly long and complex, in hindsight. I believe that a rank + level system allows for some flexibility in the process of 'ranking up' as it were. People do not like losing what they earn for a specific ship, but getting there should be a whole different matter altogether.

The original discussion did consist of five ranks, and with each one, those asthetic affects for a ship would be unlocked, I didn't like the idea of it being something on the idea of a runnaway train; that is, attempting to survive through all five ranks with little or no deaths have nothing to build up to, nothing to gain while playing well, normally.

The whole kit and kaboodle is not to be a focus of DS gameplay but something to show off, something to be proud about and earned through effort, skill, and time. People are seldom proud of things that can be lost at a whim and gained at a whim. So the idea in a simplified form is :

Five ranks, each rank requireing your crew to have reached a certain level. What this level is is debateable, maybe four levels for each one, maybe depending on ship class. I wont expand further.

The idea is also that for every level, the cost of gaining the next level would be higher than the last. That is, if level one required you to gain 100 crew points supposedly, level 2 might require 200. And so on. But also like prestige, those points can be lost upon death with the death of some of your crew.

The amount of crew lost may depend on the ship, or maybe its a random percentage depending on a ship class; this is open to suggestions and ideas, I can't think of anything definate about it.

The idea of crew leveling up would occur during normal DS gameplay, by the actions you undertake and so on. Maybe prestige could be tied to how crew levels; maybe on a seperate meter of its own? I think the latter would be better, personally. Maybe it could gain experience through the time around combat and the amount of damage you inflict, the structures you destroy, etc. All ideas. Drafell probably has one in mind however.

However once in a ship and you gain rank on it, it should keep that rank; I believe in this firmly. The one thing that I like about DS that is not EvE-like is the total loss of everything you have when you die. I can understand the levels of your crew losing experience and losing levels, but not beyond a rank you've gained. This lets people who finnally achieve the final rank, enjoy it. And who cares if they die then in that ship aye, because they would have had to work their arses off in the first place to get there; I'd say they've well earned that.

I wonder if thats a little more open ended than before.

-Ent

[ This Message was edited by: Enterprise on 2007-01-30 14:41 ]

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-01-29 20:44   
Skimming through your OMFGWTFHOWTHEHELLDIDYOUWRITETHISTHING long post, it seems like a good idea. Something I thought of, but couldnt explain it in this much detail.. You win!

Email Supertrooper
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-29 22:53   
I read through it at scroll-wheel speed (ie, saw about six words), but I wholeheartedly agree, and give it my complete approval!

Email Shigernafy
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-01-30 07:14   
You implementation of the idea is overly complex, and does not leave space for modular expansion. Also many of the figures are way out.
There are no need to modifiers on the number of crew per ship. A ship is a certain size and can hold X crew, regardless of the commanders rank.

I will have to sit down and draw up an outline for the way I was thinking of a crew system working.

Goto the website of Drafell
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-30 14:03   
I agree this is a great idea, but the math is a bit too complex as it is.

Defintly, however, this should be kept somewhere close to the front burner and redefenied and have imput from more then just the people on the beta forums

However, I don't know how hard it is to change the color of the ship's beams, in terms of coding. I remember Gideon, years ago, saying that beams were drawn in a "special way", something about applying one bit of a color onto somehoopadajob and whatnot

anyway, customizing colors/decals/spoilers/rims might require a lot of coding....huh. I dunno.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-01-30 14:09   
Quote:

On 2007-01-30 07:14, Drafell wrote:
You implementation of the idea is overly complex, and does not leave space for modular expansion. Also many of the figures are way out.
There are no need to modifiers on the number of crew per ship. A ship is a certain size and can hold X crew, regardless of the commanders rank.

I will have to sit down and draw up an outline for the way I was thinking of a crew system working.

Yess my plan is working.

Aye I know its complex, I have a habit of making things that way. Any simplification is welcome.

I suppose I was aiming for something, I dunno hard to obtain. The bombing patch grates my nerves on things that are quick and easy.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-30 14:36   
well, here is the thing.

the ranks are for only oneship.

it's going to take a boat load of "crew" prestige to get to rank 100 and put the spoilers and spinnaz on your ship.

So how do you think people are going to do this? Is their going to be a "crew" grind to get "that one last color"? How long would you say it's going to take to go from 0 - > 100 in "Normal Combat Conditions"? Does a crew get EXP for bombing? (You might say "F%#$ no!", but are we being biased towards bombing?)

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-01-30 14:46   
Yes, I believe it should work on a per-ship basis. This as stated makes it more challenging than for every ship, or for a single class. It matters not, because it occurs normally, and maybe without thought too. Your crew becomes an active representation of how well you play.

People will see a Rank 5 ship and go "Holy !@*!%#%&e that guy is good to get his crew up that high.."

As for bombing... well, concerning next patch, its alot harder. The idea is based around that crew cannot be 'leveled' without some work involved. This is where a balanced patch comes in, where everything requires teamwork and skill.

And reread original post, I redid the entire idea to a more simplified version.

-Ent

Lyedtau
Admiral

Posted: 2007-01-30 20:39   
Very nice post. I'd love to see a few more posts like these around here. Nice and constructive, with well written points.

The idea on the other hand sucks.

Just kidding. Myself and Drafell have talked about Crews before, and believe it would be a nice way to introduce some sort of experience levels to ships at some point in the future, either for some sort of visual secondary ranks, or some other type of rewards.

Some points of your post were talked about, but I do agree with Drafell - your way is overtly complex, and there's no need to go into that much depth. The idea, on the other hand, is sound, although I'd expect much more pressing needs to be worked on first before such a system sees the light of day.

- Lyed

EDELWEISS
Captain

Posted: 2007-01-31 06:02   
Quote:

On 2007-01-29 22:53, Shigernafy wrote:
I read through it at scroll-wheel speed (ie, saw about six words), but I wholeheartedly agree, and give it my complete approval!

That's pretty much what I did too, but I think it was good

Abandoned Ships[AS]
Cadet

Posted: 2007-02-03 15:12   
Ent's idea; having a certain amount of crew would be a lot better because if infantry board you ship and you don't have any infantry then your crew would try to kill them, shove the enemy out the air lock, dunk the infs heads in liquid nitrogen and bash their frozen head against a wall,

have ship's pet leva suck out and eat the infs brains, summon cerberus to rip separate the infs upper body from the lower body, use the infs heads as a trophy, call 1-800-666-2885 for Darth Vador, create a microsingularity in the infs brains, shoot the inf in the belly with a magnum and watch them die a slow and very painful death, knock out the inf; implant metal in the infs left and right arm and place a powerful magnet on either side turn it on and watch the inf get torn apart by exposure to magnetic materials when metal implants are in both arms,

blow a hole in the hull and watch them get sucked out along with the air or something, krak the inf's skull, get an almighty kraken to devour the inf, or implant a proximity in the infs head and activate, put them in a garbage disposal and cut them up and make them Major Dogfood, get vampire squids to eat the infs face, get master chief to beat them down, or eat them alive.

I mean if you do have a marker telling you exactly how much crew is left after being boarded down to the 10's or 1's would be AWESOME. Also having 2 empty slots for special addition to your ship, say an onboard computer which keeps a self-destruct sequence from going off as long as you are still piloting a ship would be nice. Also there could be weaponless escape pods, raptors which you could pilot out and jump away in to a safe location or something along with your most experienced crew members and have the others blow up the ship or something that would be cool the only problem is the escape pods can only be used near a frienly sy and the raptors can only be used when the ship has been boarded.

These components should cost a hell of a lot of credits. The onboard comp would be better I guess less cost because it doesn't save your life. The life pod would only take you and is destroyed the minute that it makes it to the ground safely. Also the escape pod's speed has to be slowed down by pressing space or something so that you don't hit the ground hard enough to kill you anyways and also having numerous escape pods just to save your best crew which really costs as much as the raptor.

Technically you don't die if you manage to do so which is why it costs a lot of money when you buy escape pod(s) or a bunch of raptors. Note the raptors are bought as a small group having any more would only waste money. When you buy component escape pod you get one they add up in the escape pod component. Note you can only choose only 2 types of crew when you use the raptor.

Weapons, defense, movement, or security are the types that you can choose from. The raptor could only take you a certain distance before you despawn and return back to the ship selection the crew you chose will be in storage. Also the crew on your ship can be switched to another ship of the same size(unless you escaped with raptors then the next ship you spawn with will have the selected type of crew at the same rank all the others will be inexperienced) otherwise this is how I'll explain it.

Updated brutal deaths.

[ This Message was edited by: Yamakaze on 2007-02-04 20:46 ]

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2007-02-03 15:50   
EvE?

Abandoned Ships[AS]
Cadet

Posted: 2007-02-03 15:54   
I've never played eve before and just leave me be I'm trying to remember more of those profoundly descripted deaths that I saw on movies on sci-fi channel if that's what you're asking also sixkiller that signature really makes me nervous.

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-02-03 17:52   
i like this idea....just imagine seeing me coming after you with a high-crew-rated Battle Dread... MUAHAHA!

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Lyedtau
Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-03 21:30   
Quote:

On 2007-02-03 15:12, Yamakaze wrote:
Stuff

For the love of my eyes, please learn to use paragraphs. It makes reading so much easier, and people are far more willing to read someone's ideas if they're well formatted.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022373 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR