Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » If DS falls...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author If DS falls...
.MeLLyMoo.
Cadet

Posted: 2007-02-01 13:52   
Omg its a Scotty! /huggles

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-02-01 14:19   
Okay... first of all, I have faith in DS. Enough that I choose not to leave until GCQL is no longer login-able.

A few things I want to point out.

1.481 signaled the decline in DS because F tested an experemental way of networking (that has now obviously failed). 1.482 was an improvement, but it still had alot of kinks. Alot of people DID play 1.482, but nothing compared to 1.480.

And people had high hopes for 1.483, and it bombshelled, due to various bugs and a somewhat rushed patch, it nearly destroyed the game.

So those of us who still enjoy DS but do not feel its worth their money yet see potential in 1.484 (aka, people like me) sit in the lobby because there are still some people worth logging into, and I maintain my patience that F will get it done when it gets done. And as best as he can, to the best of his ability.

I have faith. DS only goes down if every single person gives up on it and that sure as hell isn't going to happen. I know I have faith in what is to come... but does everyone else?

Posts like this make it remain to be seen.

-Ent

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-02-01 15:03   
I will be right there with you, to the last minute the servers are running, Ent. I only posted this to cover my bases. I am in school and busier than I can imagine, so I am missing out on a lot of the inter-DS politics and would be unaware if it were on the brink of going down. Just dont want to see it go down and then 20 years later find out it came back up with v484 only 2 years later and I missed it completely.

L. B. Exodus
Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-01 15:55   
Ah, darkspace, i leave you for only 2 years and this is what happens.......

i wont leave til the last second, but i to am in school and have to wait to get on.

LONG LIVE DARK SPACE!!!!!

doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-01 17:13   
well ds might fall, but i dont think faust will throw away all his years of work for nothing. So maybe it might go down for a couple years untill faust finally finishes 1.484 coding and restarts the game.

Sir Night Runner
Fleet Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2007-02-06 12:11   
DS will never fall....... SA

Email Sir Night Runner
Musiqsoulman
Grand Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2007-02-06 12:21   
Perhaps all these doubts would be cleared if this long awaited next patch would be released...

Perhaps we could increase the number of subscribers if you could produce a good and full documentation on how to play in other languages!

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2007-02-06 12:25   
Quote:

On 2007-02-01 13:32, Hawk™ wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-01-31 20:03, Amallamard wrote:
DS is going nowhere. The posts like this make newbies think "oh its not going to last, i'm not going to sub and work on getting good stats if its going to fail"

Helloooooooooooooooooooo? Anyone Home? Do you not realize that 85% of the .1480 players have deserted? Do you not realize theres never more than 100 people on at the same time? Do you not realize that there hasn't been a working game for 2 years now?

We didnt desert......we just refuse to pay for this crappy version.

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-02-06 18:57   
if ds falls... go play wow

Email Borgie
Xpli$it
Marshal

Posted: 2007-02-06 19:14   
Am I the only one that thinks it would be an exceptionally good idea to roll back to an earlier version? I had the time of my life pre 1.481, the only thing holding me back is patience that things will return to as they once were - I was never bothered by the lag. But these new patches, I can't cope with considering 90% of my day is spent at school, or at work.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-02-06 19:45   
A roll-back might not be a bad idea until 484 is ready. Think about it. Back when 481 was out, everyone had Dialup. Most have DSL or Cable now. The lag might be far less. And with a lower player base atm, we could have an MV that consists of only 3-4 systems, permitting more server power per location. I really think it could be a viable option, but having not played that version, I cannot speak for how playable it would be.

Truth be told, I dont think they even have the software for 481 anymore. They probably just over-wrote it in making 482 and so on.

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-06 21:39   
How many times do the dev's have to say their can't just roll back. From my understanding 484 is going to be somewhat of a roll back but F still has to finish all the backend code in order to even roll back.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
[2006] - Codex09
Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-07 00:26   

In terms of Online games DS is what you would call old, and as it is not being updated all the time it continues to fall behind. I can apprecite that Palestar is a very small company etc etc. but when it all comes down to it small or not DS is competing in an ever growing world of MMO..

In the last few years we have seen the take off of the Korean MMO which not only is offering a full free access but user bases that are huge when compared to that of DS. These games are also now starting to cover just about every type of genre in MMO including the Magic, Space, Fighting etc etc.

I see all these posts and I think it is great that people feel an think that DS will not close but when it all comes down t it without the subscribers it is already on the path to the end. This is not to say that it can't be removed from this path but from what I have been observing over the last few months and even weeks now the actual daily active player base has/is dying right off. For example last night I logged onto DS just after the daily reset (which is at 1:30am Australian time) and there was 3 people in the lobby one of these was LG. Ingame it was showing the number 10 of which 7 or 8 are servers or whatever. Now I have logged into DS at 2 hour intervals over the last few days just to see if there has been any increase in the number of players and very basically there hasn't been.

Now if I were a new user that had just d/l'ed the game and logged in for the first time and I saw there was 3 people in the lobby and 10 ingame I don't think I would even bother going any further.

It is sad that a game that has brought so many people so much entertainment is starting to slow down but this is what happens with games, even the biggest and best sooner or later slow down and then slowly fade away.

I asked a question in one of the forums the other day/week about whether Richard would pull the plug if things didn't pickup and the reply I got was that DS is now on the line of no longer paying for it's self, the person who replied also stated that Richard had already in the past said he would have to re-evaluate whether it would be worth keeping the servers running at his expense if it falls below the self supporting line. My guess is because this is a business I doubt very much that Richard will just start pouring money into a game that he knows is slowing down.

Maybe Ds's fate was sealed when Richard moved it away from how it was back in 1481 or whatever it was, but he had to try new things because had he not tried new things it is very possible the game may not have made it this far.

NOw do I personally think that 484 is going to bring DS back, well I think it might for a short while but sooner or later people are going to move on and I think the damage has been done with DS in the online gaming world. Yes the game may pull in 20, 30 40, 50 new players, but is that really enough to ensure that DS will stay around for another few years?

No-one can blame any of the users for not wanting to sub, I mean why would they when they can go play other games for free that allow them to move up through the levels?

Anyway I can safely say that the time I spent playing DS was a good time and most of the people I met while playing DS were friendly people, I can now only hope that something drastic happens and DS is reborn a bigger and better game.

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-02-07 01:42   
Quote:

On 2007-02-07 00:26, Codex-127729 {Just PLAY The Game} wrote:

Now if I were a new user that had just d/l'ed the game and logged in for the first time and I saw there was 3 people in the lobby and 10 ingame I don't think I would even bother going any further.

You go that wrong.. 20 in the lobby, 3 ingame

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-02-07 03:32   
Quote:

On 2007-02-07 00:26, Codex-127729 {Just PLAY The Game} wrote:

-snip-

I really hate doomsayers. FYI.

I would reevaluate seriously just how long DS has lived and just how many patches it has gone through and just how still still, people play, before saying DS will die.

Personally, from what I have seen, it won't until the day Richard pulls the plug. And personally, all DS has needed since 1.481 is just one patch that did things right, and it may not make DS universally famous, and it may not pull it out of the gutter instantly, but it would bring in enough people to keep DS supported on its own.

And that means, time for it to improve.

This may be Richard's hobby but damn he made a game which people STILL come back to, years down the road. No one stays away from DS forever, unless they have a real good reason to. But this is a business too, so yeah, it will close if there aren't enough subscribers. But as we can see from the latest news...

Well, one can infer Beta is almost ready for testing, and that means .484 is on its way. And im willing to wait and see. Other people might yell 'The end is neigh!" and such, but Im willing to give it one last shot, because DS is still the only game thats never stops being fun for me. And if the next version is meant to be modeled after past versions (way way past versions), then thats good. Those models worked..

As for rollbacks, maybe a Dev will have to post it as an announcement or some such, but its been said already.

We cannot roll back to a previous version because Faustus overwrote the code for every other version and there is no backup before this one to roll back to.

Its not that he doesn't want to, its that he can't.

Quick fixes, quick patches at this point are moot. It would be better just to get .484 going. This time hopefully without a crowd of impatient 10 year oids screaming "NOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOW!"

Anyways to wrap it up. DS is alot like a shipwrecked crew on a small island with no more food, no more water. Nothing. And they have almost finished a boat with what was left that might, just might, take them back to the mainland.

It may not work, but its better than just giving up.

-Ent

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.036457 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR