No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » If DS falls...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author If DS falls...
TheBumble
Cadet

Posted: 2007-02-07 04:06   
Just look at the news, i mean...

==> DarkSpace will be down for network maintenance this coming Saturday February 10th from 11AM CST until 5PM. We are installing some new hardware in preparation for the upcoming version release. <==

.. and stay full of trust and hope

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2007-02-07 07:38   
upcoming could still mean next year:P
but hey, it does show that F is working on things, and i like that.

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-07 08:25   
Quote:

On 2007-02-07 04:06, TheBumble wrote:
Just look at the news, i mean...

==> DarkSpace will be down for network maintenance this coming Saturday February 10th from 11AM CST until 5PM. We are installing some new hardware in preparation for the upcoming version release. <==

.. and stay full of trust and hope

I have absolutely no idea what I am going to do saturday now.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-07 09:35   
Quote:

On 2007-02-07 03:32, Enterprise wrote:

As for rollbacks, maybe a Dev will have to post it as an announcement or some such, but its been said already.

We cannot roll back to a previous version because Faustus overwrote the code for every other version and there is no backup before this one to roll back to.

Its not that he doesn't want to, its that he can't.
[/qoute]
that will be changing starting with .484

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

Quistis {C?}
Cadet
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2007-02-07 10:01   
Every once in a while I see someone in a chatroom or other game with a screenname which is the same or similar to someone in I once knew in DS, and I "yell", "shout" or "scream" (whatever is specific to that game or chatroom), "DarkSpace RULEZ!!!" hoping to get a response, but it never comes...

Even though i havent played DS in a couple years or logged on to the lobby for a long time, DS still lives in my mind, and will always have a special spot in my heart. Therefore DS will never die.

Keep her in your heart and she will live forever in your mind.

*Hugs from Quissy*

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-02-07 10:01   
It's not only code, it's the database as well if I understand correctly. If it get's rolled back, so does everything else (ranks, etc).

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-02-07 14:19   
Quote:

On 2007-02-07 10:01, Que wrote:
Every once in a while I see someone in a chatroom or other game with a screenname which is the same or similar to someone in I once knew in DS, and I "yell", "shout" or "scream" (whatever is specific to that game or chatroom), "DarkSpace RULEZ!!!" hoping to get a response, but it never comes...

Even though i havent played DS in a couple years or logged on to the lobby for a long time, DS still lives in my mind, and will always have a special spot in my heart. Therefore DS will never die.

*Hugs from Quissy*

OMG MUFFIN LASS!

Thou great baking feats are missed greatly.

-Ent

Sayin Crowe
1st Rear Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-02-07 14:35   
Idk... maybe this won't go too far, but I have to atleast propose it...

Maybe it'd be a good idea to, even though this patch is ...not exactly on-point, to start prepairing rollback data now, starting with this patch incase it is required in the longrun?

Email Sayin Crowe   Goto the website of Sayin Crowe
Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-07 14:37   
Should DS fall, I think it should be open sourced, so maybe somebody might pick it up again. Honestly, I think it should have been open sourced a long time ago. One guy doing it is freaking insane. I'm shocked that the thing doesn't crash every four seconds seeing as only one guy is managing a rather hefty codebase.

Email Axalon
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2007-02-07 15:07   
Hello everyone who remembers me!

Speaking as a former paying player, I think the biggest problem is the lack of updates, with lack of advertising a close second.

Consider this:

"21:42:52 [Admin]Faustus: ""[$BUMS$]Bottombum (Esari) whispered "Will beacons be addressed at some future patch?"
21:43:08 [Admin]Faustus: "@bottomobum... yes, they will be addressed ASAP... perhaps even tonight."

This was from well over a year ago. I saved some of the transcript to my computer on July 20, 2005. This was from a chat shortly after the last patch was introduced from what I can remember

Has there even been a patch since then?

I unsubbed shortly after the last patch as I did not like some of the changes to the game (not least of which was the ability to spam beacons in random directions to uncloak any kluth in the area, just like Bottombum was asking about). It was said that beacons would be addressed ASAP. So I figured maybe I'd resub after the beacon fix since as a kluth the new way beacons were being used was bothering me to no end and impacting my enjoyment of the game. Back then the MIRV problem wasn't really a problem yet...

Well, almost two years later is not ASAP. How can I pay for a game with such incredibly long delays between patches or game fixes? To me it just says that the game is all but abandonded by it's devs.

I still want to come back to Darkspace. Granted, I don't find 1.483 as fun as 1.480 and before, but it still has potential. It just needs to be advertised and updated! Actively updated. Sorry but a year and a half between patches is unacceptable even for free games.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2007-02-07 15:10 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-02-07 15:28   
Hey Sparkle, long time no see (last time I saw you was 1.483 beta). AFAIK, the new developers are waiting for Faustus to finish up the new backend re-write. Once that's done, there'll be updates coming much faster than before (I hope).

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-02-07 15:40   
Isnt the new news post about the new firewall DS is getting (Due to recent hackings and all)? I may be wrong, probably am..

Email Supertrooper
LAG
Marshal
Lethal Assault Group

Posted: 2007-02-07 17:20   
I'd just like to see a more functional game with some bell's and whistles (cool explosions, sound effects, all that stuff). As for the other stuff, I feel that the programmers should code out the exploits (instead of the "can't do that" mentality). It's kinda lazy to leave a message that you can't do that... instead of programming it into the game. There have been exploits in this game that haven't been corrected in over 2 years (WTF-- tractoring thru planets for one ....) Anyway's... didn't mean to jump on a soap box there, just ask the programmers to hard-code these constant items of legitimate complaint (within the scope of the game design and intent) and tell the rest of the whiners to piss-off. There are times when it's proper not to be nice. I'm sick of the whining lil' snot nose turds that constantly bitch about stuff, resulting in game changes (yes, the verbal ones). To give credit where it's due, the NO MIRV tactic was an interesting way of enforcing an exploited item, NICE. Kudo's to the programmers for that one.

A "Shut your hole" to those who deserve sounds like a good idea. I'm done. Hope everything works out.

Hawk™
Cadet

Posted: 2007-02-07 17:36   
Quote:

On 2007-02-07 10:01, Que wrote:

*Hugs from Quissy*

You couldn't how many times I have whispered to people on different online games "are you $d from darkspace?". The usual reaction is "wtf is darkspace?"

Email Hawk™
[2006] - Codex09
Admiral

Posted: 2007-02-07 18:33   
Quote:

On 2007-02-07 14:35, Sayin57™ wrote:
Idk... maybe this won't go too far, but I have to atleast propose it...

Maybe it'd be a good idea to, even though this patch is ...not exactly on-point, to start prepairing rollback data now, starting with this patch incase it is required in the longrun?

There r some very small advantages in having one person lok after the main code, one of these things is the fact that the person knows everything there is to know.

It is still insane though and it is a bloody lot of work

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.028944 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR