No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Mir Hunting please read/comment
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Mir Hunting please read/comment
Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-02 11:34   
Not sure if this has already been posted or if this is even the right place to post this but,

First of all I want to thank the people who made it possible for us to fight the Mir for a change. I think the spawning thing is a great idea and has added some fun to the game.

I have been talking to other members about it and it has some mixed feelings. There seems to be 3 mind sets on this issue it seems:
1st Some say it is a great idea and as to have the spawn time shortened.
2nd Some say to lengthen the spawn time to allow for more real game play (such as building, fighting, bombing, etc…)
3rd Others are saying how they think it would be cool to have an EVE type setup where there is a somewhat safe zone for each faction to hunt Mir in their own areas. Maybe a central area where everyone can hunt.

Personally I like the 3rd option the most and the 1st option as second. That is one thing that I did like about EVE was that you don’t have to do PvP as some people don’t like doing that. You had other FUN stuff that you could do. Bombing and construction isn’t fun to do all the time by the way we keep talking about getting the new patch out to attract new players and how that is a big deal now. Well I can really see this Mir thing taking off to attract more people to the game. You don’t have to worry about getting massed by destroyers and scouts and people jumping away as soon as you get their armor/shields down. Won’t have to deal with the bickering and whining from people not helping or, in your eyes, the enemy’s cheapness. It will be good ol’ clean Mir hunting.

I just see it as a good idea that is all. The idea is to make the game more fun and get people to come in here and play. So what have we got to loose by trying this out? I really think it will help. Oh and of course for people to be really effective against the Mir they would need something bigger then a destroyer. So it is good incentive for people to subscribe and rank up (preferably without bombing).

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Email Challenger
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-04-02 13:44   
AFAIK, they're there to promote fighting, not be Easy Street™ for free prestige, hence:

1) Spawn timer won't be reduced - otherwise it'd be the same as farming trannies.

Because they're there to promote fighting, it'd be pointless to increase the timer further than what it is currently at, so:

2) Spawn timer won't be increased - otherwise people just won't bother.

???, so:

3) This isn't EVE.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2007-04-02 13:45 ]

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-04-02 13:48   
I like it, and I assume the script is not running all day every day so it would be nice for the players that are not on in the afternoon(my time) to get a chance at killing these mir. If it were possible to lower the amount of mir when less people were on(doubt it, but meh) it would be nice.

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-02 13:51   
Easy street like bombing? ... nm wont go there....

I am not looking for an easy street for anything. Just something to add to make for more fun. but okay dont take the suggestion and leave things the way they are.

Also it is okay to reference other games to help improve on this one. I am not saying make it a mirror image of EVE but I am sure it is okay to get some concepts from other games to help make this one better.

Email Challenger
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-02 14:10   
Personally, I'm totally against any sort of permanent type of spawn of any type of 'mob' as it were. Excluding rare, randomized spawns throughout the universe that pose a significant threat that requires several players and combined teamwork to overcome.

I am against any form of 'prestige grind' which is exactly what would happen if any zone for hunting them would result it. Its easier to engage stupid AI for prestige than to fight another person who has a much, much higher chance to kill you back.

Most of all I want emphasize that DarkSpace has been and has been solidly been built around, PvP for nearly six years now, it has been the staple and amusment of the game since time immemorial, and the only reason its lackluster right now is because of three factors:

1) High prestige loss from dieing.

2) Not as active playerbase

3) Low prestige gain from combat

This together tends to make combat a little sparse, and often people run before they hit hull, especially with imbalances and frustrations.

However, this is no excuse for any 'easy' way to gain prestige. DS is supposed to be difficult - hell all games are supposed to be - nothing is supposed to be easy to earn and DS has been vastly fun even when it wasn't Infact to me, the only thing that really turns me off from combat is the high prestige loss from dieing.

From what I've recently seen, any 'standard' spawn of AI would be very much like bombing is now. Its easy, a little too easy, to kill 15+ MIR with a couple cruisers or dreadnoughts, and thats absurd. Combat to me, is the last thing untainted by any form of grinding or abuse, and the last thing left that takes any real skill to get there.

Next thing you see its not bomb whore, its AI whore. Whose to say where it goes from there? Whose to know who have actually earned their prestige at all? Killing AI surely doesn't qualify.

No matter what others might believe, DS is DS. DS is a PvP game, and AI - well its just a little fun on the side. They shouldn't even be worth prestige. That way you could see who - like bombing - actually enjoys it, or just does it for prestige.

But I will quit before I see DS become another grinding MMO.

-Ent

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-04-02 14:15   
The script already scales according to the number of players currently online, although there is a maximum cap on the number that can spawn at once. The cap is necessary so that the amount of load on the server is minimized. So far it has worked quite well, and the only real 'lag' is caused when there are a number of actual players in the same location.

If anything I want to adjust the script so that it will spawn 2-3 waves in succession, and then wait for a few hours before going again. The reason for this is to prevent it being used for prestige farming, so we will keep the spawns at random intervals.

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2007-04-02 14:20 ]

Goto the website of Drafell
Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2007-04-02 14:45   
are we talking about the modded MIR or the unupgraded and unmodded MIR?

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-02 16:18   
Six they are stock in the way that a Battle dread, Mandy or some other dread comes stock....some lvl 8 weapons armor etc, some lvl 4 and some lvl 0. HOWEVER, they have quite a bit more weapons an armor than any playable ship in game.

As for Farming them, I can see how this might happen, but Easy Prestige Gain? NO one player is going to go up against Mir and do anything but lose badly, most anyone can handle 1 - 3 alone maybe but these suckers generally come in a 12 pack or a 24 pack, and E jumping usually is a BAD idea, since they WILL track you, and then you are screwed (only time they killed me so far).

I've seen FAR more actual Teamwork, Combat, and fun had this last weekend than in recent memory.....EASILY the best time I've had since 483 was released.

and the only REAL complaints thus far have been among the perennial complainers (those that complain regardless of what), and the "I have to bomb and cap everything" players who now can't get anyone to supply, or Combat cover them.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-02 20:04   
Why not make it spawn during fleet battles? Unless both sides decide to go "omg free prestige!" and form a temporary alliance - something I see never hapenning in mid battle......then yeah.

After all, space monsters all always attracted to energy.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-02 20:06   
I love the MIR. Reminds me of the old days when we'd have gaifens and entities flying around. I do wish they'd spawn at more locations though. It always seems to be at an uncappable inferno. Do the MIR have something to do with inferno planets?

I don't mind having AI to fight at regular intervals. It keeps the MV interesting. If there's no PvP going on you still have something to do.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-02 20:53   
As long as fleets of players can't grind them it could live with it. From what Fer and Draf have been talking about they are going to make that fairly hard to do, so it doesn't bother me so much.

After all, I did have a good bit of fun chasing MIR about with a fleet of other people. I just dont like the idea of free prestige.

-Ent

Poopshackles
Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-02 21:00   
It would be fun to awlays have combat but the pres farming would become a problem.

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-02 21:13   
Well about 5 or 6 of these Free pres Mir just OWNED my Dread, Ospolos and Sannity saw it I know, and they know I was fighting like mad but they were too much 5-1

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-04-02 21:36   
Quote:

On 2007-04-02 21:13, Feralwulf wrote:
Well about 5 or 6 of these Free pres Mir just OWNED my Dread, Ospolos and Sannity saw it I know, and they know I was fighting like mad but they were too much 5-1

I almost lost my battle station to them: ELF and 3QST's do not mix well.

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-02 22:34   
Yes free pres/pres farming does suck. but this is still a fun concept. Leaving it the way it is still provides a good time. No complaints there.

Email Challenger
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.020691 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR