Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Thermal Game
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Thermal Game
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-04-03 10:32   
EDIT: Latest Version of Weather Sand from Most Recent Post: Weather Sand

Ok. I need you guys/girls to help me out with this one. I have this .... prototype for a new game, and it looks pretty and is even a bit interesting to play with, but it is missing something. I just can't seem to put my finger on what this game COULD be made into. I can feel it has potential, but just cant work out what it is.

Play around with it for a couple of minutes and then tell me what you think I should do to turn this into something more complex. THAT's what I needs. Complexity, but what can I add to make it more complex? Help me out if you plz.

Controls:

This one is simple. D resets to start conditions. A changes 'brush type'.

Initial brush is simple. it adds heat where you click.

Pressing A once brings you to the second brush, which I call Stars. It marks where you click to be a permanent hot spot, constantly diffusing heat outward forever.

Pressing A once again brings you to the final brush, which I call Black Holes. It marks where you click to be a permanent cold spot, constantly sucking in heat from around it forever.

Now, There are 2 more phenomenon I have to describe. There is invisible heat beyond the edge of the blue, which has an extremely low value, and appeared as only 'TV snow', which showed to be annoying. I have it not being shown anymore, but is still there. The area is a CLOSED system. No heat goes away on its own. A map with just 1 star point and no black holes will EVENTUALLY becomes entirely hot.

The second part is LIFE (or rather, my first attempt at it). If a point remains within a certain bracket of temperature for long enough, the point turns green, showing life has started there. If that point remains within its temperature bracket for a bit longer, the life evolves to become more durable. The point turns purple to signify this. It now can survive in slightly hotter temperatures than green, but still dies at the same point of cold as green. If it survives a bit longer, it will turn Teal, signifying a long lasting lifeform. This Teal life can survive even hotter temperatures than purple, but still dies at the same level of cold as purple and green.

Ok. Try it out and tell me what to add to make it more fun.

Link To Thermal Game v1.1

Link To Thermal Game v1.2
Cool Down Brush Added after the Black Hole brush.

Link To Thermal Game v1.3
Behavior of life altered. Teal now expands purple where it can. Lesser life can survive colder temperatures than higher life, so teal may be wiped out to be replaced by purple and the same goes for purple to green. This causes interesting wripple-wave effects when a new Black Hole is introduced to a populated area.

Screenies: (Taken by [-=WKA=-]Peter Wiggin)

[ This Message was edited by: Kanman *FC* on 2007-08-14 20:46 ]

Admiral Alucard (2IC)
Marshal
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2007-04-03 10:46   
I like it. You could turn it into a sorta ant farm kinda thing...heat burns them and cold either freezes them or kills them. I dunno..its just an idear

Quod nos non interficit, nos fortiores facitrnrn

Email Admiral Alucard (2IC)
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-03 14:26   
Very interesting game but I share your view... its missing something. Its definately unique, and I like it its just... it lacks something.

-Ent

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-04-03 14:33   
hehe, if i had the program to record normal windows and things(like fraps, but not for games) I would record my little adventures..

I think of the red middle as a galaxy then the planets around it inhabited lol..

I make a few, watch em grow.. then POP.. a black hole.. hehe its like an ant farm with a magnifying glass.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-04-03 15:22   
I have added v1.3. check it out if you are interested.

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-04-03 15:49   
v 1.3 screenshots:

[ This Message was edited by: Peter Wiggin on 2007-04-03 15:54 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-03 16:24   
I would personally like a galaxy sort of simulator that was sort of mentioned in passing.

Pretty much making a star, it lives, grows, dies and explodes (or becomes a black hole), you could make the remenant of an explosion create a thermal nebula that forms planets, stars, and so on, and life can grow and adapt on those planets.

Just a fun little idea to turn over though; what you have now is definately amusing as it is.

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-04-03 16:27   
I like ent's idea

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-04-04 12:24   
Quote:

On 2007-04-03 16:24, Enterprise wrote:
I would personally like a galaxy sort of simulator that was sort of mentioned in passing.

Pretty much making a star, it lives, grows, dies and explodes (or becomes a black hole), you could make the remenant of an explosion create a thermal nebula that forms planets, stars, and so on, and life can grow and adapt on those planets.

That is my ultimate goal, and each of my games is a step in learning how to do that. My first game (the Particle Game), was me learning how to program the idea of gravity and acceleration. The second game (the Weather Sand game) was my attempt to learn particle impact detection. The third game (Thermal) is me trying to figure out heat diffusion and energy radiation.

In a few years, I may have compiled enough understanding to make a galaxy simlulator, but I am a long way off from that yet. I am still having trouble merging my three games into a single game that works properly. I am currently working on combining Thermal with Weather Sand to make it so rain freezes and snow melts, etc. It will include a Thermal Camera you can switch to that looks a bit like an infrared view from TV. I tried it yesterday but lost track of what was going on in the code and had to scrap it. I will take what I learned yesterday and try again today in a slightly more organized manner.

[ This Message was edited by: Kanman *FC2* on 2007-04-04 12:26 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-04-04 13:38   
Quote:

On 2007-04-04 12:24, Kanman *FC2* wrote:
Quote:

That is my ultimate goal, and each of my games is a step in learning how to do that. My first game (the Particle Game), was me learning how to program the idea of gravity and acceleration. The second game (the Weather Sand game) was my attempt to learn particle impact detection. The third game (Thermal) is me trying to figure out heat diffusion and energy radiation.

In a few years, I may have compiled enough understanding to make a galaxy simlulator, but I am a long way off from that yet. I am still having trouble merging my three games into a single game that works properly. I am currently working on combining Thermal with Weather Sand to make it so rain freezes and snow melts, etc. It will include a Thermal Camera you can switch to that looks a bit like an infrared view from TV. I tried it yesterday but lost track of what was going on in the code and had to scrap it. I will take what I learned yesterday and try again today in a slightly more organized manner.

Use modules.

IE, for one part, just hold the code in a module, and call it each time.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-04 14:09   
Quote:

On 2007-04-04 12:24, Kanman *FC2* wrote:
Quote:

If you manage to do it, and I wish you the best of luck in doing it, it would be great!

Honestly, the uniqueness of the past two games have really sparked my interest. Uniqueness in games often attracts me to them.

For Thermal though, it would be of great help if like in Weather Sand, you had various color coded tabs which you could use to switch between different brushes.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-04-04 15:11   
honestly, if you look at something like fl0w, youve probably got enough of a game by comparison to get yourself on playstation or something.

what would be interesting tho is if when u mixed the particle and thermal aspect, is if objects impacting eachother made heat... i could see a lot of odd little games coming from that, like having to draw something using heat spots.

Spiritlift
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-04 16:14   
think maybe missing something to start the game with
maybe start with an image, that you have to copy or finish in order to complete a round, or

kinda looks to me like a viral tab , something youd see at the doctors or in a lab, maybe you could destroy the bad bacteria with good bacteria , so u start with a pic that looks like a bad bacteria n u have to kill it n make it look like a healthy bacteria or sumin.... i replaced my kluth embryo with uggy anthrax!

anywayz juz my thoughts, loox cool , is there a online multiplayer thermal fight planned? ill take yaz all on! xD

[ This Message was edited by: Spiritlift on 2007-04-04 16:15 ]

Goto the website of Spiritlift
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-04-04 18:52   
I have (nearly) successfully combined Thermal into Weather Sand. It is still buggy (rain keeps freezing on me and the atmospheric temperature keeps resetting itself which is flooding the map with heat or cold at too high a speed.

However. Overall, it is operating properly. I am going to choose new (better) colors for the Thermal view so we can see it in more 'infrared-like' tones.

Here are a couple of teaser pics:

Same game, thru Thermal veiw:

[ This Message was edited by: Kanman *FC2* on 2007-04-04 18:54 ]

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-04-04 19:50   
ok. I am gonna release a beta of the new one. I have fixed a couple of my bugs, but still have a couple more to go. For best results, play in the middle of the game, not along the ground. changing weather (rain, snow, none) instantly changes the atmopheric temperature (more gradual version to come).

BUTTONS:

ACID RAIN REMOVED. In its place you find a RED button. That turns ON thermal view. To the right is a BLUE button. that turns OFF thermal view.

My favorite thing is to make a beam of wall. heat it from underneath until it is nice and hot. then go to snow and watch the snow melt when it hits (or gets near to hitting) the wall.

Also, try letting it rain on acid. the fire looks good in thermal view.

Thermal Weather v1.1

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024697 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR