No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Virginia Tech
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Virginia Tech
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-04-17 14:09   
im kinda of startled there hasnt been a post yet, if its because the admins have decided to keep posts about it off the forums till things die down then im okay with em deleting this.

A) i was wondering if anyone knew of any Darkspace players that might attend Virginia Tech. I'm pretty sure there are/were a couple at the least. If anyone knows that they're okay, it would be much appreciated information.

B) im absolutely horrified by what happened. as a university student and a member of emergency response services, i have to say something like this is unimaginable... i dont understand the thought process going through someones mind where they decide that using weapons on completely innocent people seems like a good idea. im also shocked by the possibility that there were 2 seperate armed incidents on the same campus within 3 hours of eachother. both the supposed domestic incident and the random act are chilling and terrible events.

i can't really think of anything profound to say, or any advice that i could offer, because something like this is so outside the scope of normal events that really its just impossible to make an intelligent response to. random violence has no intelligent response. but, this is the Darkspace community. I think we should show our respect to those who were so senselessly killed, in our thoughts and prayers and what have you.

to anyone who goes to or knows people from Virginia Tech, i hope that you are well, and that your friends are well, and that Monday did not touch you as closely as it has touched so many others.

I would like to suggest that we should hold a ceremony some time this month, akin to that as we hold for R33, to formally pay our respects in the only way we can as such a diverse group of people.

-Sarah

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-17 14:51   
here here! and for you r question regarding why someone would do something like this it is probably one of two possibilities. (perhaps more)

1). The killer(s) was most likely mentally unstable and decided that he would no longer tolerate whatever he was going through. To take out his anger, he decided that murdering anyone would be in his best interests, a sad thing to occur from such a uh....disturbed mind.

2). The second probablity is that he(s) were (this is assuming that he/they were student(s) after all) he wasn outcast at the school, went totally insane from either the lack of attention or the lack of whatever it was he felt he needed, and decided the remody would be to kill as many as he could and kill himself in a final self indulging act.

Or i could be totally wrong and just be spewing nonsense. In either case my thoughts and prayers go out to the people who have died, and the families of the deceased and i hope that they may gain strenght from the support.

[ This Message was edited by: Veronw*FC* on 2007-04-17 14:52 ]

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-04-17 14:58   
I go to school at Old Dominion University, which is an Engineering-based university. It is only a few hours drive of V-tech and I seriously considered going there. Had I gone there, I would have been in the enginer dorms or in an engineering class (which is where the shooter was sweeping through). Had I but chosen to go there instead, I may be dead at this moment.

Some of the people around me know people at that school, but fortunately none of them were the victims.

I'm saddened by this attack and know it will really hurt the school too. V-tech is one of the best schools in this state, and now they will be synonymous with a massarce rather than what they used to be known for, which was great quality of education. It will take then decades to get past this connection now.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-04-17 15:00   
Yeah, I'd find it odd that your post (Being that your not even an American) would be the first about it, but then again, a number of us are American. This is just another 'bad event' that we always get on TV.

I watched the news for hours afterwards, I know three people that currently go there, all family. They luckily where out of state for a funeral (That'd qualify as Irony or something..). I realy cant say much in the ways of advice, because I've never encountered something like this myself.

For a Memorial, this would be a proper thing to do. It marks a rather major event in recent history, being that it is the deadliest shooting on American Soil, except for a war.. I'm in full support of having one..

Email Supertrooper
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-04-17 15:11   
Canada just recently experienced a school shooting at Dawson College where one student died. In contrast to Virginia Tech that is nothing, but both events have us seriously questioning the safety of our schools. I've heard some people have just stopped going.

In any case, as many of us are students and in the middle of exams, an appropiate date would probably be the end of April, perhaps the 29th or 30th?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-04-17 15:27   
I really don't mean to be rude, but you don't see everyone having a memorial for the Londom bombings, or any other horrific event in the past in any country.

I had no idea this had happened (I havn't watched TV in a few days), and my heart goes out to those who have lost someone dear to them.

However, I do not think a memorial in DarkSpace is the right place for such a thing. The R33 memorial is a memorial for a player who lost his life due to an illness. Holding a memorial for people who none of us knew, in a way, lowers the tone of the R33 memorial.

If someone in this tragedy, plays DarkSpace, and has lost their life, then a memorial would be better suited for that. But memorials should be kept for players who have lost their lifes.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2007-04-17 15:44 ]

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2007-04-17 15:33   
Knowing a mere 2 people that go to a tech uni in the US i was worried for a moment when i read the news, but they turned out to live in different states.

I also dont think we should keep a memorial for it in Darkspace. It was sad what happened, but i dont think darkspace is the place to remember tragedies like this.

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-17 15:37   
not true, we could remember it all the same. we are all human beings after all and therefore carry the capacity for remorse. this remorse is being portrayed right now as we discuss this horrific topic. we are remembering, and will probably always have a reminder to help us remember these things. This topic being one of them.

Musiqsoulman
Grand Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2007-04-17 15:52   
If we hold a memorial then we should hold memorials for all other tragedies.

I don't see why we should hold one for Vtech when we don't for Rwanda's genocide.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-17 16:06   
All things happen for a reason; this is no different. We may or may not know of it, but its a small comfort knowing that.

When I read about this it sort of shocked me for a moment. Americans are used to the seemingly random killings throughout the US. But this was something different. So many people dead. It saddens even me (Im too much of a fatalist).

I hope any DS players that go there are alright.

-Ent

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-04-17 21:57   
maybe i was a bit hasty in saying a memorial would be appropiate, but...

i think this has a more dramatic effect on a gaming community, because so many of us are students. theoretically a campus should be more secure than an average street. the london bombings were a national violation, but this is a communal thing. it violates an "inner sanctum" of our society, and cuts off the lives of people who had incredible potential.

its also something that everyone everywhere can identify with. if you have internet access you probably also live somewhere with a higher education system, so you know what a university campus is.

i dont know, this touches a huge nerve with me, because it so easily possible that we'd be having a memorial for a dead player, or even many players... its not like Virginia Tech is the only campus with a crazy person enrolled.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2007-04-17 22:31   
On a side note, I did my best to find the IP range for virginia tech and did a check for any users with an IP in that range. I didn't find anyone.

That doesn't mean someone doesn't have a private ISP and is in the area and attending or otherwise affected, but my somewhat cursory attempt to find players of the school turned up nothing.

Email Shigernafy
Hawk™
Cadet

Posted: 2007-04-17 23:19   
Quote:

On 2007-04-17 15:00, Crim wrote:
"being that it is the deadliest shooting on American Soil, except for a war.. "

Hmm... I will answer that with a question... where did all the native americans go?

But on the topic, im not suprised. At my old high school a grown man walked into the school, walked into a womens bathroom and raped a female student, then he just walked out undetected. Even though its not exactly the same, but security at most schools is really crappy around where I live.

[ This Message was edited by: Hawk™ on 2007-04-17 23:22 ]

Email Hawk™
-RevenG-

Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-04-17 23:25   
The sad thing is, someone will try and top this.
Hawk, your first sentence is flamebait. I'd say remove it.

Musiqsoulman
Grand Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2007-04-18 12:52   
Quote:

Hmm... I will answer that with a question... where did all the native americans go?

They obviously don't count. When I was in Chicago, and I was on a bridge on the Chicago river, a plaque was dedicated to the first man crossing the river.

They were obviously considering the first "WHITE" man, cos I suppose, others don't count as human beings.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022981 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR