No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Potentially Habitable World Discovered! (NOT FanFic)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Potentially Habitable World Discovered! (NOT FanFic)
Nonthought
Cadet

Posted: 2007-04-29 05:35   
I think we should get a base on the moon before going any further. Because, you know, the moon's so much closer. Less walking.

[ This Message was edited by: Nonthought on 2007-04-29 05:35 ]

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2007-04-29 10:50   
Quote:

On 2007-04-29 04:42, Sixkiller*P5* wrote:
First you say that living on Mars is tough because you cant get an atmosphere, then you suggest living on an asteroid?

Yes, I know it seems like a contradiction. But you must Remember that Travel Aint cheap. For the distance and for the money you could build a very nice station on an a NEA (Near Earth Asteroid) asteroid and give it the Spin that you wish it to have, Spin of course being some of the Gravity.

On a Side note, there was some talk about Space Shuttles and the New programs..

I Have heard ( I forget where) That the Saturn 5 Rocket would have been able to have gotten the Job of building the ISS a heck of alot faster, more efficently, and like half the cost.

Interesting.. makes you wonder about what the (explative) they are doing.. Cus it sure aint saving pennies..

-Charz

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-04-29 12:28   
NASA is no longer(unless they changed their mind) going to make Shuttles as they are too expensive.. Going back to the rockets

Nonthought
Cadet

Posted: 2007-04-29 13:07   
Ha, now I have the image of companies like Virgin doing contracts for NASA because they can do it cheaper

Ramius
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2007-04-29 14:40   
Actually, that's probably going to happen in the next few years. Capitalism always drives development more than a single government initiative. By privatizing space, you make a competition for corporations to come up with faster, more economic, and more efficient solutions to increase profits.

It's already starting to take off (no pun intended.)

Email Ramius
$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-04-29 14:58   
That's no moon...

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-04-29 15:41   
From Fight Club:

When deep space exploration ramps up, it will be corporations that name everything. The IBM Stellar Sphere. The Microsoft Galaxy. Planet Starbucks.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-04-30 14:32   
MMmmmmmm.... A planet full of Starbucks.... Oh, you mean the Coffee. Nvm.

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-30 14:45   
I can imagine it now......*2170* MANKIND CONQURES NEW WORLD! MICROSOFT CLONE #88 BILL GATES CLAIMS BIGGEST ACHIEVMENT IN MICROSOFT KIND!"

On a serious note: We are beyond screwed if we dont manage to get our butts off the surface of the earth for two reasons; A. we'll kill ourselves. B. we;ll screw our planet up so bad itll look like venus.

Dont believe me? ask stephen hawking

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-04-30 14:53   
MMmmmmm.... Venus..... Oh, you mean the planet. Nvm.

seriously though, Venus is a good planet. You just kind of have to put a giant plate of mirror between it and the sun and how expensive could that be?

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-04-30 15:31   
Quote:

On 2007-04-30 14:53, Kanman *FC* wrote:
MMmmmmm.... Venus..... Oh, you mean the planet. Nvm.

seriously though, Venus is a good planet. You just kind of have to put a giant plate of mirror between it and the sun and how expensive could that be?

i agree a temperature of about 450 degrees of C is a bit to hot to live on.
but i have to say instaid of that mirror you might invest more in a fully armored space suit and additional protections.
The atmosphere is 90 times as dence as ours, consists of 96% of Carbon dioxide.
But feel free to inhail that planets atmosphere all you want.

Thinking about traveling and setteling on other planets may sound nice, but the harch reality even if a planet may look like earth.
Human colonization capable and or conditions required to support live are both two diferent things.
Venus, Mars, Europa (moon) and this new discoverd planet, the all might support life.
the question about CAN we go there is just as questionable as CAN we survive there.

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-04-30 16:36   
The reason its so hot is because the atmosphere is so dense, as I understand it. Similar to why its colder the higher up a mountain you go, less atmospheric pressure. The more compacted the air molecules are the more they retain heat. Same reason why sand is so hot in the day & so cool at night.

Bleed some of the atmosphere off into outer space and theres a pretty good chance Venus could be habitable... assuming we gain the technology to colonize it, convert the atmosphere into more oxygen based, & bleed off said atmosphere...

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2007-04-30 17:27   
well we CAN bleed off the atmosphere by pushing a NEA close to venus using a gravity tractor on a relatively large spacecraft, of course they would have to use exact calculations in order to ensure that it passes at the exact location it needs to to pull off the required amount of atmosphere. That and if u missed by by venus... Eh humans are too lazy to invest in something that simple

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-04-30 18:18   
that wouldnt work veron. If we were to send something flying out away from our sun at very high speed, if we fail to give it enough energy, even at great distances it will slowly come to a stop and fall ALL THE LIVE LONG WAY back down into the solar system. The same thing would happen with an asteroid around venus. Venus is the largest heavy body around for a good long ways, so your asteroid would have to obtain (very very little) atmophere and then travel out away from venus far enough and fast enough to somehow dump the payload where it would not just fall back into the venus' orbital path.

Short answer: it would be ineffective unless done on a scale that will be impossible to achieve for at least another century.

To be honest, I cannot think of any way to substanially alter its atmosphere. I considered compression and burial, but that solution would fail, as the high surface temperature would just make the compressed (cold) atmophere contained heat up until it broke free back into the open. We dont have any technology powerful enough to blast air into the sun or anything without it just slowing and falling back down to the planet.

A good strong solar pulse (such as the one we can expect when the sun dies and collapses) would toss the atmophere off the planet blowing salt off a table, but the planet would liquify for a couple billion years. Anyone else have any ideas that arent too scifi?

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-04-30 19:02   
/me calls in Mega-Maid

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025866 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR