No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » WoW, Serious business.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author WoW, Serious business.
-RevenG-

Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-05-02 16:17   
"Bronco Carson, a World of Warcraft player from Mexico, reported to police on Saturday that three men broke into his home and beat his arms with clubs and totalled his computer. The reason? Carson had been repeatedly ganking the WoW character of the wife of one of his assailants.

Carson reportedly told police that he had been "making it hard for her to get far in the game." The woman had already threatened Carson online, and Carson said that he had already been constantly harassed in-game two weeks prior to the attack.

And then Carson made the mistake of giving the woman his address, telling the woman that "if her husband was man enough to just come meet me to settle this."

The result? Carson got two broken fingers and a fractured wrist during the assault. His computer and entertainment center were also totalled by his three attackers before they left. "I knew that I might be messed with in the game but I didn't really expect her husband to come looking for me," said Carson. "I couldn't have been more wrong."

Now let this be a lesson to everybody. Taunting people behind the relative safety of the Internet may be fun, but don't be stupid enough to give out your real home address. If you do, then it's a whole new ballgame."

Stupid to give the address out. Hope they find the guys that did it. The Ganker got ganked though.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-05-02 16:23   
I've actualy had threats against me because of my Rogue Gankage.. Now I'm scared.

Email Supertrooper
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-05-02 17:20   
Never hapend to me.
But i have to say, you realy gota be stupid to give your own address away even if the person is telling that it is living on the other side of the planet.

In anny case i already am using and sugesting to you.
1 Find a devious alias coresponding with a lovely address in a country no one would want to live in.
2 Keep a address book with people who hate you in real life.
3 In case a I-net offender already got hold of where you live e.g. country, region or city use the address book.

P.s. the people in your address book may not be people you know to wel or people who know you to wel.
Some one knocking on there door asking for a nickname the know realy could ruwen even these simple rules/sugestions.

Welcome to a life of mutial trust and understanding, In reverse.

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-05-02 17:33   
HAHAHAHHAH!

Reminds me of a story from back in my Asheron's Call days.

Pair of teenagers goto a net cafe, and they see someone playing AC - it was a pretty unheard of game at the time so they were like "Oh cool, lets go say hello!" & they do and they get to chatting and soon realize that the guy they're talking to is a walking peen0r, they ask his character name & sure enough he names a character that is a known griefer thief and all around A-Hole. Kids like 14 & the other guys are 16 and 17 IIRC, so they wait outside the mall for the kid to come out and beat the living snot out of him.

I think they had charges pressed against them but don't remember much... they kinda squashed the whole story on the VN boards shortly after it was known

Score one for "Live & Let live" players!

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-05-02 17:38   
maybe that will teach him to be a better person.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-05-02 17:49   
Quote:

On 2007-05-02 17:38, Kanman *FC* wrote:
maybe that will teach him to be a better person.

Nothing justifies violence.

What happens in a game, stays in a game. People who take it too seriously to go and do something about deserve worse. A game is a game, and people need to remember that.

He may be an ass online, but I'd rather beat the hell out of him there - legally - then find myself with 5 years in prison for assault and battery.

Make your choice.

As for the WoW thing, I hope they catch those three guys. Too bad they make a bad example for the rest of us, like we really need video games getting any more bad spotlights on it...

-Ent

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-05-02 21:13   

Captain Splendid
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2007-05-03 01:30   
Bad, but nothing compared to murdering someone for their in-game item. I remember hearing about that a couple of years back.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-05-03 09:31   

icansee
Cadet

Posted: 2007-05-03 09:33   
ouch thats really bad.. someone took the internet too seriously

Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2007-05-03 09:53   
I spose these days the Internet is taken as real life for many people, Especially some extreme gamers who's daily lives are dominated by the Internet/Gaming.

Its a form of escapism for what ever reason, But what happens on the Internet should stay, But that guy deserved a good boot up the ass, maybe not as harshly, but both sides took it far too seriously.

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-05-03 11:40   
Call me crazy, but I for one don't see the problem with this... if you grief a person in real life, chances are you're gonna get a punch in the melon.. i don't see why the internet should be any different. You aggravate other people at YOUR OWN RISK.... whether the person on the other end of the screen is mother theresa or charlie manson, you just don't know. It's really not that hard, politeness and common courtesay = keeping all your teeth in real life. It's a shame that some people don't have the intelligence to carry over their moral values onto the net...

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2007-05-03 12:44   
agreed!

Hawk™
Cadet

Posted: 2007-05-03 14:03   
My opinion... dude is smart enough to give out his actual adress after threats have already made against him... and I have no problem with ganking, but when you single one low level player out and start following them around and constantly harass them... He Deservered It

Email Hawk™
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-05-03 14:24   
Quote:

On 2007-05-03 11:40, Devils Advocate wrote:
Call me crazy, but I for one don't see the problem with this... if you grief a person in real life, chances are you're gonna get a punch in the melon.. i don't see why the internet should be any different. You aggravate other people at YOUR OWN RISK.... whether the person on the other end of the screen is mother theresa or charlie manson, you just don't know. It's really not that hard, politeness and common courtesay = keeping all your teeth in real life. It's a shame that some people don't have the intelligence to carry over their moral values onto the net...

See thats where you're making the wrong connection.. if you grief someone in real life you get your ass kicked in real life. You grief someone in game you get your ass kicked ingame.

Shows the maturity of some people.. not yet able to distinguish between the two realms of reality and gaming.

People should carry morales, and simple common courtesy to the online part of daily life, but people forget also that when you get behind a computer screen you're just another faceless entity, so often people forget themselves. But see.. thats online, and then they get offline and hey there, their different, why?

Because they, at least, know the difference. Those who don't dont last long in the world.

Is it right what he did online? No, but neither is going to someones house and destroying their properity and their ligaments. Two wrongs may make you feel better but it doesn't make you right. If someone makes your life miserable in a game then you are taking the game too seriously. Its a game, if you're not having fun. play something else. Or if you're that determined, get high level and turn the tables.

If I persue a certain player in DS because they're an annoying git, does that justify them coming to my house and blowing it up? If I dictor a bomber, does that give them the right to punch holes in my car tires? Does it justify anything? Do I deserve it? Its the same thing, the same concept. A game is a game.

Now my personal view? He probably did it because he know he was getting to her, but like the rest of us don't expect actual physical reprecussions.

We expect them to get high level one day and kick our arse back - or at least normal people do. There are several RPGs I've played where I've destroyed some new guy over and over just to chuckle in amusement at how much they spam me with various obscenities just to wait a month or two for them to be at my level too, and manage to kill me. Do I complain? Do I go to their house and beat them with a bat and destroy their valuables?

Think about it. In a game things are not real. People are, things aren't. You can always start again on another character. You can always change servers. If you die, you can always revive. That spawn is still going to be there when you do. That quest will still be there to finish.

I play games to escape reality. I don't play games to have the constant fear that someone might get aggrevated at some small action of mine and decide to come to my house and settle it for real, where the stakes are much higher than a few virtual pixels.

Nothing justifies real-life violence. Nothing.

-Ent

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022692 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR