No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Computer ? for you cpu nerds
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Computer ? for you cpu nerds
Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2007-05-02 23:15   
I'm looking to get a new computer. I want to get one that is currently better than my:

AMD 1.3 Ghz
512 RAM

The two possibilities so far are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+

Pentium® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)

Which one is the faster cpu? Most games I have or would like to get...I'm mainly limited by my current cpus speed, and to a lesser extent video card and ram. Some lil info I came across says the former mentioned is like 2.0ghz (1.96).... Does that mean 3800 is simply 2 1.9ish chips together? I'm at a loss figuring it out.

\"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it,
and feed the charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.\" - Capt. John Sheridan

Email Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2007-05-03 00:01   
i think that AMD has more FSB id go with that one

Id go to Toms hardware online and check it out though.

Email Challenger
LAG
Marshal
Lethal Assault Group

Posted: 2007-05-03 00:30   
Microsoft products are overpriced. AMD is better bang for the buck in my opinion. Take a look on the web for pentium vs. amd processors (don't have a handy website link for you, sorry...). Now, on the other hand, pentium products hold up better when overclocked (don't recommend doing it though). A third option is a Mac, but be prepared for a learning curve if you haven't used one. They are great once you get the hang of em, not to mention all that update/fix crap from microsoft products will go away. I currently own a Pentium IV w/ 2.8 Ghz and 256 MB ram and it works fine w/ DS. That being said, it will be the last overpriced pentium product I purchase if I have a say so in the matter.

Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2007-05-03 00:44   
Mac? Last time I even touched one of those I was learing to type in grade school (almost 20 years ago)....

I'll check that one site. I'm not too concerned that Pentium being a bit less than AMD or such, since I've been lagging so far behind in having a cpu fast enough to last me awhile...owned a 1.4 when the games I wanted required that as an absoulte minimum and a 1.8 or so recommended. I'd like to get one that has the speed to last 5 years more or so of game devlopment....atm though... since I'm looking at my options...

is that dual core 3800 or is the 2.8ghz in the other option faster? Just knowing that will help break down my options more...

I'll be back on after work to check responses

\"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it,

Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2007-05-03 01:15   
A friend of mine says buy the E6600 and overclock it to E6700 standards, Intel have got the Dual core market so might as well go there for the power etc, Even if your a loyal AMDist.

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
Reeves-81
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-05-03 02:48   
Id go amd its a good platform for gaming "better that the pentium D" I have had my share of cpus both intel and amd and I perfer the amd for gaming by far, I just yesterday upgraded my cpu from an "Athlon 64 3800+ @ 4100+ single Orleans core, and in the benchmarks I could get just abot the same out of the cpu in the benchmarks as a Pentium D, Plus the entire Memory conroller is better with an X2 3800+ you could easily bump up the fsb by 15-20MHz and get that thing up around 2.3GHz, with a bit of work you can get 2.4 out of them "normally just bumping up the ram voltage will take care of that" anyway, thats just my opinion

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.6GHz 1MB L2 cache per core "windsor cores"
@5600+ 2.8GHz
1 GB 512x2 Dual Channel DDR2 ram PC4200 "533Mhz ":( " @565MHz" w/coolers
Enermaxx Liberty dual rail 400W madular PSU
Thermaltake Blue LED case fans and a blue cathode tube
Lightscribe DVD burner
Radeon X1600 Pro 500/405 @ 620/432 512MB
SATA2 200 GB Maxtor HDD
ASUS M2NPV-VM Mobo

[ This Message was edited by: Reeves-81 on 2007-05-04 05:13 ]

\"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.\"
--Thomas Jefferson

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-05-03 04:11   
Pentium D's suck. Go with the AMD X2.

Oh, and they overclock just fine LAG.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2007-05-03 04:11 ]

Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2007-05-03 20:15   
So from the sound of things...the 3800 is faster than claimed 2.8 the other shows...or more efficient anyways. No offense but half of half of what was said I didnt understand...I'm not THAT computer literate. Sorry for repeating myself but just wanting to be sure I understand this part correctly. AMD 3800 > Pentium 2.8g?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-05-03 20:49   
Quote:

On 2007-05-03 20:15, E.A.S. Agamemnon wrote:
So from the sound of things...the 3800 is faster than claimed 2.8 the other shows...or more efficient anyways. No offense but half of half of what was said I didnt understand...I'm not THAT computer literate. Sorry for repeating myself but just wanting to be sure I understand this part correctly. AMD 3800 > Pentium 2.8g?

X2 3800+ = 2*1.9Ghz
Pentium D = 2*1.4Ghz

Simple math.

RagAnok
Admiral

Posted: 2007-05-03 20:58   
as jack said go the x2 you wont regret it:)

BTW what kind of graphics card are you looking at getting?

bang for buck i recommend this one
http://www.powercolor.com/main_product_detail.asp?id=134

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1035/powercolor_radeon_x1950pro_with_arctic_cooling/index.html%3Cbr%3E

[ This Message was edited by: RagAnok on 2007-05-03 21:08 ]

Telekinesis, thats what you need, just lay back and let your mind do the walking

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-05-03 23:08   
Aye, X1950 Pro's are the best mid-range currently. They sell for about $200, which is relativly cheap for a slightly slower version of the new X1950XT's. Also worth noting that they're more powerful than the old X1800XT and X1900Xt's, but are half the price.

And I say "mid-range", but it's technicaly just a very cheap high-end card, that'll be able to run almost anything you throw at it.

Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2007-05-03 23:35   
Okay. I bit the bullet. Did a recheck and was able to customize a 4000 the way I want and actually had a few better things and slightly less cost than the way the 3800 was turning out. Not sure how that was...then again the monitor for the 4k cost $230 compared to 160 on the 3800...alrdy got decent monitor ;P

Ill just be happy to be able to play the things I want with the settings maxed: IE maybe 63 AIs and ME in BF1942....this cpu and my other one that died could only manage 32 at most and that was with some heftily annoying slowdown...course if I can get DSL so much the sweeter...

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-05-04 00:28   
Quote:

On 2007-05-03 23:35, E.A.S. Agamemnon wrote:
Okay. I bit the bullet. Did a recheck and was able to customize a 4000 the way I want and actually had a few better things and slightly less cost than the way the 3800 was turning out. Not sure how that was...then again the monitor for the 4k cost $230 compared to 160 on the 3800...alrdy got decent monitor ;P

Ill just be happy to be able to play the things I want with the settings maxed: IE maybe 63 AIs and ME in BF1942....this cpu and my other one that died could only manage 32 at most and that was with some heftily annoying slowdown...course if I can get DSL so much the sweeter...

Uh... I don't think you understand just how powerful the processor you just purchased is...

63 bots in BF1942 is like playing tetris on your current machine....

Bare in mind you need a powerful graphics card to cope with max settings. The processor doesn't do anything in that department anymore, in any game.

Reeves-81
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-05-04 05:27   
4000+ is a decent chip for sure but theres a fair jump im speed when you get to a 4600+ I went with the 5200+ cause I wanted the large cache. Again if your mobo supports it they'll overclock nicely "depending on your ram of course" but the single 3800+ and the Dual 5200+ takes 220MHz for a fsb without any problem I'm bringing mine up slowly, 216MHz right now, "be sure to bump up the ram voltage from 1.8-1.9v"My current ram can only handle about 222-225MHz fsb" but thats pretty good for Hynix cheapy ram" I could mess with the timings and get a bit more out of it but Im happy with it for now.
l8r

\"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.\"
--Thomas Jefferson

Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2007-05-04 20:41   
Since I have no idea how Tetris would play on my current machine....I was using that as a figure of speech. 24-32 would run on my current one but with hefty slowdown when theres lots going on...course my video card is an antiquated GeForce2 64mb and only has 512 ram...

The cpu I getting will have a GeForce 7300 256MB and 1GB ram....Also I'm sure I could have gotten a much faster processor, but I'm on a tight budget, even tighter now since it the manufacturer didnt accept the installment plan and hit me with a lump sum. It didnt eat every dime I had...took a good size chunk out...and annoyedly aggravated me. Thats what I get for not asking the right questions BEFORE the actual purchase....oh well...at least its only 500 dollars and not 1k...or I'd be royally FUBARed.

Payed 500 for my current cpu when my other bit the dust. Got it from one of the local small time cpu/related items stores. It was one he had made for his mother...she didnt want it...it was on hand and I needed one. The graphics card was a very strangely and defintely old 16mb card of some name I never heard of...so I just pulled the card from the dead cpu and put it in. This cpu installed its own drivers for the card..since couldnt find (or would have been EXTREMELY hard to find anyway) a compatible driver. What the hell..it worked...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022282 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR