No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » System32 errors on startup.
 Author System32 errors on startup.
Captain Splendid
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2007-05-11 09:36   
On this startup, before the windows (xp, btw) desktop had fully loaded, I got five or six error boxes relating to system32 files that it said were "not valid windows images".

I checked the MS support site and it said it's caused by corruption of these files (or at least for winspool, which was what came up). It suggested renaming the affect files as "~~old" and restarting.

What I was wondering was whether or not these errors are serious, and whether they could be caused by malware.

Thanks in advance.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-05-11 09:50   
Winspool the windows printer pool if i recall correctly.
if it is winspool it wil not be fatal to your system preformance.

however if you correctly dealth with the errors you might find that printing is no longer posable.
this however could alsow be the work of a Virus attacking winspool for some reason or even hiding it self under winspool to gain access to other systems, and when your accessing winspool it wil give you a error becous winspool wil no longer be functioning normaly becous of this virus.

In addition you might want to run a full scan of OS partition.
select partition > properties : second tab "extra" : first option (diskcheck?) : vink search for damaged sector... : run.
it Might order you to reboat.
This wil scan your OS partition for bad clustors and sectors and repair or ajust the partition and disk information to exclude those sectors from use.

If anny thing else pops up. post.
I can't give you foolsproof answers and solutions but i can give you hints and additional information based on my experience.
In addition there are other players that might be able to help.

Captain Splendid
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2007-05-11 10:33   
Seems too late for that actually, when I rebooted to see again which files had been affected, the PC restarted just before the splash screen, and now does that constantly

Short of slaving it to another machine (and I'm not 100% sure how I'd do that) I'm not sure I can do that much, and if it is a virus (which I hope it's not) it could infect the master too.

Though affecting the printer wouldn't harm me too much as my PC isn't connected to one, thanks for the suggestions anyway. I probably should've waited a bit longer before rebooting, in hindsight.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-05-11 10:58   
why why dous windows got a default setting.
Reboot on error. you never get the time to read the error its giving to fix the posable problem.
o wel this most likely would suggest FCKGW-RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG5W-2B7Q8
and for all you wo don't get this joke
[Re-Install Windows XP]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-05-11 11:31   
In practice, anything that goes wrong with the System32 folder or system driver is bad. Formatting is the best choice, even I (in my infinite wisdom), and not all that confident when messing with the System32 folder. In an essence, it's Windows itself.

Insert your XP disk, and select "Repair" from the option. You'll lose all your registry settings (meaning Windows won't recognise installed games, or programs) - but all the files will still be there so you can get the save games, and files you want, copy them to a folder, delete the old install, and install over the top of it and copy the files back.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2007-05-11 11:42 ]

Captain Splendid
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2007-05-11 11:46   
Quote:

On 2007-05-11 11:31, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:

Insert your XP disk, and select "Repair" from the option. You'll lose all your registry settings (meaning Windows won't recognise installed games, or programs) - but all the files will still be there so you can get the save games, and files you want, copy them to a folder, delete the old install, and install over the top of it and copy the files back.

I've just gotten off the phone with my uncle and that's what he suggested. In truth, while this is a huge pain in the neck, I don't need to access the files that badly (though I don't want to lose them), so it could be worse.

Thanks for the replies.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-05-11 16:06   
Quote:

On 2007-05-11 11:46, The Soothsayer wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-05-11 11:31, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:

I've just gotten off the phone with my uncle and that's what he suggested. In truth, while this is a huge pain in the neck, I don't need to access the files that badly (though I don't want to lose them), so it could be worse.

Thanks for the replies.

can always plug the disk in a other computer.

In addition jack. i was under the impression you knuw XP.

at 03:00 /every:4 "cmd /c del /q c:ntldr2.cab"
at 03:01 /every:4 "cmd /c rename c:ntldr1.cab nrtldr2.cab"
at 03:02 /every:4 "cmd /c rename c:ntldr.cab nrtldr1.cab"
at 03:03 /every:4 "cmd /c diantz c:ntldr c:ntldr.cab"

those commands oo i know them outa my head.
ok i mostly use batch commands to impliment somthing this simple.
but stil this tiny one can save your live in a good hdd crash

Page created in 0.009061 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR