No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +11.4 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Great game, but...
 Author Great game, but...
PredaGR
Commander

Posted: 2007-05-27 13:54   
great game, really great game, but not all aspects of it are good

1st and most important, low active player count, it is a vast empty space, something must be done to lure more players that play, one way is to allow free players more options, like the small supplies and engineer ship, also not gaining ranks just discourages them, just keep heavy ships and superweapons for paying players

2nd why need of game money, no one needs it really because everyone is filthy rich, it just there to excuse the buy and upgrade of equipment, could be replaced by ship value a player can own and just recall a ship design for that value, that leads to next annoyance

3rd why there is no ship save, do we have to rebuild each time? either way if there is no technology they will not get the equipment when they spawn so they will have to build buildings to access stuff

4th why do the whole server population must see what is going on to the whole universe, this causes alot of lag

I could add more annoyances but they personal likes or dislikes and not so important, other than that the game is great!

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-05-27 14:40   
Quote:

1st and most important, low active player count, it is a vast empty space, something must be done to lure more players that play, one way is to allow free players more options, like the small supplies and engineer ship, also not gaining ranks just discourages them, just keep heavy ships and superweapons for paying players

Unfortunately, from past experience, having Engineers available for unsubscribed players opened the game up to a lot of abuse. I do agree with allowing more options for free players, however, but they have to be very carefully balanced.
The development team have some idea's on the table to address this in the future.

Quote:

2nd why need of game money, no one needs it really because everyone is filthy rich, it just there to excuse the buy and upgrade of equipment, could be replaced by ship value a player can own and just recall a ship design for that value, that leads to next annoyance

There are currently no money sinks in the game. We introduced the automatic insurance with the intention that players would only get back about 90% of the value of a ship on death. The way the current upgrade system works though caused us to delay this change until we could rework it, as earning money is an issue to begin with.
When we release the next version, there is likely to be a credit wipe, or credit reduction, on everyones profile along with the changes to how the in-game economy works.

Quote:

3rd why there is no ship save, do we have to rebuild each time? either way if there is no technology they will not get the equipment when they spawn so they will have to build buildings to access stuff

This is something that has already been addressed in the 1.484 test version. It will generally take a little bit longer to go around and find the particular upgrades you want, but stock ships will be a lot more viable for use in the game. Only certain planets will be able to provide some upgrades, and it is likely factions will be constantly fighting for control of these.

To go with this we are introducing a salvage system. When you die in a ship, it is returned to your garage at only 5% hull and full systems damage, and you lose an amount of credits relevant to the ships current value. this is essentially a ship save feature. The only way to lose a particular layout, one that you might have spent a few days tweaking, will be to delete it yourself.

Quote:

4th why do the whole server population must see what is going on to the whole universe, this causes alot of lag

The concept we were going for with versions 1.481-1.483 was a seamless universe (the Uni-server). The problem is that although the back-end code is solid, and works very well, we cannot afford the necessary hardware on which to run it. It requires some pretty sophisticated multi-core/multi-processor servers to handle the data throughput, and it is only recently that the kind of systems necessary to actually run the back-end have been approaching anywhere near affordable limits. This in itself is an issue, because DarkSpace doesn't really make enough money to buy them.

What we have decided to do is revert DarkSpace back to an older-style server model, with all the good parts of the Uni-server. This means that we will be going back to a model where solar systems are linked by jump gates which in turn are transition points between servers. This will mean a return of the loading screen, although it will only take about 20-30 seconds to load a zone. We are not clear right now as to how big each zone will be, but it is possible that each may encompass a cluster of 2-3solar systems, with internal gates, which are then linked to other clusters by the trans-server gates.

The drawback of this is that we have to sacrifice the seamless universe, but it also does remove the inter-zone synchronization issues that occur in 1.483. we will also be 'nerfing' the wormhole drives so that you cannot use them to jump between systems. this will be relegated to playing a more tactical role.

The overall effect? We will have a much more tactical game, a very much simplified upgrade/modding system, and a return to the front line warfare that made DarkSpace so much fun in the past.

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2007-05-27 14:43 ]

Goto the website of Drafell
Rogue Spear
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-05-27 15:05   
Thank you very much Drafell for taking the time to answer his question, you answered alot of my questions too.

PredaGR
Commander

Posted: 2007-05-27 15:51   
Quote:

Quote:

The concept we were going for with versions 1.481-1.483 was a seamless universe (the Uni-server). The problem is that although the back-end code is solid, and works very well, we cannot afford the necessary hardware on which to run it. It requires some pretty sophisticated multi-core/multi-processor servers to handle the data throughput, and it is only recently that the kind of systems necessary to actually run the back-end have been approaching anywhere near affordable limits. This in itself is an issue, because DarkSpace doesn't really make enough money to buy them.

What we have decided to do is revert DarkSpace back to an older-style server model, with all the good parts of the Uni-server. This means that we will be going back to a model where solar systems are linked by jump gates which in turn are transition points between servers. This will mean a return of the loading screen, although it will only take about 20-30 seconds to load a zone. We are not clear right now as to how big each zone will be, but it is possible that each may encompass a cluster of 2-3solar systems, with internal gates, which are then linked to other clusters by the trans-server gates.

The drawback of this is that we have to sacrifice the seamless universe, but it also does remove the inter-zone synchronization issues that occur in 1.483. we will also be 'nerfing' the wormhole drives so that you cannot use them to jump between systems. this will be relegated to playing a more tactical role.

The overall effect? We will have a much more tactical game, a very much simplified upgrade/modding system, and a return to the front line warfare that made DarkSpace so much fun in the past.

and why not create a bubble (bounding box) around the player and whatever enters that bubble starts sending data to the player? it is basic colision detection and you can set it at around 20Kgu in example, many online games work this way to reduce the overall bandwidth, you already do planet colision detect for each game object

[ This Message was edited by: PredaGR*R1* on 2007-05-27 15:53 ]

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-05-27 16:00   
It already works like that.

DS uses a three stage system. Your local/immediate update zone (/focus) which is up to 5kgu by default, although you can reduce this in-game to as low as 1kgu by using the /focus command.
Then you have the extended update area which is about a 25kgu radius, this includes most planetary updates and ship locations, but at much reduced priority.
The third stage is the global update zone, which includes very basic information about everything else in the map.

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2007-05-27 16:01 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-05-27 16:13   
Quote:

On 2007-05-27 16:00, Drafell wrote:
It already works like that.

DS uses a three stage system. Your local/immediate update zone (/focus) which is up to 5kgu by default, although you can reduce this in-game to as low as 1kgu by using the /focus command.
Then you have the extended update area which is about a 25kgu radius, this includes most planetary updates and ship locations, but at much reduced priority.
The third stage is the global update zone, which includes very basic information about everything else in the map.

And even this only works on request (you need to click on an object outside of the detection zone to request its data, which is then cached.

Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2007-05-29 11:44   
Well, you can always count on Drafell to actually help you with a question in a understanding manner without a "snooty-know-it-all because I work for Darkspace" attitude. He always seems to give you a clear and to the point explaination without pointless details that only garble a message without insulting the fact you asked it in the first place.

Thanks Draf, a few questions of my own were spelled out here for me also.

Email Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)   Goto the website of Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-05-29 17:33   
SA... not only is that unwarrented, unwelcome, unhelpful, and unkind, it is also untrue.

For once in your DS "career" please stop being an "un", k? thnx.

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-05-29 17:44   
Quote:

On 2007-05-29 17:33, {S.W}Coeus wrote:
SA... not only is that unwarrented, unwelcome, unhelpful, and unkind, it is also untrue.

For once in your DS "career" please stop being an "un", k? thnx.

<3 you.

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-05-29 17:49   
hax!

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-05-30 00:27   
Quote:

On 2007-05-29 11:44, SANITY ASSASSIN wrote:
Well, you can always count on Drafell to actually help you with a question in a understanding manner without a "snooty-know-it-all because I work for Darkspace" attitude. He always seems to give you a clear and to the point explaination without pointless details that only garble a message without insulting the fact you asked it in the first place.

Thanks Draf, a few questions of my own were spelled out here for me also.

And we can count on you making pointless posts..

Email Supertrooper
Redemption (Angel of Light)
Grand Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2007-05-30 05:10   
the point i want to raise is, when it goes into the loading screen and your off to help some one its pointless to try, theres more odds tht you go to help some one and when its done loading that persons already died.

you think the universe is big, so why on this planet would you you think of dividing the universe. i have no lag on your servers until resets about 1hour away so i dont know what most are complainin about. the MV in my opinions perfect, plenty of systems to get lost in when your bored and billion of frequant air miles. my point is if you dont know why is it being changed, if its divided whats the point of a wh, its there as a safe and fast means of travel troughout the known universe ( last i checked also wormholes dont go to the theory of range ) so why make them worse.

The idea of money is not a value stamp on a pilots head, you think in the future things will be like startrek where there is no money being payed. if you lived and fought in a huge ship and kill many wouldnt you like to know your about to get a HUGE pay check to buy new stuff for your ship ( or lots of inapropriate things in shady alleys).

Email Redemption (Angel of Light)   Goto the website of Redemption (Angel of Light)
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-05-30 08:25   
The current form of the wormhole device breaks more elements of the game than it improves. It enables fleets to completely bypass systems without any form of prior organization or thought as to how to achieve their goal.

With the old 1.480 server model, you had to actually organize a team of people to work together if you wanted to penetrate or operate deeper than 1 systems beyond the front line. You would need blockade runners to secure the gates, supply ships for repairs, engineers to build, transports to keep up an infantry supply, and pretty much anything else required for a fleet to operate without external support.
With wormholes, all that need is negated. If you need assistance and are attacking the other side of the Metaverse, you can have instant reinforcements. Wormholes as they currently exist with the huge ranges break a massive segment of the gameplay of the DarkSpace game. The two choices are to make the gaps between systems bigger and create a larger universe (which requires more server to host) and keep the WHD as it is now, which remove the possibility of long-jumping, or cut down the range of the WHD. With cutting the range, we also effectively negate the need for a seamless universe.
You will still be able to near instantly transport to the other side of the universe, providing your faction has a shipyard there. Again, there will be a short loading time, although it shouldn't be close to how long it takes to join the current MV. Instead it will be about the time taken to join a Scenario (most of which can be skipped by pressing the space bar when you get the loading bar).

Page created in 0.041819 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR