No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Client Installation Issues (Hardware/Drivers) » » Cant get to lobby screen! please help
 Author Cant get to lobby screen! please help
Hios*P1*(Sentinel Angel)
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-16 13:59   
So I just put Windows Vista on my computer and when i did that now i cant play DS. The problem im having is when i click on the lobby button it goes to the update but after its done with that nothing happens... and i cant get in to the tutorial or setup ither... only thing that does work for me is the mission viewer and map editor. which btw whats the mission viewer for?

-Hios

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-07-16 14:08   
If you installed DS to Program Files, you need to run it with administrative rights.

Once you've done that, run SETUP, click ok, and then run it.

If you don't know how to run anything under administrative rights, google it (although to be honest, if you didn't know how to do it - you shouldn't of switched to Vista).

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2007-07-16 14:09 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-07-16 14:15   
Quote:

On 2007-07-16 14:08, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
you shouldn't of switched to Vista

I think thats all that needs to be said.

Hios*P1*(Sentinel Angel)
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-17 00:32   
ok first of all im the only one who uses it so i think its already in the administrative whatever... and thats a little harsh to say i shouldnt of switched besides thats my decision and thats off topic so dont bring up the fact you think vista sucks and please help me instead .....thanks

- Hios

Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-07-17 01:32   
Quote:

On 2007-07-16 14:08, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
(although to be honest, if you didn't know how to do it - you shouldn't of switched to Vista).

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2007-07-16 14:09 ]

that is one of the lamest things i've ever heard you say jack... don't assume that everyone has your level of computer knowledge... and to say this to a new user to boot...

ditto fattie...

you young adults these days seem to take for granted that there are people older than (or younger than for that matter) yourselves that don't have the operational knowledge of computers that you do. please try and diagnose instead of stating a most unhelpful unprofessional opinion.

[ This Message was edited by: Rae on 2007-07-17 01:33 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-07-17 04:35   
Rae - it was just advice. If he didn't know how to do it, then he's going to run into more problems than is worth it. If he didn't know this, then it probably is in his best interest to go back to his previous OS, as so he saves himself a lot of trouble.

I also never stated that Vista sucks (on the contrary, I am running it as well).

Also - just because you ran it doesn't mean it's running under administrative rights. Anything installed under Program Files is not allowed to write to there without permission. I'm guessing you have a basic version of Vista, where this is even more strict (as to stop you from installing software that can damage your machine).

First step towards solving this is to give it administrative rights, like I said. You can google on how to do this in detail, but the basics of it are just right clicking on all the DarkSpace EXE's, going to properties, and ticking "Run as administrator".

Alternativly, you can try installing it to C:PaleStarDarkSpace instead, as this should by-pass the Program Files problem. I just yesterday install DarkSpace onto my new machine with Vista, and I installed it straight to there, without any problems.

And FYI, you're going to need to do this on pretty much every single program you install to program files that isn't already on there, or needs to write to there (most people who do have now bypassed it by reading from the User directory to load settings).

To awnser your earlier question about the mission viewer - it's now defunct, and we'll probably remove it from DarkSpace in 1.484. It used to allow you to view missions though.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2007-07-17 04:45 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-07-17 11:10   
Quote:

On 2007-07-17 01:32, Rae wrote:
that is one of the lamest things i've ever heard you say jack... don't assume that everyone has your level of computer knowledge... and to say this to a new user to boot...

if you don't know how to operate your computer to make do what you want it to do (within reason), you shoudn't be using that computer/operating system.

Vista just sucks. XP is perfectly fine.

Nonthought
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-17 12:10   
Cue OS war.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-07-17 15:03   
Quote:

On 2007-07-17 11:10, Fattierob (x = (-b+y) / m) wrote:
Vista just sucks. XP is perfectly fine.

have i heard this annywhere but than with windows 98 / xp ??
o wel

on topic.
even if your a administrator in vista it won't run unknow programs as a administrator.
(virus prevention policy and sorts.)
just do what jack said, client.exe and all the other exe's in the darkspace folder change them so that the run in administrator mode.
that would be all.

Hios*P1*(Sentinel Angel)
Cadet

Posted: 2007-07-17 20:19   
I got it to work... but is there a permanent way to fix what programs you want to run in adminstrative....oh btw i couldnt use my old OS anyways... they dont sell it anymore and my computer didnt come with back up disks or ya.... and i have a media computer basically can watch tv/ listen to radio/ good for editing photos and such.... unfornately they dont sell that version of xp anymore.... so ya i had to go with vista... just so you all will stop bashing me on my choice.... even tho i dont remember asking any one if they thought vista was good or not.... i dont care what you think about my OS im still going to use it so stop bashing it....

Page created in 0.015308 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR