No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +4.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - James Bum007

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » The Admiral Server: Return To Glory
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author The Admiral Server: Return To Glory
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-08-31 23:55   
For those who don't like to read, let me summarize this real quick:

I have been absent for well over a year. Yet I keep coming back to play because this game offers much of what other similiar games do not. So, my proposal is:

1. Return the Admiral Server to what it was in the past (no SY needed to spawn ships, just Metals, i.e. the base resource), for 3 months. Advertise this...put it on a server that will really support 40 ships in one system.

2. The M.V. will continue as it is. It is the RPG spot for DS as the Admiral Server is the Arcade version.

That's the short version...

Here's the meat:

I played EVE for a year. It was pretty. It was complicated. Its combat system was a bit too realistic. Ships killing each other at 1,000,000 miles, and near instantly, though niftaly realistic, makes for crap game play.

Before that: I was Moderator at Darkspace. I Killed Rogue Spear (there is a post of that title in the archives), I even booted him when no one was looking. I played a lot. I even killed Faustus once (he was in a scout).

Why do I keep coming back? Well, they did name a planet after me...

But also because this game, with the correct number of players; is straight forward and fun and I have not yet found one that matches its easy gameplay.

So, to enhance these qualities?

I played this game back when the Admiral Server was hard to get into because the max capacity was 40. I think they were running two for a while to compensate for this. I also played in the MV.

And now I am back and playing in the MV again. Nothing has changed in the MV. Same player type and quantity. I get the same fix. The Admiral Server, on the other hand, is not as effective. A lot of new players go there in an attempt to level...but its slow and they can't learn much because its also sparsely populated.

What is missing is the short, intensive and bloody combat of the Admiral Server. Oh, I understand why it went away: to focus on the Metaverse. At the time I even agreed with idea.

However, I believe the two can co-exist.

The Admiral Server offered more than just a quick game; it offered a place where new players could learn, use new ships and level at a more generous pace. It also offered Veteran players a chance to kill these new players. Everyone was happy.

Bring back the Admiral Server to what it was: A one to two hour epic battle. A proving ground for the Metaverse. That's what I took from it and so did most other players that moved on to the Metaverse. It won't detract from the vision of this game, it will add to it by adding more players and more variety.

Try it out...see what happens.

BLACKHAWK(ENGLAND)
Cadet

Posted: 2007-09-01 00:05   
I Agree, something new and a proving grounds for noobs etc

-Signed-

-hawk
"03:01:01 Rogue Spear: When i first read Squad Broken, i thought Squad Broken was actually Rev's life story"

Email BLACKHAWK(ENGLAND)   Goto the website of BLACKHAWK(ENGLAND)
Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-09-01 00:18   
M.V is for RPG?

Damnit, wheres my Level 70 Epic +20 Gauss Cannon that does -43 Damage?

DarkSpin
Captain
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2007-09-01 00:39   
wel I do infact remember that but it is mostly faded in time I dont remember it clearly but it was indeed fun...

If it is possibe we should infact try it out it may yet actualy work

SIGNED DARKSPIN.

(' o ') - Website: DIAU.NET

Email DarkSpin   Goto the website of DarkSpin
-Smokey-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-09-01 00:43   
MONKEY.............That is all

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-09-01 02:32   
Due to the way we work with the DarkSpace assets when working on a next version, we can't roll back and "fix" the admiral server, as that would undo over a years worth of work.

The admiral server will probably be given a farewell when 1.484 comes out and works as intended.

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-09-01 03:13   
i wouldn't do that, Jack..what if the people wanting a quick battle instead of hanging in the MV all day waiting for one? if we go through with your idea, they would not have that option and be disgruntled. humans like veriety, Jack. keep that veriety, please?

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-09-01 06:45   
As already said no today but to ofthen.
The can't roll back.
And if the want a scenario without shipyards that would require creating seperate code for the MV and scenario and maby even more.
Do you want a update to 484 and later to expect a 485 or do you just want to create even more work for the dev's/coders?

Yes the idea is nice but i think your all turning a deaf ear to what the staff is telling.
(The scenario servers with the ShipYards is unballanced we all know that, heck the where never designed to work that way but the are stil there.)
The dev's are tryign to ballance the game as good as the can, but what is the game field is unballanced.
The most logical action would be to ballance the fields or to get rid of those unballanced game fields.
And since the MV is considerd to be one of the major gamefields in this game, the might better just close the scenario server.
(Why waste resources on multiple problems when resources are already low.)

And getting rid of the scenario servers new, dousn't mean the never wil come back!

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-09-01 08:40   
Well...

Bummer for that idea being so thoroughly and rapidly destroyed...

but...

Thanks for the rapidity of responding to the possibility (which is zero).

I know that by crushing my dreams you are making the client base of this game happy. At least I could contribute that to Darkspace...

BLACKHAWK(ENGLAND)
Cadet

Posted: 2007-09-01 08:46   
I'd be stright with you on this, We have waited YEARS for 484 and being in this current patch sucks and i need to say i dont mind waiting years for 485 as long as 484 is as good if not better than the 480 days.

To be honist most will agree with me on this, if 484 is good then we can wait for 485, look how long we have waited for 484 i think we could do it for 485 too only if 484 is the best it can bee.

-Hawk
"03:01:01 Rogue Spear: When i first read Squad Broken, i thought Squad Broken was actually Rev's life story"

Email BLACKHAWK(ENGLAND)   Goto the website of BLACKHAWK(ENGLAND)
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-09-01 12:52   
@Juxt and others who want Admiral:

We're trying to find a balance between the MV and admiral, without splitting the servers. This allows us to draft in Admiral to the MV and use it which allows us a lot more active zones. If what we envision works, then there will be no need for admiral, and the MV will act as both a short-term battleground and a long-term one.

Rogue Spear
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-09-01 17:21   
Granted I dont know much about programming, but I once saw Kamikaze Chicken convince Faustus that ganglias needed interdictor devices. I kid you not 30 minutes later I was getting dictored in the MV by Pizzathehut's Ganglia. So dont tell me it takes months to make changes. While im sure fixing admiral wouldnt be as easy surely you can take the old blueprints from .480 and make them on a server? I mean to be honest it doesnt seem that hard to me...

The Fleet Admiral server back in the day was exactly as Juxtapose stated, an area where you could get your quick fix of Darkspace combat, which is what made this game so great back in the day. The MV was there, and thats where what I considered the Elite players played. Imagine having 50 players on a server in 1 system, thats what Fleet Admiral was.... I remember the day they took it away....alot of players left.

As a person that works in customers service I am tought to cater to the customers needs, wether the customers are being idiots are not they are the money behind my paycheck. If the patch isnt gonna come out soon whatever, at least give us the Fleet Admiral server back so it can liven up this game for us.

Flame Away...

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-09-01 18:37   
A lot of us would love to see the Admiral server return to the best fun DS has ever seen, but its not gonna happen. They have a plan... just like GWB, they've gotta plan & they're gonna stay the course NimbyDamnit!

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2007-09-01 21:02   
actually i think it would be a good idea. adding something like the old admiral server may actually bring back more players than just releasing 484 on its own. i know many people who just dont feel that 484 will be worth coming back....which is not good..

so why not experiment a bit? u got some time (dont kill me)

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-09-02 00:51   
Quote:

On 2007-09-01 17:21, Rogue Spear wrote:
If the patch isnt gonna come out soon whatever, at least give us the Fleet Admiral server back so it can liven up this game for us.

I think alot of people would *love* to do that, Rogue

thje problem is, like backy stated before, is that the *code* for the .480 mv *no longer exists*.

you can't *rollback* to that far in darkspace patches. So, time spent making the admiral more arcade is time less spent on other things.

I totally have had the best experiences in the admiral server, besides hunting ships as k'luth in the MV. I would, personally love to see it back, but I don't think it's goign to happen. pray backy is right, and the MV is golden when .484 comes out.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.033488 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR