No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » The Admiral Server: Return To Glory
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
 Author The Admiral Server: Return To Glory
-RevenG-

Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-09-05 23:55   
Sythe, thank you for the scary image..

thundercat984
Cadet

Posted: 2007-09-06 00:05   
[quote]
On 2007-09-05 20:08, Fattierob (x2 Weeks™) wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-09-05 18:43, thundercat984 wrote:
Quote:

And at any given time how many are people are in beta? yea, 0 to 1.

Maybe, um, becasue the beta server is not ready for testing? good going kid. Stop trying to prove your flamboyant superiority in knowing nothing and trying to look "cool" and "intellegenct". You suggest things that *many* people have thought of (and, according to yourself, have already said) and have already said. Nothing you have said is new or groundbreaking. It's all been rehashed and flamed already.

also: Every dev has a thing against "hot fixes" to problems. The main reason this patch is taking "so long", from what I believe, is that faustus re-did the *whole* network side of things to combat the evil forces of LAG. (no, not the fleet).

So, no, it's not a bazooka to a house fly. it's a fly swatter to a house fly and then modeling the house at the same time.

Dude, I don't even know you, what's your problem are you looking for someone to hate or something? I mean, for the second time today you've picked out a part of my post and responded with something retarded. When I said beta has 0 to 1 people on it, I was refering to the last time beta was running. But hey you say betas not even running now, so my reply to the guy who posted "thats what beta is for duh" is even more valid as no beta=0 players, 0 falls in the range of 0 to 1 players on beta.

thundercat said:

but what do I know? Maybe, everything will turn out just fine and the MV will be fixed, key lime pie will fall from the sky, and a good time will be had by all. I love this game so I really do hope it works, it's just the idea of making a whole new version instead of fixing this one seems like a bad idea to me.

Kinda curious what exactly is flameboyant about that? Also, as far as flames goes, you seem to be the only one that is really trying to stoke the fires.

@sythe oops...Sorry 'bout that was thinking of the ugto player skyth, who because of you has to keep telling people there is no "e" on the end of his name:).

Email thundercat984
jedi42
Grand Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2007-09-06 20:36   
Quote:
"The Fleet Admiral server back in the day was exactly as Juxtapose stated, an area where you could get your quick fix of Darkspace combat, which is what made this game so great back in the day. The MV was there, and thats where what I considered the Elite players played. Imagine having 50 players on a server in 1 system, thats what Fleet Admiral was.... I remember the day they took it away....alot of players left. "

I've never really officially returned to DS since FA went offline. Been waiting to see if some insta-combat server ever returned (which is why I still check in from time to time). I don't care if it is done in the capacity of a separate FA server, the MV, or whatever, but I would like to see a way for the combat deaths to be devalued slightly which encourages combat. The one great thing about the old-school play style I remember is that if you were good you could lose a couple of ships to make an impact on a battle and not have to worry so much about the prestige, because the gains while doing it nearly offset the losses. Now, it seems the financial/prestige loss is so significant, that no one can "take the lead" and get a small group of people to influence the tides of the battle. Plus, since not many people play, it is difficult to find people to do anything with on your own side, much less find some people willing to put their prestige on the line to play a few skirmishes (ala FA-style).

The two decisions in DS's long history I most disagree with were ditching FA-style play and not figuring out a way to get the MV to behave similarly (or at least vaguelly the same at certain times depending on who was playing) and increasing the prestige/money required for losing ships, effectively making everyone too scared to lose ships.

I still remember huge battles where we'd get missile dreads in the back, firing volleys while the main assault force would try to counter enemy fighters/missiles, who were also protected by their own force. And there was always one guy who would pull out a station and jump in when things got too hot for the missile groups and/or their was a stalemate of sorts. Then the other group(s) would do the same and there'd be a massive battle with supplies huddled under the stations, the stations behaving like a depot with wounded cruisers and dreads pulling up to get some of that sweet green love. hehe At the same time, there'd be engineers going like crazy building up depots and defensive infrastructure to establish retreat-points for the wounded. Then there'd be a bomber group, consisting of a bomber and a supply ship flying around pestering the enemy engineers. A couple of guys would be on the ready to defend the planets while the main battle was slow, etc. Eventually, one or more sides would wear down, their PD would get busted through as their energy was being drained by the constant barrages, and the war would change to either retreat/hunt or just all out combat. Or a planet would get capped that was important / etc.

Insane stuff, and really engaging, but it was only within the capacity of several MV situations, where there were enough people on to balance and create these mini-FA environments within the MV or it almost always happened in the FA server. Depending on the map, the pros knew where the big conflict and subconflicts would be, the usual tactics, etc. Always fast and engaging, even if the games and rivalries lasted for 4-8 hours on a given day.

Another reason I enjoyed FA's timer-based/reset-style of play was because people felt obligated at the beginning of the map to do something useful. Build, bomb, cap, defend, etc. So there'd always be people nearby doing something and counters for that could be put into place. Sadly, when you run across people in the MV they are doing one thing or the other: building or bombing. FA *forced* people into the other roles, which once there is a relative stasis in the MV there is no use for. It's so much fun to fly around a planet in a dessy gaurding your engineer, knowing that within 5 minutes there will be someone there either bombing or coming to fight you and that engineer. Or to head out in a frigate bomber and peg little structures avoiding the laser-range of a building engineer. Or what about pestering a giant enemy fleet in a generic scout... not because you want to, but because you had to, since all the planets were capped by the enemy and you simply didn't have many ship options and couldn't think of anything better to do. I mean, many tactics still used by people today came from that old-school FA server. And probably would have never came about due to the sheer lack of interaction in the MV.

... I guess my point is that there are different levels of play and many of them are lost (to me) in a prolonged somewhat static metaverse. And I look forward to seeing whatever anyone comes up with for DS in the future. I just hope one day there is something that allows people to experience the entireity of the "DS Experience" from scouts all the way up to their current rank in <4 hours.

... enough reminiscing.

[ This Message was edited by: dj42 {C?} on 2007-09-06 21:09 ]
jedi42, darkjedi42, [drunk], hoid o' toitles, evil, rum, cl2k drainer, gdi, {C?}, hive teets, fusion mating, perfect cloud formation, death star, point jump, tractor scout, torp det, def cluster, cloaked elf

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-09-07 01:34   
Quote:
Dude, I don't even know you

More than enough reason to shut up and listen to what he says, 'cause hes not biased by personal feelings towards you, because if you don't know him then he doesn't know you and the ONLY thing he has to respond to is the posts themselves. And beond that, shut up and listen 'cause Rob knows what hes talking about.

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-09-07 02:47   
my 2 Cents

484 will not bring back what 480 had...sure 484 will bring back combat and less bombing but at what cost? 480 to me introduced the swapping of one factions tech for anothers tech, and thats what made this game unique to me.

so...if you take away all that..it gets boring...if you use your own factions tech..theres nothing special...just the same ol grinding....Now i know yer gonna tell me to shut up but hear me out...i know the next patch is supposed to bring back "skill" to this Game but i think you can learn skill through exploring each others tech and finding out weaknesses thats how i see it...

Now see, I dont mind the upgrading, the Torp MD's, and the Pcannons, but what should be really fixed is the bombing bugs, the lag, and the ED/PD Pcannon ships, Just get rid of those ships...484 should be fine..but no...you have to revitalise the system by Restricting Tech to one faction...i dont find that fun...and im sure everyone else will find it boring too...

My Suggestion is this: Get Rid Of Shipyards, Wormholes, and Bring back Jumpgate Resources..that way...we can spawn an already made ship in the gate...and not wait umpteen minutes just to spawn one from a scenario server...

Scenario servers are just what Jux said...Proving Grounds for n00bs who like to learn this game...i mean you havent learned everything from the newbie server....i mean come on who wants to go into the MV at Commander...a commander would just get eaten alive by Veterns who just want a quick kill and dont wanna bother fighting the other people who have more threatening ships like say..the EAD..

Face it..484 is a dream that will come to pass...but what if its a waste? jack and drafell have made this proposal..but i do believe that Faustus was the one who created this game...and i think he should have a say in what goes in this game and not 2 players...thats just my opinion dont get me wrong tho..i think jack and draf have done an excellent job...but i honestly believe Restrictive modding is a bit much.....

-GT

Email GothThug {C?}
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Page created in 0.010054 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR