No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » 1.4xx Will Save Darkspace!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author 1.4xx Will Save Darkspace!!!
Reason
Cadet

Posted: 2007-09-06 02:24   
W R O N G!!!

It may help, but no single patch will fix things around here. Especially with the way things are these days.

You can disagree with me 'til the cows come home but you are only living in denial, holding out hope that the next big thing will return this place to the old days of Darkspace.

In reality, it is going to take many things working in conjunction to ever get Darkspace back on track to being a successful MMORPG, or even to where it once was.

The Game
The first major hurtle is getting the game and the metaverse into a stable, working environment and as bug/exploit-free as possible. This also includes getting it into as much of a lag-free state as well. The network code has been the number one problem for the last 4 years running. As time was taken away from other areas to focus on the network code everything else started to decline and more bugs and unexpected gameplay ramifications have been the result.

The Metaverse
Where to begin?

The Metaverse has been designed for teamplay. This makes it completely inhospitible to single players and those trying to learn the game. It also makes it nearly impossible to gain ranks in the different styles of gameplay such as engineering and transport because once things are built they stay that way. It is also geared towards those who have made it to the top of the prestige ladder. Which leads us to the next problem, The Metaverse vs Scenario Servers.

Metaverse vs Scenario Servers
It used to be you would join Newbie server to learn the game. As you progressed and gained rank you would join the Captain server and then finally the Fleet Admiral Server (Brought back as the Admiral Server). All three of these servers were geared towards building your profile so you would gain rank and gain experience as well as learn and develop the many different aspects of Darkspace such as Combat and Engineering.

The Metaverse was a persistant version of the Scenario Servers and was geared towards the "Endgame" of Darkspace, or the Fleet Admirals/Grand Admirals. So, it wasn't a friendly place for those new to the game or those trying to do something by themselves.

With the decision made to focus Darkspace 100% on the Metaverse these differences were overlooked and underestimated. As many attempts have been made to phase the Scenario Server type gameplay into the Metaverse it has been lackluster and IMO a failure thus far. The complete picture wasn't taken into consideration and the game itself is now fundamentally flawed because of it.

Please visit this link to help contribute your suggestions on how to deal with this problem.

(http://beta.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=42717&forum=36&0)

Darkspace Beta
This needs to be a major focusing point for the community, but now it has been completely separated from the main portion of the game. Player Feedback is isolated and now even more difficult to locate for those new to the game. Not enough Developer testing has been performed in the past before a new patch is released, which only adds to the bug/exploit problem. Too much focus of the guilt/problems of transitioning from Beta to Release is being thrown onto the customers (At least it has in the past) when it is Palestar's responsibility to provide a working, stable game for release. A lot of work needs to be done behind the scenes as well, but I wont get into that.

Darkspace Public Relations
Darkspace is viewed as a dead/dying game only being supported by a cult following. It has a very steep learning curve and while many try to help support the new players it isn't very "Newbie" friendly. The Development cycle has become a joke (Two Weeks anybody?) and the Volunteer Staff has taken the burden of flack for Darkspace's conditions. Let me not forget the nerf "Permabans" took several years ago which comepletely undermined the staff's authority.

Someone needs to step up and turn things around from a Public Relations standpoint. They need to have the power to back up their words and the willpower to deal with all the crap they will have to sift through and confront to get the job done. They also better be a damn good BS'er,

Darkspace Staff
Apathy has set in to a degree. As staff members have left, their responsibilities haven't been picked up. The overall quality of the staff has also waned with the decline of the game and community itself. Even with all of this, I still give the staff kudos for doing what they do because they still are Volunteers.

One of the problems is the staff needs to take a more active role in trying to cultivate the community back into the constructive and more family oriented feel it once had. They need to motivate themselves to do the mundane and time-consuming activities to keep this ship afloat while the Development side of things catches up (we can only pray)

From me to you staff, Keep up the good work and stay motivated!!!

Darkspace Community
Past and Present. Even those no longer paying for this game are still a part of this community. It also includes those who come back to check in on this place from time to time and those checking to see if that 1.4xx patch fixed things.

If you truely want Darkspace to survive, support it in any way you can. Help the Development crew out and give them feedback. Keep thinking up ways to help solve the many problems that plague this place. Be mature and civil to your fellow gamers and staffmembers alike because they are people too. This may be only a game to some but there is a person behind that ship you just destroyed. Follow the Code of Sportsmanship ingame and in the lobby. Help out those in need of it and try not to add to Darkspace's problems.

You dont hear this too often anymore but to everyone that belongs to the Darkspace Community and especially those still paying for this game Thank You for all of your support and please continue to in the future! This place wouldn't be what it is without you!

Conclusion
So, patch 1.4xx or 1.5xx or the Admiral server or whatever single greatest idea ever will not be the saving grace of this game. It is everything and everyone coming together that will either make or break this place. You can either continue to be apathetic and buy into the "Two weeks" crap or you can try to be positive, constructive and most importantly realistic.

Either way you slice it this game will move forward until that hampster finally runs out of Reason brand Gaifen Snacks that keeps the servers going.

- |2eason -

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-09-06 02:43   
I couldnt agree more reason i think the commmunity needed to hear/see this from you

Email GothThug {C?}
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-09-06 03:51   
Support Cheesecake.

-Ent

And Reason.

kekkk
Cadet

Posted: 2007-09-06 04:05   
Mmm. The one time a month I decide i'm bored and want to check up on the game, and I see Robbie made a post.

Interesting, I completely agree.

Nonthought
Cadet

Posted: 2007-09-06 06:15   
Bit long winded way to say "It'll take work", isn't it?

Reason
Cadet

Posted: 2007-09-06 06:28   
Quote:

On 2007-09-06 06:15, Nonthought wrote:
Bit long winded way to say "It'll take work", isn't it?

Actually, that was the summerized version,

PS: Cheesecake = win

- |2eason -

-RevenG-

Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-09-06 09:28   
You made some good points. Listen to Reason, or be doomed!

Lacrosseian
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-09-06 13:58   
Key Lime Pie > Cheesecake!!!!!!

Don't listen to Ent or Reason!

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-09-06 14:02   
To those with the assumption in the title:

|2eason's post was tl;dr, but as its |2eason, its probably all accurate.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-09-06 14:17   
I agree. I approve. I support.

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-09-06 14:55   
Correct!!!!!!!!

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-09-06 17:39   
I do not approve! I do not support! You're wrong and I'm right!

What proof do I have to support these claims? Absolutely nothing... I just felt like being contrary

I hate it when reason comes & slaps me in the face... it stings

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-09-06 23:30   
"Faith manages." -Delenn

You have always had a way with words, Reason. My congratulations on such an articulate and thoughtful argument.

-Dem

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-09-06 23:40   
we miss you demorian. (you too reason)

Maskerade
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-09-07 00:28   
Passionate as ever |2

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.018866 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR