No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +4.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - almand

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Kanman declares: DarkSpace > EvE
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Kanman declares: DarkSpace > EvE
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-10-01 20:02   
So, I got some upgrades to my computer and decided to give EvE a shot. After about 8 days of play I have decided that EvE is just terrible! It lacks Many things that even a simple game should have.

For example, there is no 'save the day' action. In DS, if someone is bombing and I do nothing, that person wipes out my faction. In EvE, you go and ask for work (missions), and then the game server generates AI ships for you to fight. These AI ships will do nothing negative if you let them live. No one's ship is in danger, no trade routes blockaded, no loss of territory. When I don't want to do a mission, I say no and the game doesnt bother to create the enemies.

Example 2: EvE has 30,000 players online at any given time. Given the 5000 systems this ammounts to about 6 players per system (just like DS), except they dont talk to each other and lack any real reason to interact.

Example 3: Collision detection. EvE doesnt have it! Warp through plants, stars, other ships, stations. Doesn't matter. Shoot enemies through asteroids as if they were out in the open. Watch ships go THROUGH solid objects like asteroids by running into it and wiggling.

Example 4: It is FAR too slow growing. I just start out and I have to wait 15 days worth of skill training to get a ship bigger than a little destroyer. Every device requires more skill training, and most of them (while interesting concepts) aren't worth the cost in ship CPU and power to justify the 'reward' in using them.

The only thing of interest I have found in the game is a complex economy, but I am not paying 15 bucks a month to play on an artificial version of Ebay.

All in all, EvE is pretty, EvE is big, EvE has made some serious wrong turns in developing a "space game", especially since all the website trailers show vast and organized fleets and monster action-packed battles. Hardly any of that to be seen at all.

Faustus, you got it right. Keep up the good work!

[ This Message was edited by: Kanman *FC* on 2007-10-01 20:08 ]

|Kakashi|
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-01 20:16   
Quote:

On 2007-10-01 20:02, Kanman *FC* wrote:
So, I got some upgrades to my computer and decided to give EvE a shot. After about 8 days of play I have decided that EvE is just terrible! It lacks Many things that even a simple game should have.

For example, there is no 'save the day' action. In DS, if someone is bombing and I do nothing, that person wipes out my faction. In EvE, you go and ask for work (missions), and then the game server generates AI ships for you to fight. These AI ships will do nothing negative if you let them live. No one's ship is in danger, no trade routes blockaded, no loss of territory. When I don't want to do a mission, I say no and the game doesnt bother to create the enemies.

Example 2: EvE has 30,000 players online at any given time. Given the 5000 systems this ammounts to about 6 players per system (just like DS), except they dont talk to each other and lack any real reason to interact.

Example 3: Collision detection. EvE doesnt have it! Warp through plants, stars, other ships, stations. Doesn't matter. Shoot enemies through asteroids as if they were out in the open. Watch ships go THROUGH solid objects like asteroids by running into it and wiggling.

Example 4: It is FAR too slow growing. I just start out and I have to wait 15 days worth of skill training to get a ship bigger than a little destroyer. Every device requires more skill training, and most of them (while interesting concepts) aren't worth the cost in ship CPU and power to justify the 'reward' in using them.

The only thing of interest I have found in the game is a complex economy, but I am not paying 15 bucks a month to play on an artificial version of Ebay.

All in all, EvE is pretty, EvE is big, EvE has made some serious wrong turns in developing a "space game", especially since all the website trailers show vast and organized fleets and monster action-packed battles. Hardly any of that to be seen at all.

Faustus, you got it right. Keep up the good work!

[ This Message was edited by: Kanman *FC* on 2007-10-01 20:08 ]

I only have to play it for 3 days and then i quit. IT SUCKS.

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-01 20:18   
from what i understand Eve is about working together in 1 big corporation...its like having an Office..in space....working....ugh...not my idea of fun in a space game...work while you play...biggest understatement of the year XD anyways....glad you've seen the light kan

Email GothThug {C?}
doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-01 20:39   
now we need to make ds ads

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-01 22:16   
EvE = Enourmous Vague Economy.

fearlessjay™
Cadet

Posted: 2007-10-01 22:19   
i agree nothing i liked in EvE except for.... actually i liked nothiing about it
I CON ZPELL GOOD SHAWDUP!

Email fearlessjay™   Goto the website of fearlessjay™
Rhiawhyn Zerinth
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-10-01 22:44   
well let me add the things i dont like about eve sence ds is indeed beter than eve.

1. the"traning" this is jus a way to get people to pay more money for things they dont have to do. its allso a way to keep "inactive players ranking up paying. dont like it at all, im not spending 20 yeats to get rank to a simple transport.

2. travel time. what the hell 4 hours from point a to b? or 5 min form point a to b and get myself killed halfway to b... hmm choices choises *picks 4 hours *gets killed anyway* again do not like this, as even if it says 1.0 security some pirates can and WILL make you explode if they want you to.

3.combat, no wait that isint combat its watching an interactive movie about whats going on. no real skill. its all based on who has the best stuff and who is older ingame. thats it. allso the"orbiting crap is not combat.

4. community.. what community. i ask for help and get flamed and KILLED for asking were is the best spot to mine ... hmm sounds like fun

5. missions... realy they arent missions just things to take up MORE time as 90% of missions require you to leave your current system and go what 2 ours away just to get to the mission location.. and then you find out by some bizzar plot device that they were actualy in the OTHER direction even tho thats the spot the mision told you to go... yea again dont like

6. (edit: had to add this one as i allmost forgot about it.) spam. yes you heard me, SPAM. i dont want to have billboard and millions of cargoboxes ancroed to the ground (empty btw) with corp names and were to sign up. NO god damnit i dea with that on the road and on tv AND on the internet. NOT IN A FRIGEN GAME. im not reading spam as i travel for days to get a single missile. so yea thats one of the main reasons i dont play it

i could go on but i dont want to get booted for posting a wall of flame text sooo... yea you get the point eve is nowere near ds in actual fun

[ This Message was edited by: Fatal Rhiawhyn *TO* on 2007-10-01 22:55 ]

TheHunter
Marshal

Posted: 2007-10-01 23:39   
most of the comments made are fine for sticking with darkspace forever more but i dont see darkspace with 30,000 active players, for real if eve was that bad im sure the game would end up as in dire-straits with active members as ds is right now.

ds has a load of good points and im paying for a game that im not currently playing aka yes im playing eve and we just had multiple new players join complete new characters and there managing the game and economics just fine, in the end eve does make you work together in the corporations any new members joining the corp im in would see why eve works we take the time to help new players and dont flame you as if your a retard.

P.S DO NOT START A FLAME POST.

Goto the website of TheHunter
Zeritu
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-10-01 23:45   
kanman you need to play eve more then 3 days and there is millions of thing todo other then mission. missions give you a small taste of combat. The Real fun is out in 0.0 space where you attack other players.If you get back on EvE lookup 1171a,ObiWanJanobus,Bashiri and myself Zarchon and we will get you going in EvE.

Goto the website of Zeritu
Bash
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-02 00:29   
Kanman eve is a different type of game from ds in the first place.

1)This game was made with more control of your ship then eve.
2)Empire is for newbies to learn the beginner stage real fights and team work were you talk with other members of your alliance/corp/coallition are done in 0.0 held systems.
3)Usually new players dont like eve cause they have nobody to guid them and show them how fun it is and how indepth it is in business sense.
4) Rhia i do remember you making me join eve and make my own corp were you was in it for 3 month till you ran out of sub so dont get made cause your not playing.
5)If you have not notice all the old DS members are on eve and the new members are just jumping up to ds cause they love the game like we all do.
6)As for the waiting to train skills up well thats what made that company have 500k accounts which are active. With players having real lives you wont see them all on at the same time.
01:38:43 Shigernafy: "never trust a brit with your website.."

This message brought to you by the Flying Coffin Foundation"

12:02:07 Doran: "and you never hear AI complaining about how dumb players are"

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-02 01:38   
Hoo boy, how much wrong can you get in one post? Well, a lot, it seems. Lets just ignore the "social interaction" example, because anyone with half a brain can see how that's both wrong and stupid, not to mention moronically bad statistics. And collision detection? Yeah, that's a HUGE part of the game, how do we ever live without that? But let's move on.

Quote:

For example, there is no 'save the day' action.

You get a lot wrong in this single sentence alone. Not to mention you concentrate solely on missions. This is enough for me to dismiss the entire post.

But what the hell, lets do a bit more:

Quote:

You're right. I've never been involved in an hours long battle to (successfully) save a strategic control tower (think starbase) in an enemy system from a larger enemy force that already has its defenses down to near nothing.

You're right. I've never been involved in a massive attack through a blockaded jump gate to attack a similar sized force but which has carrier support able to annihalate our battleships quickly and with bubbles (interdictors) to prevent said battleships from warping out and being preserved.

You're right. I've never been involved in a siege on an enemy system protecting our dreadnaughts from inevitable counterattacks while they are completely immovable and unable to hit a moving battleship, just a control tower's shields.

You're right. I've never been involved in a small fleet action while being massively outnumbered in a blockaded enemy system with no reinforcements, yet being able to coordinate long range battleship raids on said blockades, scoring many more kills than losses.

You're right. I've never been involved in countless 5-10 man fleets, moving quickly through systems, scoring kills on targets of opportunity, and engaging other similar sized fleets with mixed results.

Man I wish the above happened to me. That would be so much fun. Alas, I've been staying in the same high security system, running missions for more than 2 yea....

Oh wait, that's right, the all of the above did happen!

Oh, and if EvE has made any wrong turns, they have yet to show it finacially or player wise. They organize their own convention in Iceland, every year, did you know that? Their servers are powered by one of the top 250 most powerful computers in the world. Think they can afford that without good development or doing something right? I don't see how you go from 30,000 players online to "bad development."

Jesus christ, just get over it. EvE does things better than DarkSpace that appeal to a wider variety of people and have a dedicated support team actively fixing, adjusting, and improving.

Get.

Over.

It.

You lose, good day sir.

Email Tbone
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-10-02 02:16   
There are valid arguments to both side of this debate.

The truth is that there is little point in trying to compare the two games as they are based around two entirely different concepts. The type of player attracted to one game, will not necessarily find the other fun, and vice versa. I don't really have the time, right now, to go into more detail, but I shall try to this evening.

Goto the website of Drafell
Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-02 02:19   
2 different games in a lot of aspects.

Both provide plenty of adrenaline and fun in the right situations.

Eve can even be played on a modem too with minimum lag if you don't fight the big fleet battles.

And even in highsec ( empire space ), you can have some very fun corporate wars and do some nasty stuff. Just lookup "guiding hand social club" in google and wiki. I've been one of their members for a few months and it was a blast even if they operated only in empire.

I prefer DS's gameplay tho, more skill / real-time tactical choices, less RPG esque, less time wasted doing mundane tasks to finance your ships/equipment/warfare, more action oriented.

You make your choice. I made mine.

As for Tbone, Eve isn't that grand and not for everybody, DS is better in many aspects "get over it". Win/win situation FTW/W .

[ This Message was edited by: Diabo|ik on 2007-10-02 04:34 ]

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-10-02 02:31   
Quote:

On 2007-10-02 01:38, Tbone wrote:

You lose, good day sir.

oh, but Mr. Wonka!!

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Nonthought
Cadet

Posted: 2007-10-02 03:32   
Quote:

On 2007-10-02 02:16, Drafell wrote:
debate

I, myself, thought that the debate began and ended with the first line of Bash's post.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027366 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR